Contagious Diseases and Food Preparation

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
There is this woman at my grocery store that works in the Deli. I walked by her one day and she was wearing a paper respirator. I thought that was kinda odd. I assumed she has allergies and she was keeping dust from her mouth/nose. The curiosity was killing me so I asked someone else in the deli about it.

The girl has HERPES all around her mouth. She is using the paper respirator to cover them up. I almost barfed when she said that. I sometimes buy breakfast from the deli. I will never do it again. What grossed me out more is that the herpes on her mouth "leak" all the time. Clear fluid runs out of them all the time.

Is there any health law that is being violated? This woman cooks breakfast/lunch, she handles deli meats, bakes cookies, cakes, and anything else involved with a typical grocery deli.

GROSS GROSS GROSS!!

Ariel

Aug 1, 2000

<< the herpes on her mouth &quot;leak&quot; all the time. Clear fluid runs out of them all the time >>

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! :disgust:

I don't know if any health laws are violated or not, but that is sick.

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
You have to keep an eye on food prep, and you're lucky when you can actually see what's going on and know what to avoid. I know at some fast food places (like Subway) the same person who takes the money and makes change goes over and makes the sandwich, w/no hand washing in between. Money is very dirty, they find all kinds of &quot;fun&quot; stuff on it when tested :disgust::disgust:

IamDavid

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
There is nothing that can be done by her employer either.. She could sue if fired due to a health problem. I've have problems hiring people and then finding out they have some kind of health issues.. Unfortunately nothing can be done.

Dedpuhl

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
same person who takes the money and makes change goes over and makes the sandwich, w/no hand washing in between.

At the Subway next to the store I work, the people wash their hands after every single sandwich they make. I am surprised that their hands don't look like prunes.