Contemporary components.

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
I just updated from the bottom to the top rig in sig. I was struck how much better all the new components performed which are of the same generation (e.g.the 4770K 4.8 didn't much like hanging with the 6990s but almost started having sex with the 290s before I intervened). Personally I will in future try and do 'generational upgrades' rather than incrementals always in future because I can't polish a turd..Mr Enermax I love you and dead or alive you're coming with me.
Incremental or Revolutionary? What say you!

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
I just updated from the bottom to the top rig in sig. I was struck how much better all the new components performed which are of the same generation (e.g.the 4770K 4.8 didn't much like hanging with the 6990s but almost started having sex with the 290s before I intervened). Personally I will in future try and do 'generational upgrades' rather than incrementals always in future because I can't polish a turd..Mr Enermax I love you and dead or alive you're coming with me.
Incremental or Revolutionary? What say you!

haha,that was a funny post dude,i see your point about the 4770k.the 290s are newer and sexier can you blame it:p.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
It really depends. SSDs haven't gained much in the past few years except getting cheaper and graphics performance even with the refresh isn't up at the same price point. By and large its about assessing each component and the individual progress of them. If you had a 5 year old 1TB hard drive then you aren't going to find a modern 1TB hard drive is any faster, but a 5000 series card is going to get snomped by a modern GPU. An i7 920 overclocked is comparable to one of today's CPUs without the overclocking, because the increases have been quite tiny in comparison. Different components just have different speeds of progress, buying generationally is inefficient if the purpose is to have one computer.

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
I don't really believe an overclocked 920 is the same as a stock new CPU. I am experiencing what I genuinely feel uncomfortable about because its tangibly real world gaming but quicker! The 920 OC in MP cannot compete with the 4770k and furthermore not the 290xfire. I play ArmA 3 MP but loads of random friendly AI and nme plus lots of other player units means fks a 920. I know I own and played it (well) for 3 years.