constant corrupt files and some random crashes. Old SSD

flyingsod1

Feb 7, 2017
There are two games I play BDO and Planetside2. Both of these games over the last month have had corrupt files about every time I try to play them and I have to force them to check files from the game server. It patches and everything is fine for a few hours or even a whole day. the last few weeks IE explorer has been crashing a lot. Like about every10 mins sometimes. It fixes itself everytime though.I have not had an exorbitant amount of crashes but certainly more than I used to have. Maybe two a week while in use. However every time I leave the thing on overnight it has either rebooted by morning or is off. From reading here in the forums I learned about whocrashed. It reports only 5 crash dumps since 1-30-17.

This rig was built in 2011 ( for Skyrim as is my custom) with an Intell 80G 320 series SSD for the OS. Over the years ive added two more SSD's over the years and a HHD last December. In November I also switched to a Zotac1050 graphics card since I had been chugging along with a 560TI ( which was a nice card in 2011). Everything seemed fine and I played and used my computer as normal till a month ago. The OS SSD was getting too full but I cleaned it up and there 15gigs free again. Which is about where its always been.

Is it obvious what my problem is? Ive got a gigabyte z68 MB so that should take care of SSD maintenance. is it possible that 5 years is just too old for an SSD? Any advice or thoughts are appreciated. BTw does anyone know why my old anandtech site account doesn't work with these forums? I can still log into the site but I had to create a new account for these forums. thanks for your time.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
How old is your PSU? SSDs are sensitive to voltage fluctuations. A failing PSU could conceivably help to corrupt an SSD.

Reactions: flyingsod1

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
There are two games I play BDO and Planetside2. Both of these games over the last month have had corrupt files about every time I try to play them and I have to force them to check files from the game server. It patches and everything is fine for a few hours or even a whole day. the last few weeks IE explorer has been crashing a lot. Like about every10 mins sometimes. It fixes itself everytime though.I have not had an exorbitant amount of crashes but certainly more than I used to have. Maybe two a week while in use. However every time I leave the thing on overnight it has either rebooted by morning or is off. From reading here in the forums I learned about whocrashed. It reports only 5 crash dumps since 1-30-17.

This rig was built in 2011 ( for Skyrim as is my custom) with an Intell 80G 320 series SSD for the OS. Over the years ive added two more SSD's over the years and a HHD last December. In November I also switched to a Zotac1050 graphics card since I had been chugging along with a 560TI ( which was a nice card in 2011). Everything seemed fine and I played and used my computer as normal till a month ago. The OS SSD was getting too full but I cleaned it up and there 15gigs free again. Which is about where its always been.

Is it obvious what my problem is? Ive got a gigabyte z68 MB so that should take care of SSD maintenance. is it possible that 5 years is just too old for an SSD? Any advice or thoughts are appreciated. BTw does anyone know why my old anandtech site account doesn't work with these forums? I can still log into the site but I had to create a new account for these forums. thanks for your time.

Strictly speaking, no, 5 years isn't too old for a SSD.. I say that with the caveat of 'a SSD of certain quality/production timeframe'. A lot of the early SSDs were incredibly janky (either firmware, hardware, or some combination of). Generally corruption = something failing with your media, but it could be an OS-level thing as well. Have you considered just doing a flat format/reinstall? PITA but it'd narrow down if it's the drive or not.

Luckily drives are super cheap now compared to when you got that, you can get a samsung 850 evo (well regarded) 250GB for under $100, 500GB for $160.

Reactions: flyingsod1

flyingsod1

Feb 7, 2017
Last night I ran SFC as suggested and it found some corrupt files it could not repair. I got into the CBS file and saw that every file with an error pertained to an AMD 64 cpu. My system has an Intel I5 so im not sure if those even matter. My game ran fine for an hour or so then a corrupt file message popped up.

The crystalmark program reported all drives as healthy. Since 5 years isn't automatically too old I'll pretend the drives are fine for now.

PS is 5 years old like everything. I never buy top tier latest and greatest because I cant stand the price to performance ratio but I didn't cheap out on anything either. Although I saw some hate for Antec in another thread and this is an Antec High Current Gamer 750 Power supply. My girl has a Corsair cx750m that I could not get the MB power connector to latch on her system. Its unused so I will try that over the weekend maybe.

The OS reinstall is something im saving for last. Although 5 years without even doing a repair function (till last night) does seem like more than should be expected from a windows install.
Ill dload some memcheck programs tonight. I guess I should go ahead and get whole system stress testers while im at it. After that Ill try to decide what I dread more, tearing into the PS guts or starting over with the OS.

Thanks for your help guys, you thoughts are very much appreciated.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
well if you have another PSU and you can reproduce the problem by leaving your PC on at night it's a no brainer to try that route.

Still, before any hardware and especially psu cable hassle, since you have multiple SSDs including newer and supposedly faster ones, I would try removing the possibly dying SSD and starting over in one of the newer ones, and see if it all works okay.

flyingsod1

Feb 7, 2017
I got a hold of memcheck86 and ran it. Got nearly a thousand errors before I decided to halt the test and pull all the modules save one. As it looks now there was one bad ram stick. It was a Corsair vengeance LP 16 gig set. Yawl think its ok to just get another 4 gig corsair vengeance stick and throw it in there? This was a matched set and I don't remember how crucial the matching was.

I dint mention it before because it seemed unrelated but sometime last year my screen started getting anomalies in the form of thin rainbow lines and pink bands, theyd last a few secs and go away. I chalked it up to the monitor getting flakey with age. In my readings though I found that memory problems can cause video issues that often get blamed on vid cards. We'll see.

So just to add to your guys personal knowledge base, symptoms of this bad memory stick seemed to include:

Random corrupted files on a hard drive. (SSD and HDD)

BSOD's

Random Full shutdowns and restarts

Internet Explorer crashes that self recovered.

screen anomalies.

I will update in a week to see if all or some of these issues have been resolved. I will do so again in a month. Thank you all so much for your help. I learned a lot.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It's always best to run matching sticks of RAM.

However, that bad module should have a lifetime warranty on it, so contact Corsair's RMA department.

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
Last night I ran SFC as suggested and it found some corrupt files it could not repair. I got into the CBS file and saw that every file with an error pertained to an AMD 64 cpu. My system has an Intel I5 so im not sure if those even matter. My game ran fine for an hour or so then a corrupt file message popped up.
did you use the ssd on another pc with amd,
the best to do is format, and make sure you get all up to date drivers, and also check for bios update.

flyingsod1

Feb 7, 2017
I never used the SSD with a non intel product. Its first couple months was with a Celeron because the I5 was out of stock though. Bios Update is a good thought though, ill check into that for sure, thanks denis280.

Ill be stopping by Frys where I bought the ram to see if they will handle Corsairs warranty. Ill let yawl know how that turns out in my one month update. Thanks for the heads up on that warranty UsandThem, I didn't realize it was lifetime. I dig the name and avatar btw.

So the update: My machine is rock solid again after removing the bad ram. I also took its partner out to keep the dual channel alive. Zero BSODs, Zero random restarts, Zero corrupt files, and zero screen anomalies since I removed it one week ago. My BDO game has ran for 36 hours straight and gone through a few patches and many restarts and is perfectly healthy. This is my first bad ram since starting the pc tinkering back in the early 90's. I never knew it could cause such seemingly random and disparate symptoms. thanks for all the help everyone.

Reactions: UsandThem