Consumer Reports reveals successful diet tips (It's all about the exercise)

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Consumer Reports reveals successful diet tips
May 7, 2002 Posted: 10:12 AM EDT (1412 GMT)

YONKERS, New York (CNN) -- The best diet may be no diet at all, according to a new survey by Consumer Reports magazine.

The study of more than 32,000 dieters found that an overwhelming majority of "successful losers" took a do-it-yourself approach and credited exercise -- not food deprivation -- as their top strategy.

"Our report overturns the long-held conviction that to lose weight, you have to enroll in an expensive program, buy special food, or follow the regimen of a particular diet guru," said Consumer Reports senior editor Nancy Metcalf.

In fact, very few of those who lost weight and kept it off had tried commercial diet plans, meal replacement bars and shakes, or dietary supplements.

Consumer Reports found that nearly a quarter of those questioned had success with their diets, including 8,000 "successful losers" who lost at least 10 percent of their starting weight and kept it off for a year, and 4,000 "superlosers" who maintained their weight loss for five years or more.

"One of our most important findings is that diets that work need to match an individual's personal needs and preferences," said lead researcher Donato Vaccaro. "In fact 83 percent of the 'superlosers' said they lost weight entirely on their own."

Only 14 percent of "superlosers" had ever signed up with Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, or another commercial diet program, according to results of the survey. A mere 6 percent in that category used dietary supplements or another non-prescription weight loss aid, such as Metabolife or Dexatrim.

The vast majority -- 88 percent -- stayed away from Slim Fast and other meal replacements.

Consumer Reports found one strategy common to nearly all the success stories: exercise.

Those who exercised at least three times a week ranked it as the number one factor in their weight loss success. Many others credited increasing the physical activity in their daily routines -- taking the stairs rather than the elevator, for example. Lifting weights was also popular among successful dieters.

Based on its survey, Consumer Reports recommends keeping several things in mind when deciding what to eat:

- Eat high-fiber, whole grain foods instead of white bread, potatoes, sugar and pasta.

- Eat enough protein, which helps stave off hunger.

- Eating water-filled fruits and vegetables will make you feel full.

- Don't eliminate all fats. Those found in nuts, avocados, olives and fish may protect against heart disease.

- Be persistent.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Although I'm glad to see it published, this isn't earth-shattering information, and because its not earth-shattering, it will hardly dissuade anyone who desires to lose weight from trying weight loss gimmicks. Everyone knows that hard work is the only way to properly and safely lose weight - everyone - whether or not they are willing to admit it. It is no different than wanting to have a muscular physique, but instead of getting one's ass into a gym and putting in the hard work, you sit around feeling sorry for yourself.

For some odd reason, nobody would feel empathetic or sympathetic to someone who said this:

"I just don't understand it [boo hoo]. I sit around on the couch eaching potato chips, but I'm still not building muscle."

While some of us might find more understanding and polite words, every one of us would be thinking "DUH! You dumb ass! If you want to build muscle, you have to get your ass off the couch and into the gym!"

But if someone said this:

"I just don't understand it [boo hoo]. I try all these diets and pills but I'm still not losing weight [or can't keep the weight off."

Many of us, for some reason, would allow this person to wallow in their own self-pitty, if not join them. Probably because a lot of us have a few pounds we would like to lose but are too lazy, also. So its kinda hard to bash yourself, but what I do not understand is the fundamental dishonesty that so many of us are willing to not only tolerate, but contribute to or participate in.

There are only two kinds of fat people: the self-loathing and the lazy.

The self-loathing ones try weight loss gimmicks because they want to fail, thus giving them another reason to self-loath.

The lazy ones try weight loss gimmicks because...well...because they are lazy and are only willing to try the "easy" way to lose weight.

Both involve a hefty (no pun intended) amount of deception and dishonesty, not only with one's self but others, as well.

I have more than a few pounds I would like to lose, but I will not tolerate dishonesty with myself or anyone else. The reason I'm overweight is because I exercise way too little, and consume way too many calories (which includes drinking too much soda pop). That's it! Not because I have "bad genes" or because my "metabolism is slow" or because "I gain weight just looking at food" or because "my family is fat".

Those are EXCUSES, not reasons.

Oh, and which group do I belong to? The lazy.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: tcsenter

Oh, and which group do I belong to? The lazy.

LOL...

I belong to neither group, and when I had 25 extra pounds on me, I still belonged to neither group. I was in the "denial" group. :)

But I posted this because I've been trying to tell people they need to exercise to lose weight, and that diet has very little to do with it... especially diets that leave you hungry.

And ever since I lost the weight and started progressing quite nicely in weight training, I'm taking in nearly twice as many calories, and gaining no fat. Once you lose the weight, you can decrease the intensity of your cardio exercises dramtically. I've slowed down the pace and duration of my runs, and do cycling and eliptical in place of many of my runs. If I were to find any fat creeping back on, I'd just increase the duration and frequency of my cardio workouts.

To me, this is FAR easier and far more healthy than starving myself.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I belong to neither group, and when I had 25 extra pounds on me, I still belonged to neither group. I was in the "denial" group.
Well I should have written there are only two types of fat people who unsuccessfully try to lose weight. There is a third group, those who aren't trying to lose weight at all. :p

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: tcsenter
I belong to neither group, and when I had 25 extra pounds on me, I still belonged to neither group. I was in the "denial" group.
Well I should have written there are only two types of fat people who unsuccessfully try to lose weight. There is a third group, those who aren't trying to lose weight at all. :p

There ya go :)

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Here's what I think of this report: No sh!t!?!

Everyone should have learned this from their PE teacher.

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
I belong to the group of fat people that for 85% of any given day is not worried about it. For 10% of the day, get's kind of anxious and thoughtful and worried about being fat. The remaining 5% of the day is spent eating as much as possible because of an innate fear that the previous 10% of the day may actually result in a diet.

It'd be funnier if it wasn't a fairly accurate portrayal.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Jellomancer
Here's what I think of this report: No sh!t!?!

Everyone should have learned this from their PE teacher.

The problem is, most people didn't.

The majority of people out there still believe in snake oil. Even people who are already fit. Have you noticed the amount of snake oil products marketed towards already fit people?

It's amazing.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Gotta love people that list all the diets they've been on and then wonder why they're still overweight. I used to weigh 265, right now I'm at 215 and still dropping weight. Only changes I made were stopped eating garbage (Fast food, pop, candy and other similar crap) and exercised a little more. SO hard now isn't it?

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Give a man a pill and he'll think he's healthy for a day. Teach a man to excercise and he'll by healthy his whole life.

Yep, for starters you simply need to burn more calories than you take in. It's that simple.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Rational thinking and logic 101:

Ok, so I would like to lose weight, but losing weight is hard, I don't like exercise all that much, and I really like sitting at my computer, reading, or watching TV. So I have a decision to make, I have to decide what is more important to me, what my priorities are.

Is losing the weight and all of its benefits worth giving up the enjoyment I receive from sitting at my computer, reading, or watching TV? If so, then I don't have a problem, the choice has been made, losing weight it is.

If it isn't worth it, then I MUST ACCEPT that I'm going to be overweight as long as I value other things more. Ok, no problem.

I don't understand these people who are steeped in such disfunctional thinking that they want to have it all ways; they want to have their cake, eat it to, and their feelings are all hurt because they can't have it.

Well, I take that back, I CAN understand wanting to have it all ways. I would like to be able to have it all ways, I think everyone does. If it were POSSIBLE to have it all ways, then I'd surely be first in line for it. But that is fantasy thinking, it is not reality.

I know that back here on earth people don't get to have it all ways and I must accept the trade-offs and choices I make, or I can be a very unhappy and bitter person. It is also the reality that many people CHOOSE unhappiness and bitterness. Why, I have no clue, but they sure as hell do...in large numbers.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
tcsenter, aren't you a medical doctor? Once you feel the burn there's no going back, baby! ;)

schizoid

Banned
May 27, 2000
What I don't get is why this continues to be such a freakin mystery for people. You wanna lose weight? Expend more calories than you take in.

End of story.

Now, there are healthy and unhealthy ways to go about this, but still...Doesn't matter what you eat, doesn't matter how much you run/jog/swim/etc. Just make sure that at the end of the day, you've spent more than you earned.

Simple freakin' concept that I've never seen a girl (and rarely a guy) master for any length of time.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: schizoid
What I don't get is why this continues to be such a freakin mystery for people. You wanna lose weight? Expend more calories than you take in.

End of story.

Now, there are healthy and unhealthy ways to go about this, but still...Doesn't matter what you eat, doesn't matter how much you run/jog/swim/etc. Just make sure that at the end of the day, you've spent more than you earned.

Simple freakin' concept that I've never seen a girl (and rarely a guy) master for any length of time.

The key is you have to expend. Simply limiting intake wont do it. That's why diets fail, and people end up fatter than before. Limiting calorie intake simply teaches your body how to better store, and retain fat. Exercise teaches your body how to better manage calories.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
tcsenter, aren't you a medical doctor? Once you feel the burn there's no going back, baby!
Not an M.D.

I used to work out, lift weights, swim, and do martial arts. Then around the age of 20, school and work began to take up all my time, leaving nothing left for working out. Plus, I picked up a lot of bad eating habits always being on the go, vending machine, fast food, and convenience store living. That was my choice. I certainly didn't wake up one morning being 35 pounds overweight, it happened quite gradually.

My biggest problem for a few years now has been soda pop and I've actually cut down a lot. I used to drink - get this - on average of 1300 calories per day JUST IN MOUNTAIN DEW! Yeah, so that's not good, and on top of it, I was eating burritos and pizza and burgers.

Having narcolepsy played a role, especially before it was diagnosed and was out of control. I turned to highly caffeinated beverages with tons of sugar to combat the fatigue and sleepiness, albiet in futility. It still isn't well controlled, but at least I'm not falling asleep at the wheel, or in the shower, at the grocery store, et al.

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
However I did loose 30 pounds in a couple months with out exercising at all, I just ate fruit when I was hungry, and stuff like fat free hot dogs and stuff...the weight just fell off.
However, after a certain point I had to start excersizing/weight lifting to get in to better shape.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
KISS
For a good complexion and nice siluette here is what I have found.

1. high fiber low carb Short grain brown rice instead of high carb fixins like potatoes
2. No sugars except from 1-2 friuts you eat a day
3. Nothing with chemicals other than citric acid as a preservative
4. eat all the meat, vegetables, complex grains you want, hint white flour is'nt complex.
5. run/walk briskly for at least 30 minutes a day and you'll be a fine ass mofo

Unforuatly this takes food preparation (time) and excersise (time) which we don't have much of these days. Or you can just have good genetics like me:p

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Run/Walk at low speeds for long distances. 1 - 2 hours a day each day for several months, all while controlling your food intake and you'll lose weight. Or bike 2-3 hours a day. Take one day off a week to rest. The weight will come down fast.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
The best plan to go by: just use common sense while eating, and get in the recommended 1 hour of physical activity per day. I mean, I'm pretty sure that deep down we all know cheeseburgers, french fries, potato chips, hot dogs, donuts, and the like are fattening. They pack a ton of calories and saturated fat, and very little real nutritional value. Hell, just taking vitamins could help out a lot. You'd feel more energetic, and more willing to go out and work off that extra "pep."

I personally go to the gym 3-4 times per week (except lately, because I think I'm dying of strep throat and the flu), and that's kept me in shape for the past 3 years. My body fat % has fluctuated somewhat throughout that time as my eating habits change (sometimes you just have to give in to temptation; the key isn't to completely stop eating tempting foods, but to eat them intelligently and in moderation, or to find appropriate substitutes instead), but it has yet to climb above roughly 8%. Just get into a routine--which is going to take some work--and it'll all take care of itself. Nowadays I can't miss more than two days at the gym without going into a sort of fitness withdrawal. Yay, heh.