Contemplating HTPC build...which mobo?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs' started by NoSweat88, Jul 20, 2018.

1. NoSweat88

NoSweat88 Junior Member

Forum members,

I've gotten the "build your own HTPC" bug. My desires are pretty high and I'm pretty sure I know what I need....with an exception.

In the long run, I'm looking for an HTPC that can sit in my media stand and look nice (Silverstone case....prob Guardia 09) and play 4K HDR content...files, discs, and streaming....and (down the road) do Virtual Reality.

My TV is a new TCL S series 4k TV (awesome, BTW).

I know that I will eventually need an nVidia GTX 1070 or 1080 GPU for the VR to work best.

What I want to do now is the 4k HDR video files and streaming. Since I'm doing this in phases, I want the CPU/ mobo to handle the 4k HDR streaming/ playback until I can get the GPU. I know it will need to support HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 from the start to the end. The nVidia will handle that when I get enough money.

I will be getting an Intel Core i5 Kaby Lake CPU...probably Core i5 7600K

Where I'm stuck is the mobo...I can't seem to find enough detailed specs to find both HDCP 2.2 and HDMI support. I found a Reddit post asking for mobo testers, but it is about a year and a half old and most of the boards are $$$.

I need suggestions...anyone?

Thanks in advance.

NoSweat88

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Contemplating HTPC build Forum Date
    HEVC & HTPC for Plex Server Home Theater PCs Jul 29, 2018
    How to stop a Windows 8 HTPC from showing up under Network? Home Theater PCs Mar 20, 2018
    Looking to standardize a W10 HTPC that does OTA tuning/guide Home Theater PCs Mar 7, 2018
    Questions on setting up voice control for HT with a HTPC Home Theater PCs Jan 19, 2018
    Suggestions on HTPC build Home Theater PCs Dec 31, 2017

3. XavierMace

XavierMace Diamond Member

ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming ITX/ac or Gigabyte Aorus Z270X Gaming 9. Both have been confirmed on the Bluray forums.

4. NoSweat88

NoSweat88 Junior Member

XavierMace

Thanks for the reply...the Fatal!ty has way too many bad reviews for me to take a chance...tho most of the bad reviews are for features that I don't think will affect me. The Aorus Gaming 9 is $500 new, if I can find it new...most offers are used or refurbished.

If I have to spend $500 on a mobo, I'll just wait a little and get the nVidia 1080 GPU. and use a less expensive mobo with a Coffee Lake processor. My only hold up with the Coffee Lake is lack of h.265 support (as I understand it...I'm a total N00b with this whole 4k video thing, so I'm trying to learn as I go. I never got into the gaming "thing" so I've had no previous need to look at black hole of performance graphics.)

As it stands, I'm leaning toward the Coffee Lake/ Z370 mobo and start with a less expensive 1060 GPU. I think I can get all the 4K HDR support I'm looking for while getting my foot in the door with VR ( I think :) )

5. realibrad

realibrad Diamond Member

Is there any reason you want skylake over 8th gen? If you got an 8400 you could get this mobo which supports HDMI 4k 60hz.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BQCZNKB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I think the only thing that the 7600K has over the 8400 is the ability to OC, but, the 8400 should be the better chip overall for HTPC. You can also get the 8500 for $214 or the 8600 for $239 vs the 7600k which is $228.

6. whm1974

whm1974 Diamond Member

I would go with the i7-8700 as that will give you the best performance and I wouldn't overclock a HTPC system anyway.