Conspiracy videos are the best

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
A couple days ago I didn't know what to watch, so I searched youtube for "conspiracy" and found this little gem:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE

College Conspiracy is about college being a rip off. I wanted to hear this argument, and most of it is pretty good, but sprinkled throughout the video are absolutely hilarious quotes. One said something about a pharmacist trying to get out of retirement and earn more money to buy gold and silver in preparation for hyperinflation. Then the last 10 minutes of the video is a bunch of ranting about how the dollar is going to collapse and how you need to buy gold and silver. wtf? Why does every single conspiracy video need to talk about gold and silver?

If the dollar is going belly up, I'm going to buy stock. Yes hard currency like gold is reliable, but stocks are hard currency as well. When you buy IBM or Imperial Oil, you literally own a portion of their buildings, their equipment, their land, and their income stream.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
A couple days ago I didn't know what to watch, so I searched youtube for "conspiracy" and found this little gem:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpZtX32sKVE

College Conspiracy is about college being a rip off. I wanted to hear this argument, and most of it is pretty good, but sprinkled throughout the video are absolutely hilarious quotes. One said something about a pharmacist trying to get out of retirement and earn more money to buy gold and silver in preparation for hyperinflation. Then the last 10 minutes of the video is a bunch of ranting about how the dollar is going to collapse and how you need to buy gold and silver. wtf? Why does every single conspiracy video need to talk about gold and silver?

If the dollar is going belly up, I'm going to buy stock. Yes hard currency like gold is reliable, but stocks are hard currency as well. When you buy IBM or Imperial Oil, you literally own a portion of their buildings, their equipment, their land, and their income stream.

lolwut? If you are thinking of some kind of apocolyptic scenario where the US Gov't goes broke and the monetary system collapses, then barter for usable goods or hard assets of easy international value (gold/platinum/silver) will be best of the best. Not that I buy into the idea of the US collapsing in the next few years, maybe in 15-30 years though.

Stock in corps is gonna be like toilet paper if it got that bad though.

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Yeah gold is going to be the best of the best because when the SHTF and farmers aren't producing crops, people are killing each other for scraps and the zombie corpses rise your gold will be able to solve all of these problems.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Yeah gold is going to be the best of the best because when the SHTF and farmers aren't producing crops, people are killing each other for scraps and the zombie corpses rise your gold will be able to solve all of these problems.

Silver is a much better investments because of the vampires, per se.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

Well, kinda depends on how bad it gets. If the US totally tanks and turns apocalyptic, it would make sense that most of the world would be in fairly poor shape as well, but gold would still have some value in terms of being able to transport a large value amount in a small space. The ultimate assets of immediate value would be fuel, food, fresh water, tools, guns, ammunition, diesel vehicles, tires, clothing, stuff like that.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Stock in corps is gonna be like toilet paper if it got that bad though.
That didn't happen in Germany.

Take the example of Krupp. Krupp was a very large company in Germany that existed before world war 1. They were big in steel and guns. They made the famous Big Bertha howitzer as well as the Paris Gun. Even after hyperinflation, they still existed. They still exist to this day; they never went bankrupt. Krupp eventually merged with Thyssen to form a company called ThyssenKrupp AG.

IBM will still exist in post apocalyptic America, and you'll see Microsoft even after you're dead because Windows 95 is the official operating system in Hell.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I'm not sure that's a great example of success. A ton of Germany's assets were seized (including huge chunks of corporations) after WW1, so they were held and operated largely by international entities. A good example is Merck, it was a titan that was confiscated in entirety for all intents and purposes :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merck_%26_Co

It's kind of a sliding scale, if there is any functional national government left, then stocks and gold will still have some value that can recover. If there is no functional government and things fall to complete anarchy, then gold is better than stocks, as corporations would be unable to function. Better still would be food/water/guns/ammo/fuel/vehicles.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
It's kind of a sliding scale, if there is any functional national government left
We're talking about the US, a country where politicians are deathly afraid of turning over a balanced budget. I guess that answers that question.
Fuck gold. I'm going to buy bullets and swords.

also, corporations are not limited to one country. Now that everything is offshored to China, there's really nothing the US could take away from them the way Germany did to Merck :awe:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
We're talking about the US, a country where politicians are deathly afraid of turning over a balanced budget. I guess that answers that question.
Fuck gold. I'm going to buy bullets and swords.
also, corporations are not limited to one country. Now that everything is offshored to China, there's really nothing the US could take away from them the way Germany did to Merck :awe:

Hahaha, can't fault that. If I honestly felt that things were about to totally hit the fan, that's the kind of stuff that would be valuable :)

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Well, kinda depends on how bad it gets. If the US totally tanks and turns apocalyptic, it would make sense that most of the world would be in fairly poor shape as well, but gold would still have some value in terms of being able to transport a large value amount in a small space. The ultimate assets of immediate value would be fuel, food, fresh water, tools, guns, ammunition, diesel vehicles, tires, clothing, stuff like that.

I gotcha. I guess from my point of view I think gold/silver etc. are the biggest wastes of time ever. The value of everything is based on perception. Perception is based on information that is just as uninformed as it is informed. You've got hype, scarcity and countless people trying to do what benefits them the most all swirling around in chaos.

The honest truth is the US will never become straight up apocalyptic. The reason for this is two fold.
1)We as Americans are just too determined and prideful to be completely swallowed up in an apocalypse. We look down on any country that can't get their crap together for at least a mediocre society. We view them as lazy and stupid. Americans may be lazy and stupid too, but not in the same kind of way. Maybe it's because we've never had a war fought on our soil that ravaged us completely, but I personally don't even think a nuclear holocaust combined with a financial meltdown on US soil would prevent Americans from creating their own city-state economies/financial systems to lead a lifestyle similar to any other first world country. We know what it takes to create a successful civilization. We've seen it and we've lived it. It's in our blood. I also think we're too nice and generous to allow it to happen. Americans donate like crazy.

2) The real reason - there's no money in causing a complete US apocalypse. Those invisible hands like making money and Americans know how and like to make money as well. Americans are the perfect demographic to keep the people behind the curtain rich.

I just don't think there's any keeping the Americans down. Sure the USA may collapse completely and all the states may form their own countries or whatever, but the fact remains that the people who live on that soil have what it takes to not devolve into a third world impoverished mess.

/end my semi-trolling but somewhat serious post.

Nov 29, 2006
Guns & Ammo > Gold/silver etc. I can kill you and take it from you if i desire. You going to throw a brick at me? LOL

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
What if someone that has ammo kills you? What then?

What if you're killed? lol that means you're dead and become worm food (or people food, depending on how bad things are I guess). Is this seriously a question? Reminds me of all the 'what if' questions that you'd get in elementary school. What if ALL the red lights in the world turned green at the same time? What if pop tarts came in peanut butter? What if cats had four heads? WHAT THEN? :D

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
good experience, great!

good education, great!

Good combination of both, even better!

= Employers brain

it's your own damn fault if you want a bank busting college education, you can still find reasonably priced, decent schools

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Wouldn't hamburgers in a can be more valuable than gold or silver in a post-apocolyptic society?

Last edited:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
good experience, great!

good education, great!

Good combination of both, even better!

= Employers brain

to add to that incredibly relevant post, I would say this :

Thomas Edison had grey balls, and it's a good thing gravity on the moon is low enough to consider the philosophy of Aristotle in wine sauce.

TechHead87

Sep 18, 2004
Honest question:

Do you believe America is going to collapse? If so, do you think it's planned?

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
Even if there won't be economic collapse, a double digit real inflation for a few years will devastate most Americans. The number of poor would multiply several times, middle class would be almost extinct, and the world would buy much less US bonds/promises/etc. Also, unemployment would grow even further and people will have more time to troll forums and create conspiracy videos. :)

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Honest question:

Do you believe America is going to collapse?

Yes, but it is going to take a long time.

If so, do you think it's planned?

Yes, but I don't think it is a conspiracy. America has effectively become a corpocracy. Corporations use things up, and once they are used up they move on. They are currently using us up, with no effort at conservation, all the while using us to build up the new resource they are going to exploit, namely China and India. America is undergoing planned obsolescence. It is not conspiracy, it is just the way corporations work.