Convertible for business and general use

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
making a career change, I have been using a company laptop for 13 years and will need to get my own. I have not looked at anything in a long time.

my new role will be working in the field as an electrician/partner in the business, I would like to have a convertible that I can use to jot stuff down when doing a site inspection or quote, make invoices and have them signed, etc. this will also be my primary for general tasks at home both personal and business. no gaming, no video production or anything like that but light CAD usage. 15 in. screen and available docking station or similar to make it easy to hook up to my desk with 2 24 in monitors. would like to be able to run both monitors with the screen on the laptop at the same time, this has been my desk setup for many years. I'll be running it from my phone as a hotspot some of the time. currently very happy with my HP Zbook 15 in, but its not a convertible. will be running quick books, and probably a bit of CAD software for marking up building drawings, etc.

I would like to prioritize build quality, longevity and price will factor in. time frame is about a month or so. I am open to refurbs/outlet/scratch and dent/used from a reliable source.
I really have no clue as to current build quality and value proposition's in the market.

Thanks for any help.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
looking at asus zenbook pro flip 15 ryzen 7 16gb / 512tb ssd

seems in my reading people are recommending the AMD processors quite a bit in this category. I would really value some feedback on build quality of current 2in1's or whatever you what to call them. any reason to doubt this advice?

the dell insparon seems to be a terrible choice by reviews.

lenova is on the table. looks like they are more in the 14 in category, which I can live with, options here are mostly intel.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Where do you see a zenbook pro 15 flip ryzen? The Intel variant is not out yet it appears. My wife's zenbook pro 15 doesn't have dp on its type c port. Annoying that the spec wasn't clear.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
maybe i was looking at a non-flip model. should have posted the link.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
The zenbook pro oled is nice. Like I said the Ryzen 9 one not having dp in its type c port was the annoying part. Wife works with multiple laptops so it made switching a pain.

Last edited:

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
I did not realize the rest of the site was so dead.
@sdifox the build quality of the asus stuff is above avg?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I did not realize the rest of the site was so dead.
@sdifox the build quality of the asus stuff is above avg?

I wouldn't know what the average is. Not like I buy laptops all the time. I just make sure to pick the upper tier lines. At least it doesn't feel flimsy and has a metal frame.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
If you like your zBook (I'm assuming Firefly), why not a Surface Laptop Studio? It's got nice build quality, very good display, a fairly unique hinging system that gives you quite a few use options, and should be supported for a long time to come as a first-party Microsoft product. Combine with the Surface Pen and Surface Dock 2 and you've got your monitor + device connectivity at home + the ability to draw and work on the screen while on the go.