Convert pc speakers to home theater?

jaysison

Jul 29, 2003
Hi, I really like the sound of my Logitech z5300e as I'm not really that big of an audiophile. This being said, I would like to convert it to my home theater system speakers. However, as you all know about the matrix mode, I don't like the effect produced as this only gives a kind of mirror sound from the front. Is there any way that I can produce true surround sound? Would this be from buying either a Creative DDTS-100 or a home audio receiver? thanks in advance.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
If you got a receiver that had 5.1 pre-outs, that could be a way to hook up to those speakers.

A DDTS-100 would also accomplish the same task.

That said, I think you might be best served by just changing your speakers to z-5500s or z-680s if you can find them. You'll get digital inputs in addition to a more robust system overall.

Low budget receivers tend not to have pre-outs, and the DDTS-100 can be hard to find now. I haven't looked what kind of cost there is to getting one lately.

For my suggestion of the z-5500s you're not only getting that same functionality, but you're getting better quality as well. If you can sell your z-5300s (or make them into a Christmas present for somebody etc.), it might not cost you much more than the Creative solution.

If you see yourself (despite not being "that big of an audiophile") getting some real speakers in the future, then the receiver route may be the way to go as you'd be leaving yourself a good upgrade path.

jaysison

Jul 29, 2003
okay thanks a lot for the advice. looks like its time to look for the ddts-100 as i am already satisfied with the sound my 5300 is producing. the ddts-100 has optical outputs, doesnt it?

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: jaysison
okay thanks a lot for the advice. looks like its time to look for the ddts-100 as i am already satisfied with the sound my 5300 is producing. the ddts-100 has optical outputs, doesnt it?

I don't think so, but it does have what you want, optical inputs.