Constitutional amendment to ban abortion?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

villageidiot111

Platinum Member
Jul 19, 2004
I don't understand how anyone can justify abolishing abortion while at the same time supporting the death penalty.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Originally posted by: villageidiot111
I don't understand how anyone can justify abolishing abortion while at the same time supporting the death penalty.

I support neither.

Man is too flawed to determine who should and who shouldn't die.

Even if it means 1/10,000 convicts being innocence (example), it's still very very very wrong.

I think the death penalty shouldn't be so much of an issue, as say, prisoner population. What constitutes prison time has been poisoned and distorted. Drug and non-violent convicts make up the overwhelming majority, which needs to be attended to.

That 30k annual per/convict (minimum security btw) could be used for rehabilitation instead of worthless housing.

It's bulls**t!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: villageidiot111

Cause babies in the womb are obviously killing people. Obviously equal to serial rapists/mass murderers.

randym431

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2003
Old Huck will be going after the Jews next. They're non christians. Remind ya of anybody in history???
He's a nightmare, with a pleasant smile. Evil has a pleasant smile.

May 16, 2000
Huckabee isn't running for president, he thinks he's running for the evangelical fundamentalist version of the Pope. He's a religious lunatic and probably about the biggest threat to America currently running for office.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
Originally posted by: jman19
Yes, but look at the way he phrased it - what if you are polytheistic? He clearly is referring to the god of Abraham.
:thumbsdown: to Huck
You're being too kind to Huck. "The god of Abraham" is also the god of Islam and Judaism.

"I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God...And that's what we need to do, is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards, rather than try to change God's standards."

Huckabee is clearly clearly calling for a Christian fundamentalist rewrite of our Constitution. What do you call an American, Christian Taliban?
The Huckabee administration!

Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: Kadarin
The last thing we need right now is a religious fanatic as president.
... following the one we've already suffered for seven years.

Not so, Harvey. The Bush administration panders to the fundies during the election campaign, then ignores them once in office. Bush is no religious fanatic. He is a very cynical exploiter of the religious Right. He takes their votes but gives no ROI.

You're right, he's even loonier than I thought :p

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
i hope he just shot himself in the foot. making a statement like that is a clear violation of the separation of church and state. Obama is no better, have any of you seen what the church in chicago is all about?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

M: It is when the child is wanted. Murder a pregnant woman and you'll likely be charged with double homicide. It is when the woman's right to the sovereignty of her own body as opposed to being parasitized that the collection of human cells loses it's status. A whole person trumps the right of a collection of cells not unlike a tumor. You are emotion and can't properly think. It's a secular problem that needs a secular solution. Again, you can't escape the religious notion that a dependent fetus has the same rights as an independent human. The application of your absolutism creates a logical and practical outcome that is tantamount to slavery for the woman who in her own mind may have completely different feeling about her fetus than you do. She has to live with the consequences so she decides.

I'm going to stop doing a mass response and focus on one question, so as not to confuse myself.

"It is when the child is wanted." That is to say that only wanted children are granted the rights of humanity. What then is wrong with killing an unwanted 2 month old infant?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Atreus21

I'm going to stop doing a mass response and focus on one question, so as not to confuse myself.

"It is when the child is wanted." That is to say that only wanted children are granted the rights of humanity. What then is wrong with killing an unwanted 2 month old infant?

Because unlike you apparently, most people on both sides of the debate are able to recognize and understand the difference between a crying baby and an undifferentiated clot of cells.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: sirjonk

Because unlike you apparently, most people on both sides of the debate are able to recognize and understand the difference between a crying baby and an undifferentiated clot of cells.

Well, then enlighten me. What do you call the difference between them? Can you define in simple terms what defines a human?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Well, then enlighten me. What do you call the difference between them? Can you define in simple terms what defines a human?

When an egg becomes a chicken.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Man, this argument has NEVER been had before. I suggest we fill up several pages with legalistic arguments on one side and moralistic/unrealistic arguments on the other. Wheeeee!

Why can't people just accept that abortion is legal because the majority of people WANT it to be legal. Even if it was illegal roughly the same number of people would have abortions, they would just be much less safe. The Atlantic had an interesting article on how things used to go down in America before abortion was legalized, it was a terror.