Continuous high-pitched noise -- what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
So for the past week or so I've heard this continuous (24/7), very subtle (but very annoying when trying to sleep) high-pitched noise in my apartment. I can hear it best in my bedroom (by a window) and my bathroom (towards the inside of my building). I live above, below, and next to others. I tried shutting off all the breakers and it was still there. It sounds like an electrical buzz or perhaps a distant generator or engine. I can't really hear it outside, but that could be due to all the distracting noises. I know it's a long shot, but any ideas? Any tricks for learning to love annoying noises?

Download the sound here. I can hear it with my headphones turned all the way up, though there's some background noise too.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
How the fuck are we supposed to know if you're there and can't tell what it is?
You're supposed to give me ideas, duh. Then I can investigate.

Besides, I said it was a long shot.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: legoman666
I put old CRT TV's around your place. You're going to go crazy. Mauhahahaha
Or I'll just have to keep wearing ear plugs every night...

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
flyback transformer; in a TV. on a utility pole. in someones homemade singing tesla coil. in the cancerous growth between your left eyeball and your right eyeball.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: thirtythree

Me nailing Jessica Alba is a long shot...this is the freak from Goonies getting a 4 way w Alba, Angelina and Keyra Augustina.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
If it was tinnitus, wouldn't I hear it with ear plugs on too? I'm pretty sure it's not, but I'm about to go to work... I'll try to find a quiet place there and see if I hear anything.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

There's a small insect, generally burrows into the mattress and lays dormant, but occasionaly one becomes restless and begins to ascend to the surface. As they rise to the top they begin to emit a mating call that humans perceive as a high pitched buzzing. Careful, because the female lays her fertilized eggs in sleeping humans.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
is there a power pole outside your window? or a street light? those ones that reset themselves when starting to wear down make a noise similar. i can hear them start and stop all the time. electrical gear would vibrate enough to hear inside if it was close to your windows, but not necessarily be audible outside near it, since it vibrates thru the ground. if the components are failing inside it could possibly get louder over time. maybe the lonely college coed chick next door is trying out new toys? by far the best one to investigate first.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
The listening government's listening devices have malfunctioned and are feeding back.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
So for the past week or so I've heard this continuous (24/7), very subtle (but very annoying when trying to sleep) high-pitched noise in my apartment. I can hear it best in my bedroom (by a window) and my bathroom (towards the inside of my building). I live above, below, and next to others. I tried shutting off all the breakers and it was still there. It sounds like an electrical buzz or perhaps a distant generator or engine. I can't really hear it outside, but that could be due to all the distracting noises. I know it's a long shot, but any ideas? Any tricks for learning to love annoying noises?

Are you married? That would certainly explain an annoying high pitched whine. The only way to learn to love it is lots of alcohol :beer:

Reactions: Pick2

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: hanoverphist
is there a power pole outside your window? or a street light? those ones that reset themselves when starting to wear down make a noise similar. i can hear them start and stop all the time. electrical gear would vibrate enough to hear inside if it was close to your windows, but not necessarily be audible outside near it, since it vibrates thru the ground. if the components are failing inside it could possibly get louder over time. maybe the lonely college coed chick next door is trying out new toys? by far the best one to investigate first.
My neighbor's a middle-aged man, but it's worth a try...

Status
Not open for further replies.