Contractor screwed up my patio installation - what should I do?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I wish there had been a spoiler alert in the OP saying there were no updates. LOL. I just read through this whole thing, holding my breath, hoping for a great ending....and then

I'm glad you posted this. I read the whole first page then came to the last page to see if there were any new updates since it was an older thread recently responded to. Now I don't have to go back and read the other 4. God bless you sir!

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
End result: the entire thing was jackhammered out except for the footers, then the whole thing was redone with pavers. This time, everything is smooth and has the proper, slight grade to it so that water doesn't puddle and flows away from the house. I got enough money back to effectively have paid just below the original quote, but I got a slight upgrade (the pavers) out of it. The only bad side was the stress and consumption of time. I'm happy with the end result, though. Everything was properly permitted, inspected, etc. The second contractor really kicked some ass and saved the day.

I moved on with my life and forgot about this thread. The patio is nice. We've tested it with several parties. A++ will party again.

Reactions: Scarpozzi and Ns1

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Would you care to fill us in on how exactly it was resolved, rather than just the end result? Did the original contractor refund your money, did Amex refund you, did you have to sue... ?

Reactions: Humpy

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
End result: the entire thing was jackhammered out except for the footers, then the whole thing was redone with pavers. This time, everything is smooth and has the proper, slight grade to it so that water doesn't puddle and flows away from the house. I got enough money back to effectively have paid just below the original quote, but I got a slight upgrade (the pavers) out of it. The only bad side was the stress and consumption of time. I'm happy with the end result, though. Everything was properly permitted, inspected, etc. The second contractor really kicked some ass and saved the day.

I moved on with my life and forgot about this thread. The patio is nice. We've tested it with several parties. A++ will party again.

You should update your OP with this info @slugg . :) Glad it worked out in the end.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Speak for yourself. I was at the Labor Day gathering. The ceviche was awesome, and they presented us with some nice young pinots from their vineyard.
Well eff me. Looks like boomerang is my only friend and I ain't riding to MI.

Does that mean eff me twice......hmmmm

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
When concrete is poured, it has to be left alone for a few hours so it can set up before it's smoothed out. When I had my garage floor done, I picked a cool day and hired a crew that specialized in concrete designs... I setup most of the job for them, but they corrected me on a few things and insisted on pouring a thicker slab. (which they made no additional money on) There were maybe 8 guys on site for the pour and it was a father/son business. I hope to do business with them in the future... Good luck finding contractors that are either too general or only sub stuff out to guys who work cheap. (merely acting as middlemen)

I've heard a lot of stories of contractors who get into jobs, take partial pay before they're finished and walk off the site never to return. Then the job has to be corrected or redone entirely by a new contractor. Be careful.