Constitutional Court of Turkey upholds a law banning headscarves in universities

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Amazing. And I thought once the religious zealots got their hooks into a gov't it would be next to impossible to extract them without major upheaval. It looks like the only thing you can be sure of is that you can never be sure of anything.

Next up, iran.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Jesus, what bad law. Secular becomes fascism. American Universities need to ban women from wearing a cross.

We bring about our worst nightmares via our repression of what we fear. Kiss Turkey good bye.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
This is beyond stupid. If people want to wear fucking headscarves, LET THEM. If Turkey was a real democracy, there wouldn't be a need for these dumb laws.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Pretty pathetic. I bet JS80 and Jaskalas got stiffies reading this, though.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: jman19

wow hope and change in the middle east. hope hope hope change change change maybe barack hussein obama can run for office in Turkey. he can claim he was never a practicing Christian and was raised as a Muslim child.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Again, when Iran banned headscarves under the Shah (copying turkey), women protested by wearing them. When the ayatollahs made the headscarves mandatory, women protested by not wearing them.

On the other hand, between a secular tyranny and a religious tyranny, i'll go with the seculars :)

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: JS80

wow hope and change in the middle east. hope hope hope change change change maybe barack hussein obama can run for office in Turkey. he can claim he was never a practicing Christian and was raised as a Muslim child.

The proof is in the pudding.

BTW, I'm not an Obama fluffer, so you can go ahead and try to find something else to attack me on.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
Again, when Iran banned headscarves under the Shah (copying turkey), women protested by wearing them. When the ayatollahs made the headscarves mandatory, women protested by not wearing them.

On the other hand, between a secular tyranny and a religious tyranny, i'll go with the seculars :)

Well, people don't want to be told what to do, whether it's a secular or religious government.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: JS80

The proof is in the pudding.

BTW, I'm not an Obama fluffer, so you can go ahead and try to find something else to attack me on.

why would you think i would agree with this stupid ruling?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
As much as I despise what I feel the headscarf in most cases represents, I couldn't support this law. Your head, do what you want.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: Stoneburner

Well, people don't want to be told what to do, whether it's a secular or religious government.

Me to. It's always better to be governed and executed by people who make up their own rules any way they want than deal with people with moral texts and scriptures they twist to justify killing you. Give me a delusional psychopath over a religious nut case any day.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
To echo what others think - dear God this is stupid. Beyond stupid....borderline idiocracy. This isn't upholding secular principles, this is trying to control people's lives as well as trying to keep anyone who is religious economically depressed by denying them access to upper education.

Turkish I know you have no love for the government, but I have no idea how can you support the government trying to dictate what a woman chooses to wear. That is absolutely authoritarian and much like Iran trying to force women to wear their scarves.

Dec 10, 2005
This is beyond stupid. If people want to wear fucking headscarves, LET THEM. If Turkey was a real democracy, there wouldn't be a need for these dumb laws.

Democracy != liberalism

If the people as a majority wanted to ban the wearing of headscarves at Universities, then that's democracy in action. The people as a whole could vote for a dictator and that would also be democratic.

On a side note, I should really stop reading Schmitt.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Good for Turkey for not becoming like another Iran.
I envy you.

Although I must say if this happened in the U.S I would get very upset.

Just wanted to add (Edit):
with 60% of your women wearing a headscarf don't you think this could serve as a problem? I mean your economy is growing fast. It's growing faster than the oil rich Arabs and even Israel and you all aren't even oil rich. Turkey has a lot of positives, but this could turn out to be a disaster. Just hope your military is all united for a secular Turkey.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Aimster
Good for Turkey for not becoming like another Iran.
I envy you.

Although I must say if this happened in the U.S I would get very upset.

Just wanted to add (Edit):
with 60% of your women wearing a headscarf don't you think this could serve as a problem? I mean your economy is growing fast. It's growing faster than the oil rich Arabs and even Israel and you all aren't even oil rich. Turkey has a lot of positives, but this could turn out to be a disaster. Just hope your military is all united for a secular Turkey.

wrong. The secular elite of turkey have been going against the will of the people for years now. Last year, they threatened a coup because someone from the AK party was set to become president. That forced an election, in which the AK party increased their numbers in parliament. Now this same elite has taken the AK party to court, trying to get it banned. It is the secularists that are undemocratic. The people of are having the rug pulled from under them for high-minded idiots who think they know what's best for them.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Brainonska511

Democracy != liberalism

If the people as a majority wanted to ban the wearing of headscarves at Universities, then that's democracy in action. The people as a whole could vote for a dictator and that would also be democratic.

On a side note, I should really stop reading Schmitt.

Actually IIRC the majority (not sure if it was 50+%, but a very strong plurality close to that) did indeed vote for the ruling part AKP. The AKP made it an important issue to remove this ban to give women the freedom to choose their headscarf. This was not a stealth agenda, or a quiet push to allow this rule. It was very clearly stated. The interesting part is that ,IIRC, it isn't a complete on the ban to remove a headscarf...but officially it is a slight relaxation of current rules.

Aimster Turkey is acting EXACTLY like Iran but in the opposite direction. Two sides of the same coin. You are making little to no sense here.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
w00t.......... NEXT: Disband the AKP.

And LOL @ at the clueless minds calling this stupid. What's stupid is when a government doesn't allow any non-headscarved women in to any government jobs and shamelessly advice women to send a resume with a headscarved photo on it.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Turkish
w00t.......... NEXT: Disband the AKP.

And LOL @ at the clueless minds calling this stupid. What's stupid is when a government doesn't allow any non-headscarved women in to any government jobs and shamelessly advice women to send a resume with a headscarved photo on it.
Thank god. There would be a malfunction in the universe if someone saw a woman's head.

Yet another example of religion serving mankind...

MS13

Apr 15, 2006
Women's head are disgusting! Western women are so slutty, showing their head to seduce men into sins and adultry, make men weak. Chop those slutty women's head off or else!!