Cookware Question for all the gourmet chefs out there

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I am finally at a point in my life where I want to invest in a quality cookware set. In the past, I have always gone with the cheapo 10pc sets, where food tends to stick, and the non-stick coating comes off if a metal cooking utensil even looks at them funny.

Thing is, I love to cook...but if I am going to invest $500 into cookware, I want something durable yet easy to clean.

I know that Calphalon is a fairly prominant brand, but that doesn't necessarily mean the best value.

So all you gourmet chefs out there...what is the difference between say going stainless steel versus copper or non-stick surface.

Or a better question...if you were to get a 10pc cookware set, which would you choose?

I threw in a poll just based on a few cookware sets that looked promising.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I didn't know you had to be at a certain point in life to have good cookware.
Well bachelor with a transient lifestyle is not typically condusive to nice cookware...having moved 4 times in the past five years, and living in rental properties with less then ideal stoves, having a nice cookware set wasn't a priority.

Now that I live in a nice apartment with quality cooking appliances, it would be nice to have a decent cookware set.

Plus I am getting married, and need to add some crap to the registry.

AmerDoux

Dec 4, 2001
I have the All Clad LTD. I absolutely love it. Cooks beautifully and is easy to clean. Well worth the investment.

I only have two pans that are non-stick and they are both Calpholon. Pretty much the only time I use them is for cooking eggs.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
I no longer use non-stick. I have all-clad although the more I read, the more I am convinced that cheaper brands might be just as good.

elektrolokomotive

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2004
I have a set of Cuisinart Commercial that I've used for over 20 years now. Good heavy stainless with thick copper disk bottom. One of my better investments. 1 Calphalon nonstick skillet, and the rest of my skillets are Lodge cast iron.

Chryso

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2004
All of those are nice sets. I really like the All Clad stainless. However, you are paying a big price for the name. If you aren't as concerned about the name or the look you can get good quality cookware at a restaurant supply store. If you are going for the look then I like the All Clad and Cuisinart stainless.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
As a Chef, I tend not to buy sets but acquire pots and pans by different manufs. I have some Calphalon, All Clad, cast iron, WearEver. It's what you do with them thats important not whether or not they match.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Stainless is very easy to clean, but you have to remember to only cook on medium heat, and it's VERY important that you don't use a burner that's bigger than the pan. Failure to do so will leave carmelized fat stains on the pan and you'll have to get a special cleaner to scrub it off.

Otherwise, stainless will last forever, and it looks beautiful.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Chryso
All of those are nice sets. I really like the All Clad stainless. However, you are paying a big price for the name. If you aren't as concerned about the name or the look you can get good quality cookware at a restaurant supply store. If you are going for the look then I like the All Clad and Cuisinart stainless.

I tell people who are interested in All Clad to get the Emeril cookware set instead. It's essentially an All Clad set with a different type of handle (it's at an angle, plus it's got an ergonomic shape), and there's a lip on the edge of the pans for easy pouring. Great deal for only $200 or so. Sometimes it comes with a free knife and cast iron skillet too.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
So a good quality stainless steel set would be preferential to these hi-tech coating surface options?