• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

convert front pc jack from mono to stero?

wjgollatz

Oct 1, 2004
My PC has front and rear headphone jacks. The front jack on the chassis is mono, and the rear is stereo. Is there a way to convert the front jack to stereo?

Realtek HD Audio Manager
Driver Date 9/10/2013 version 6.01.7037

MSI Z77A-G45 BIOS Date: 09/29/13 version 04.06.05

Since I posted this - it seems I have a wiring issue with the motherboard, or the case. The motherboard supports HD audio to the front, and the Antec 300 2 case supports HD audio as well. I rechecked the motherboard wiring to the chassis, but still mono out the front.

Last edited:

bonehead123

Nov 6, 2013
you have to change the actual jack itself. the contacts inside the jacks are different for mono vs stereo, as are the ones on your headphone plug that goes into the jack....

and yes, a trip to radioshack is in your future :)

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
you have to change the actual jack itself. the contacts inside the jacks are different for mono vs stereo, as are the ones on your headphone plug that goes into the jack....

and yes, a trip to radioshack is in your future :)
In other words, the shortcoming is the jack on the case, not the mobo... although I find it odd any modern case has a mono headphone jack. You may have to do a little case modding, but it should be relatively easy. What kind of case are we talking about here.

bonehead123

Nov 6, 2013
I find it odd any modern case has a mono headphone jack. You may have to do a little case modding, but it should be relatively easy. What kind of case are we talking about here.
Mono jacks are .00315782%:)o) cheaper than stereo jacks.....and in this day of razor thin margins in the pc industry, the mfgr's will shave a penny or 2 anywhere & everywhere they can.....

all things being equal, no modding should be necessary, disconnect the wire, remove the old jack, install the new one & reconnect the wire..... the jacks themselves are all the same size physically, the only difference is on the inside like I said before.

I suggest you take the mono jack with you to r/s & compare it to the stereo one to be sure you get the right type....

ASK THE COMMUNITY