Constant Data corruption on hard disks

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by siberus, Nov 9, 2012.

1. siberus

siberus Member

I have a semi-old Asus g50v laptop that I bought when I started college. A few months ago I started noticing that my windows files were slowly becoming corrupt. At first I tried to run checkdisk but this was a no go since chkdisk or autochk had become corrupt and wouldn't load at the start of windows even using msconfig to boot with a minimal boot. So then I tried running sfc /scannow and it would keep saying that it couldn't fix all the files. Eventually when I stopped being lazy I formatted the drive and reinstalled windows but corruption began again shortly after. so at this point I felt like I had enough hard evidence to replace the drive. I ended up replacing it with a seagate momentus. So then windows 8 comes out I upgrade to windows 8 and now windows keeps telling me in the action center to restart to fix corruption. Like before autocheck never kicks in at the start of windows. So at this point I'm scratching my head as to what the actual cause of this problem is? Could this be psu related?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#1 siberus, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  2. Steltek

Steltek Golden Member

First of all, eliminate the obvious. Download the SeaTools for DOS ISO, burn it to a bootable CD (on another computer, if you have access to one), and test the hard drive for faults. Though it isn't likely, you could have just had the rotten luck to end up with a bad replacement hard drive. I'd also carefully examine the SATA interface where the hard drive is plugged in to ensure that the hard drive is plugged in all the way and also to make sure that the connector isn't cracked or broken.

http://www.seagate.com/support/inte...r-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master

If you still have it, it wouldn't be a bad idea to plug the old hard drive into another system and test it with the manufacturer's diagnostic software. If there isn't anything wrong with it either, I'd say you are looking at a definite hardware fault in the laptop.

#2 Steltek, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  3. siberus

siberus Member

Yup still have it lying around I'll test them both on my PC later this afternoon hopefully.

4. Fardringle

Fardringle Diamond Member

Have you tried replacing the hard drive cables? Bad cables can cause corruption as well.

5. siberus

siberus Member

Finally had time to run these through sea tools and both the old and new hard drive passed...

6. Ketchup

Ketchup Lifer

My next thought would be RAM. How many sticks are in the laptop?

7. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

My first thought would be the RAM too.

8. Matt1970

Matt1970 Lifer

Yep, bad ram can absolutely cause data to become corrupted. I have seen motherboards eat drives over time (a customer of mine went through a good 6 drives in 2 years) but it is rare.

9. denis280

denis280 Diamond Member

Yes i second this.it did append to one of my customer.

10. siberus

siberus Member

2 sticks 2gigs each guess I'll be firing up memtest tonight

11. Ketchup

Ketchup Lifer

Good plan. If memtest finds nothing, I would run the laptop one stick at a time.

12. siberus

siberus Member

3 errors already and only 4 percent through the test

13. denis280

denis280 Diamond Member

Looks like you just put your finger on the problem.