Convert evaluation copy of Windows 7 to retail copy?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I'm curious if there was a method (officially supported or otherwise) to convert a Windows 7 evaluation copy to the retail version.

I needed to build a Windows system image for some new hardware we received (It's a special Embedded POS edition), but didn't have a retail copy of the software at the time. I used the evaluation copy from Microsoft's web site to build the system image and test out the hardware, and would like to use that image for deployments once I get a working license key. If I can't convert the OS from the evaluation version, though, I'll need to start over from scratch.

(Again, I'm not trying to pirate anything. I'm buying a retail license key for this)

Has anyone successfully pulled this off before?

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
If you've built the image without a key installed then all you should have to do is just simply enter the purchased key and activate.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I installed a later build on my desktop for testing purposes, and it was ready and willing to accept a key. After that I would suppose it would just download the current build, same as my original preview build did.