Consumer Reports, you so crazay!

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by Bateluer, Jan 5, 2013.

1. thecapsaicinkid

thecapsaicinkid Senior member

Because almost every person I've heard banging on (usually with great conviction) about how these phones are too big have never actually lived with one.

2. Eug

Eug Lifer

I'm living with a 4.7" phone, one without a big bezel. I think it's too large. Very awkward to use one-handed.

However, I'm not complaining too much because I got the phone for free.

3. openwheel

openwheel Platinum Member

Operating a 5 inch Droid DNA feels great one handed to me. I guess some of you just have tiny hands.

4. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

Or we're left handed and most of the Android menus and such are placed on the top right of the screen. Can you comfortably reach the very top of the opposite site of the phone with your thumb? It sure doesn't work for me so I end up using 2 hands more often than I feel I should.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining and I'll take that minor annoyance over being forced to use anything from Apple any day.

5. KentState

KentState Diamond Member

Same here and now a Note 2. I passed my G3 to my wife and that phone feels tiny in my hands now.

6. KeithTalent

KeithTalent Elite Member Administrator No Lifer
    Administrator

Agreed.

KT

7. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

There are a lot of iPhones still sold, thats why I said when given a choice. If you want an iPhone theres one current model to chose from, but even there the size is increasing.

"The big phone cadre" on this forum has nothing to do with the overwhelming preference of the general public for bigger screens. While you might be right when you say a lot of people dont like bigger phones the actual proportion is probably in a minority.

8. Deeko

Deeko Lifer

So? It's a very big market. If the Ford F150 were the best selling car, does that mean they shouldn't make high end mid size cars? Plus, like I said...unless you want an iPhone, you have to make a choice between screen size or features. Smaller but still high end Android / Windows Phone doesn't exist. If it did, maybe it would sell well, maybe it wouldn't. We don't know.

And all of that is irrelevant to the point that the trolls on this forum are insistent that people that don't like big phones haven't used them. They are simply incorrect or lying.

9. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

To those bitching that your phone is to big, why the f did you buy it then? Sounds really retarded to me.

10. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

Doesn't it make logical sense that if they think that they are too large, they wouldn't actually buy one? Perhaps some might change their mind after using one for a while, but I suspect that most people would still want something smaller, and committing to a two-year contract or an unlocked device could be an expensive proposition for someone who's already conflicted about such devices.

11. Deeko

Deeko Lifer

Try reading harder then.

12. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

I'll trust that the companies that sell phones and want to make as much cash as possible and who spend a fortune on market research probably know more than we do.

13. badb0y

badb0y Diamond Member

That's a weird way of putting it.

14. WelshBloke

WelshBloke Lifer

What? You think companies just release randomly sized phones and it's just coincidence that they are all releasing bigger ones?

Or maybe they spend money to find out what the market wants?

15. Oyeve

Oyeve Lifer

I read fine. It's stupid to insinuate that people who bought phones with big screens bought them because they saw no other choice. Stupid.

16. badb0y

badb0y Diamond Member

Doesn't Apple make the most money off their smartphones? Last time I checked they sell a 4 inch phone.

17. openwheel

openwheel Platinum Member

the market demands big screen so we have sizes like 4.7, 4.8, and even 5.0. The problem is a lack of "high end" phone with 4.3 or smaller screen size. The only one is iPhone5 and maybe the Razr M comes close. They really should've released a GS3 mini with better specs.

As far as 4.7 and larger phones, if your fingers are too short, then don't buy it. It's that simple.

18. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

Apple may make the most profit, but there's more actual Android handsets out there. But every company other than Apple is making a mix of phone sizes because they realize that there is no one true size. And even Apple is starting to acknowledge this by finally releasing a larger iPhone and a smaller iPad.

19. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

They mostly did that because Android devices outsell iDevices ~5:1. More of an 'oh shit, oh shit!' response.

I've gone from a 3.7" device to a 4.3" device to a 4.65" devices to a 4.7" device, and been happy every time. Not sure how I'd fare with a Note-esque sized device though. I've some slimmer fit jeans to show of my muscular thighs, a 5"+ phone might be inconvenient.

20. Nothinman

Nothinman Elite Member

That's the point, the market is driving the form factors and Apple is finally giving up some of their hubris and saying that maybe ~3.5in and ~10in aren't the only and perfect size for everyone on the planet.

21. Eug

Eug Lifer

LOL.

22. kyrax12

kyrax12 Platinum Member

Is the Optimus G really such a great phone?

Anyone here have experience with it?

23. Puddle Jumper

Puddle Jumper Platinum Member

Yes, it has a excellent screen and a top of the line S4 Pro SoC.

24. ImDonly1

ImDonly1 Platinum Member

It is what the Nexus 4 is based on...
    and it doesn't have the throttling issues.

Not sure on the rest of the phone skin, etc though.

25. MrX8503

MrX8503 Diamond Member

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. The 5 being the worst is a bit far reaching though.