Cooking bratwurst

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001
I'm cooking beer bratwurst... how do you guys grill it on the pan without cutting it open to cook the insides??

Whenever I cook it, I have to resort to cutting it even if I cook it slowly :(

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001
Originally posted by: minendo
Boil it in beer for an hour, then grill for 5-10 minutes.

I've heard of this before... I'd love to try it. Don't have the time tonight though :( Can I boil it for just a few minutes for the same effect?

shenaniganz

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2003
if you boil it in beer long enough then any frying or grilling is just to add a little crispiness to the skin of the brat, it should already be cooked all the way through.

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: calbear2000

I've heard of this before... I'd love to try it. Don't have the time tonight though :( Can I boil it for just a few minutes for the same effect?
Not really since boiling actually cooks the brat.

calbear2000

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2001

Alright... I think I can spare 30-40 minutes of boiling. Any recommendation on the beer?

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
I fry them up in a skillet with a thin layer of milk in the skillet. A friend of mine cooked them like that once and ever since then, I cook them the same way she did.

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
When I dont have alot of time I just steam cook it. I stick it in a frying pan with a enough water to go halfway up the brat. Once that boils off I brown the skin, usuallaly add something just for some flavor, like galic (melted in butter) or something of that nature. The trick is to turn the heat down at that point (so as not to burst it). Once you burst your brat you are done, as this means that all of the juices are gone.

Anyways, I guess you could substitute beer for my water, not sure on what brand to use. Irish Stout anyone?

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001

Alright... I think I can spare 30-40 minutes of boiling. Any recommendation on the beer?
Cheapest one available.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Don't know about the beer, but I've settled with just broiling my brats in the oven. It's easy, works better than frying, and I just never liked boiling them.

The Dancing Peacock

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
boil them in beer till they cook through, with onions, garlic and butter in the pan. Grill them till they brown nicely, then 20 minutes back in the pot of beer. It's a long process, but they turn out perfect...

edit, add some black pepper to the boil water.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Boil in beer or water. You don't need to boil them for an hour though... maybe 20 minutes tops. Cut one open to check after 20 minutes. If they are done, brown them up in a skillet/fry pan and enjoy!

R