Cool & Quite Question

Lifixs

Nov 12, 2007

Sorry if this should be in Motherboards.

I was wondering if you could use cool & quite to extend the lifespan of an overclocked CPU.

Thanks

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Yes. As long as it doesn't interfere with your overclocks it's good to leave enabled.

Just note - C&Q (like Intel's EIST) does two things - it drops the multiplier way down when the CPU's not under heavy load (reducing clockspeed drastically) and it also reduces the vcore by some factor.

So consider: you overclock by increasing fsb (or AMD equivalent), which means that when C&Q kicks in, the chip is still going to be running faster than originally designed in that state (because C&Q doesn't alter fsb at all, just the multiplier to reduce clockspeed). And it may not be stable at the higher speed with the lower C&Q voltage.

Mar 4, 2009
90% of people will say "disable CnQ while overclocking".
but the 10% like me who have an overclock and cnq enabled will say you can have best of both worlds. my nforce 560 mobo manuals even says to disable CNQ while overclocking. HOWEVER like denithor said, CnQ works be lowering the vcore and multiplier when your computer is sitting idle or not needing the power. with that being said, if you can over clock your system by increasing the fsb and not touching the vcore you can have cnq enabled.

on my system i have a x2 6000+ that is stock 3.0, right now the mutliplier is set to auto and my vcore is auto as well in bios, my fsb is 214, so ive got a 3.2 cpu speed with and CNQ is working well.

but yes, CNQ will extend the life of overclocked cpus is you can mangage to figure out how to set it up right. (it also ofc extends life of the stock clocked cpus) saves power to.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
There are some reports of CnQ inhibiting overclocks. I think one of the mods here - maybe Gillbot? - had said that CnQ capped his OC by a couple hundred Mhz. That's actually pretty understandable, as CnQ manipulates both multiplier and voltage. When I work on my OCing, I disable CnQ until I reach OC that I will use, and then I re-enable CnQ. It hasn't adversely affected my OCing so far.

CnQ will work with the Vcore increased.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Most likely CnQ will improve life by not keeping the cpu running at higher voltages/thermals all the time. However, the sudden change in voltage levels from an overclocked state to a low power state could also be damaging to a cpu.