Convert win 8.1 laptop to simple (linux) word processor

Mar 15, 2003
I have a dell flip top 2 in one that's a pretty well built machine but underpowered for win 8.1 (atom, 2 gigs of ram, mechanical hard drive). hd access shoots up to 100% and slows to a crawl, so just typing a document slows to a workflow busting crawl. i reach for my chromebook 9 times out of 10, but I'm be able to run programs such as celt x (freeware screenwriting software) on it.

I'm not a hobbyist and do not enjoy tinkering or shell commands, I just want something that works. Simplist linux distribution to get working on this? The last time I tried to install unbuntu I had a strange efi bios error.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I don't deal with Linux too much outside of work, but make sure you are able to get drivers for whatever distro you choose, and that there is compatible software for what you are wanting to do with it.

Also, you problems sound like nothing an SSD couldn't clear up.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Get a flash drive,download yumi get started testing distros.
I propose puppy wary it's very small and minimal but has all essential software, a decent word processor amongst them.
It does not need to be installed so that saves you a lot of hassle,it can save any changes you make to the os to a special file that will be written to your hard drive or to your flash if you prefer,text documents you can save straight away to your windows partition or to wherever.

You dont have to worry about drivers as long as you only want the basics,worst case you end up with a smaller resolution,sound drivers might be a problem if you like to listen to music while "working" :p

kommisar

May 21, 2012
I have a dell flip top 2 in one that's a pretty well built machine but underpowered for win 8.1 (atom, 2 gigs of ram, mechanical hard drive). hd access shoots up to 100% and slows to a crawl, so just typing a document slows to a workflow busting crawl. i reach for my chromebook 9 times out of 10, but I'm be able to run programs such as celt x (freeware screenwriting software) on it.

I'm not a hobbyist and do not enjoy tinkering or shell commands, I just want something that works. Simplist linux distribution to get working on this? The last time I tried to install unbuntu I had a strange efi bios error.

I'm not sure exactly which model you are trying to run linux on but given that it is running 8.1 I guessing it is fairly new. Because of this you will need a linux with a fairly new kernel in order to insure there are drivers for the hardware. In addition you have 2 GB of RAM so you want a lightweight desktop environment. I suggest a debian jessie net install cd with the non-free firmware which will give you the best chance of getting the hardware to work out of the box. You can find this here:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/u...so-cd/firmware-jessie-DI-rc3-i386-netinst.iso

Follow the instructions found here but use the iso I linked above:

https://linuxpanda.wordpress.com/20...tinst-minimal-iso-step-by-step-with-pictures/

In step 7, instead of installing xfce, install lxde by using the command "apt-get install task-lxde-desktop". You don't need steps 8 or 9 since the desktop should include all that stuff. You will have to reboot though...

Instructions on burning the iso to a usb drive can be found here:

http://emacstragic.net/how-to-make-a-bootable-usb-stick-in-windows-7-of-a-debian-iso/

Ho