Consolidation of Power in Saudi Arabia

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
More shenanigans in Saudi Arabia. With American-supported atrocities in Yemen, are they making a mockery of our longtime financial support from our need for their oil? Presidents often kiss the ring, but doesn't that supply explicit support for these policies?

"In Saudi Arabia, authorities arrested scores of prominent officials over the weekend, including 10 princes, four ministers and dozens of former ministers, in a massive shakeup by King Salman aimed at consolidating power for his son, Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman.

Among those arrested was Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, one of the world’s richest people, with an estimated net worth of at least $17 billion. Talal has investments in many well-known U.S. companies, like Apple, Twitter, Citigroup—and Rupert Murdoch’s media empire, News Corp.

Separately, a senior Saudi prince died Sunday when his helicopter crashed near the border with Yemen, fueling speculation he’d been assassinated. The arrests, on unspecified “corruption” charges, came just hours after the crown prince convened a new anti-corruption committee with wide-ranging powers to detain and arrest anyone accused, and to search their homes and seize their assets.

The arrests came as the White House said President Trump called King Salman to offer thanks for the kingdom’s purchases of billions of dollars in U.S. weaponry, while praising what it called the kingdom’s “modernization drive.” The White House made no mention of the arrests. President Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner, was in Saudi Arabia last week."

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/1...ls_arrested_as_royal_family_consolidates_rule

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Seems obvious to me. Rinse repeat. Castro did this, Kim Jong Un has done this, Stalin did it. Trump wishes he could but is impotent in that regard. Be thankful that in our country people go to prison for a set term. In true authoritarian regimes they just disappear and die.

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
More shenanigans in Saudi Arabia. With American-supported atrocities in Yemen, are they making a mockery of our longtime financial support from our need for their oil? Presidents often kiss the ring, but doesn't that supply explicit support for these policies?

"In Saudi Arabia, authorities arrested scores of prominent officials over the weekend, including 10 princes, four ministers and dozens of former ministers, in a massive shakeup by King Salman aimed at consolidating power for his son, Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman.

Among those arrested was Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, one of the world’s richest people, with an estimated net worth of at least $17 billion. Talal has investments in many well-known U.S. companies, like Apple, Twitter, Citigroup—and Rupert Murdoch’s media empire, News Corp.

Separately, a senior Saudi prince died Sunday when his helicopter crashed near the border with Yemen, fueling speculation he’d been assassinated. The arrests, on unspecified “corruption” charges, came just hours after the crown prince convened a new anti-corruption committee with wide-ranging powers to detain and arrest anyone accused, and to search their homes and seize their assets.

The arrests came as the White House said President Trump called King Salman to offer thanks for the kingdom’s purchases of billions of dollars in U.S. weaponry, while praising what it called the kingdom’s “modernization drive.” The White House made no mention of the arrests. President Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner, was in Saudi Arabia last week."

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/1...ls_arrested_as_royal_family_consolidates_rule

No one could have seen that coming... Of course the agression against Quatar and Yemen to stop their support of Iran and their threat against Iran today is also something that no one could ever have seen coming, I noted it three months ago but no one could have seen it coming...

Now, three months from now no one would have seen the war with Iran coming.

J.Wilkins

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
Seems obvious to me. Rinse repeat. Castro did this, Kim Jong Un has done this, Stalin did it. Trump wishes he could but is impotent in that regard. Be thankful that in our country people go to prison. In true authoritarian regimes they just die.

It's not that simple, this has been going on for a while now and this is just the latest development in a US supported action that eventually leads to Yemen and Quatar being puppets and a war against Iran.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
It's not that simple, this has been going on for a while now and this is just the latest development in a US supported action that eventually leads to Yemen and Quatar being puppets and a war against Iran.

Head hung low, have not been paying nearly enough attention to foreign policy as I have with domestic issues. In previous presidencies I have never been worried about America as much as I was about the world. Trump is different as he puts America in as much danger as he does other countries. Not used to feeling like we're not invincible and it makes us Americans even more self-centered if that is possible. MAGA and all that crap.

Bone for the trumpets: Even if it had failed and Trump was not elected, I'd still be upset that Russia has seemingly robbed our house. I'm an American first.