Constructive, realistic things the next president can do to help the country.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: naddicott
A couple things I think both candidates could do if they have the cohones once in power...

More Government transparency.

Let citizens who care enough to google have more visibility on what is going on in Congress and the White house. Give us the tools to quickly research earmarks and facts about frequency and quality of lobbying on said earmarks, and give our representatives an earful if they're not representing us as we'd like them to.

Legitimate state secrets can remain secret of course, but whether we agree with final decisions or not, it would be very nice for the public to have access to the same information inputs that the White House accessed on non-secret issues (eg. education / health care / tax reform) to come up with their final detailed policies. Give "executive privilege" a more constrained and sane scope.

Merit based appointments.

Please no more "political buddy" FEMA heads who have never managed any sort of emergency organization. Give people who have given a long career of service to their departments over multiple administrations a chance to manage government departments with some modicum of experience and competency.

:thumbsup:

May 16, 2000
Originally posted by: NeoV
no crappy add-ons to bills, period

alternative energy initiatives

I'd put some troops in Africa, help build some real infrastructure, do some real nation building

OLpal

Feb 12, 2008
#1 It's gonna be a tough job to rebalance the budget.. After dubya has ruined it !!
#2 Bring our partys back together in harmony to fight together in this time of terrorism !!
#3 Shutdown [with extreme prejudice] this Mexico-China-Texas to Canada Super Corridor Toll Road that dubya has agreed to , without even confering with senate or congress !! China & Arabs want deep water port access in mexico & easy shipping through this super corridor. right through our heartland to canada... Is to be built by a Spanish Co. who will receive the Tolls.. China will install electronic devices all along this super toll road to monitor traffic & freight.. Most people don't even know dubya is doing this !! google nafta super corridor like; http://www.prisonplanet.com/ar...2006/140606Highway.htm

#4 oil & gas price stabilization & alternative fuel & energy sources ..
#5 no more pork barrel projects tied on to legislation !!
#6 try to regain respect in the world community !!!
#7 penalize companys that take jobs out of country for cheap labor !!
#8 end china dumping & flooding of inferior goods in our markets & enforce the balance of trade !!
#9 ask the 14 million illegal imigrants to please go home on their own accord, or after 90 days face penaltys !!
#10 Have fair & honest investigations of the bush administration & what they should be held accountable for !!
#11 Have Stricken & Override Order 13233 , what a way to hide lies & corruption !!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_13233 Let the Truth be known !!

:D

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Harvey
One of the most constructive things the next President can do is to have his Attorney General prosecute every member of the Bush administration involved in their treason, murder, torture, war crimes and crimes against humanity.

It's constructive because right now, our credibility in the eyes of our own citizens and the world community is in the toilet, and pursuing and prosecuting the lying criminals who deceived us and the world to lead us into this mess is the only way to show the world that we are a nation of laws that can own up to our mistakes and deal with them through an open and fair system of justice.

And what would that do to help average joe citizen?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Originally posted by: NeoV
no crappy add-ons to bills, period

alternative energy initiatives

I'd put some troops in Africa, help build some real infrastructure, do some real nation building

I agree also. And although I dont like alot of McCain's ideas on things, 2 of those 3 he has said he would take care of.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Cut military spending

Cut social spending

Cut government

That'd make me pretty happy. I'm tired of being the worlds police, I'm tired of paying for bums in this country and I'm tired of a nanny government.

Pretty much sums it up, but itll never happen. The govt is too addicted to money and power. And since they get to make the rules, were all screwed.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
Cut military spending

Cut social spending

Cut government

That'd make me pretty happy. I'm tired of being the worlds police, I'm tired of paying for bums in this country and I'm tired of a nanny government.

Pretty much sums it up, but itll never happen. The govt is too addicted to money and power. And since they get to make the rules, were all screwed.

Thanks to the American public who keep electing these fools. We gave them the keys, now its time to lie in the bed WE made. ("WE" is a generality BTW).

Besides...our national budget hasnt decreased from one year to the next since 1932 not sure what makes people think it will change now. The only way our current government will actually balance the budget is not via cuts, but via taxes. Maybe one day enough people will be financially hurt enough to actually wake the fuck up and elect some one who will actually reverse the trend. In the meantime, we as a country may be uncomfortable (well, some of us) but not hurting.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: yllus
Topic Title: Constructive, realistic things the next president can do to help the country.
Topic Summary: My suggestions inside; add your own.

If Republican which most likely will be nothing will change unless Dems get a true majority in both houses of congress which is also highly unlikely.

If Democrat. First and foremost business should be to put Bush and every one of the GOP machine in prison.

It is the only way to restore world confidence in America again.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Jail time for CEO's who work people more than 35 hours a week would end unemployment.

$5000 vouchers for primary education would end education malaise.

Remove cap on SS, treat capital gains as income, and raise tax rate to 1996 levels would balance the budget.

Withdraw our troops from every country and shut down every foreign base (about 150) would make the world long for America again.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: XZeroII

I only have to disagree with your Universal Healthcare system. You are not solving the problem. You are treating the symptoms but leaving the disease alone and it will only get worse. Universal Healthcare has most certainly not been proven in country after country. The problem is still there, you're just masking it. The problem is that it costs too much for medical treatment. Your solution is to pass the buck along to the government, who gets it's money from you and me. You're just masking where the money comes from. I am saying that we need to find a way to lower the cost of medical treatment to begin with. If it didn't cost me $100 to just see my doctor, then I wouldn't need heafty insurance to see him. So rather than providing massive insurance that costs tons of money, let's just lower these costs to begin with. Of course there is a fine line between lowering costs and stifling innovation so we need to be careful, but I think that it can be done.

This is a good program. Even disregarding the UHCs in the video, its interesting to see how costs were cut drastically.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/...ne/sickaroundtheworld/

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
Cut military spending

Cut social spending

Cut government

You're afraid of the wrong people. Try the people who really run things, who are not in the government, but often tell the government what to do.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: thirtythree
Which goes to show how the liberals cant even begin to think that maybe, JUST MAYBE, theres abuse of the system. No no, everyone on those programs needs it!

Ridiculous.

Out of curiosity, have any liberals ever said that?

EDIT: That there's absolutely no abuse of the system, I mean.

Essentially yes.

They want to keep throwing money at the problem. More more more, spend spend spend. Never ever have I heard one of those damned dirty traitorous thieving Democrats say "We need to cut spending on social programs". Hell, they've never even wanted to halt spending at current levels.

Its ALL about supporting the bums, and robbing the rich to do it. The sad thing is, they can give no real reason to do this other then "It feels good".

No, no it doesnt. Maybe it feels good for you. Fine, YOU give your money. But dont STEAL it from me.

There are many ways to frame the argument you just made. Unfortunately, you just did it in the stupidest and most ignorant way possible.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The one positive change I have long argued to make in government is a constitutional amendment requiring a sunset clause on ALL legislation. Government has a way of refusing to repeal bad laws (or even just legal ideas that didn't work out). Maybe it's bureaucratic momentum, maybe it's just people refusing to admit they were wrong and lose face. With a sunset clause on all legislation, that would no longer be necessary. Bad laws can just go away. While good laws get reviewed and re-passed every few years. And the best part is that it would keep the legislators busy, and we all know what a devil's workshop their idle hands can be.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Vic
The one positive change I have long argued to make in government is a constitutional amendment requiring a sunset clause on ALL legislation. Government has a way of refusing to repeal bad laws (or even just legal ideas that didn't work out). Maybe it's bureaucratic momentum, maybe it's just people refusing to admit they were wrong and lose face. With a sunset clause on all legislation, that would no longer be necessary. Bad laws can just go away. While good laws get reviewed and re-passed every few years. And the best part is that it would keep the legislators busy, and we all know what a devil's workshop their idle hands can be.

Great idea Vic. I have always supported this. We wouldn't have 1937 laws against marijuana and wouldn't still be paying for rural electricification.

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
Cut military spending

Cut social spending

Cut government

QFT. Smaller government FTW.

I would also like to see the Fair Tax implemented as well.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: misle
Cut military spending

Cut social spending

Cut government

That's one of the worst-named proposals I've ever seen - a terrible policy and far from 'fair' unless you think the wealthy should pay far less of their income than others.

SigArms08

Apr 16, 2008
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: misle
Cut military spending

Cut social spending

Cut government

That's one of the worst-named proposals I've ever seen - a terrible policy and far from 'fair' unless you think the wealthy should pay far less of their income than others.

At face value, the Fair Tax proposal seems reasonable, but I've yet to review it in any depth. How would the wealthy pay less than what they do now? Don't they typically make the larger purchases?

Back to the topic - the US needs to do a better job of keeping work in this country, as opposed to simply allowing the corporate greed machine outsourcing/offshoring everything so that they can make even more money (rich get richer, working stiffs who helped build these companies get screwed....the work force is also a stackholder).

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic

Great idea but they'd just rubber stamp huge bundles of old laws like they do now with 600+ page bills they don't read. Amendment wise - I'd like to see constitutional amendment to balance budget would unbundle legislation and force tough choices.

OLpal

Feb 12, 2008
DON'T KNOW IF YOU'VE HEARD ABOUT THIS GRASS ROOTS MOVEMENT OR NOT !!
"LETS START OVER"
RIGHT OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD, I'LL NOMINATE KATIE COURIC !!!

You're in the news...?
www.News3Online.com

Needs to Balance Budget after dubyas had it skyrocket

Needs to enforce equal balance of trade !!

Stop this idiotic mexico to canada toll supercorridor hiways system throughout our heartland built for china by Spanish who get the tolls !! that dubya signed secretly the NAFTA HIGHWAY...

Lead this country back to respect in the eyes of us & the rest of the world !

Walk & Speak softly but carry a Great Bif F_______ stick !!

Remove all warriors from iraq as soon as Iraq can function on it's own !!

Get control over this energy situation, nuclear, water, solar & wind driven power plants.. alternative fuels.. If safe for ecology allow 4-6 off-shore drilling platforms with understanding that all oil & gas be used only in the United State @ a fair profit [oil co.] which should result in $1.40 to $1.69 per gallon for gas !!

Put an end to lobbyists paying off politicians [prosecute both] & pork bbl bills being tied to important legislation !!

Pick a V.P. with honor & dignity Collen Powell, Gen. Swartzkoph, etc...

Address Global warming, don't overreact but try to help at least !!

Don't act like a dumb jackass during speeches & press briefings like we have now !!

If nominiated, I will not accept.
If elected, i will not serve. (wait a minute, can I flip flop on that idea like the rest of the politicians do??)

www.News3Online.com