Console Releases for week of 7/5 - Where'd the games go edition

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Yikes. Talk about a dead week. If it weren't for The Bigs 2 there would be no new games at retail since Battlefield 1943 is a downloadable game. Even more shockingly, there isn't a single new release for the DS.

Links go to Metacritic

PS2
[*]The Bigs 2

PS3
[*]Battlefield 1943
[*]The Bigs 2

Xbox 360
[*]Battlefield 1943
[*]The Bigs 2

Wii
[*]Birthday Party Bash
[*]The Bigs 2

Nintendo DS
[*]Holy Crap No Releases!

PSP
[*]The Bigs 2

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
On the bright side, at least this keeps my backlog from growing any more this week :)

I even have a few $10 xbox games in the pile now (Crackdown, Earth Defense Force, Operation Darkness) but I'll probably wait for the (rumored) $299 Elite since I have so many other unplayed games to keep me busy.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
I even have a few $10 xbox games in the pile now (Crackdown, Earth Defense Force, Operation Darkness) but I'll probably wait for the (rumored) $299 Elite since I have so many other unplayed games to keep me busy.

LMAO - You are eternally waiting for <insert rumored 360 here>.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Guilty as charged :)

But with Drakensang, Persona 3, Jade Empire, FF X, Xenosaga 3, and 15+ others to keep me busy I can afford to keep waiting. Plus Dragon Age and all the Fallout 3 DLC.

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Wednesday can't arrive fast enough.

You think this week is weak on releases? Wait until next week. Gamespot is showing one game; NCAA Football 10.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
On the bright side, at least this keeps my backlog from growing any more this week :)

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Earth Defense Force is one of my favorite "bad" games.

Play it with a friend in split screen, it's 10x more fun.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
As a huge fan of 1942 on the PC, I'm both excited about 1943 and put off by the slimming down of classes and some other changes they've made to the franchise in this release.

There's a good QuickLook on Giantbomb for it tho, it looks pretty good, graphics are obviously updated. I wish PC gamers weren't sitting on the bench for another 3-4 months waiting on it, luckily I always have 1942 installed when I'm feeling nostalgic :).

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: gorcorps
Hoping for a 1943 demo. Reviews are trickling in and are pretty good so far, but I'm a lot more stingy with buying downloadable games since I can't recoup any money by reselling it if I don't like it.

http://www.metacritic.com/game...3?q=battlefield%201943

Doesn't MS require demos for all XBLA games? The BF 1942 demo was the Wake Island map... that would be 1/3 of BF 1943. :Q I figure they'd probably do a time-limited demo for BF 1943 so you can't get too much enjoyment out of it. Maybe 5 minutes in a game at a time.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Also worth mentioning...BECAUSE IT KICKS ASS!

Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal on the Wii and PC this week.

JDub02

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2002
there's been quite a drought for games lately .. i don't even remember the last one i bought. probably gears 2 last christmas.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Krakn3Dfx

Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal on the Wii and PC this week.

The Nintendo Shop has already been updated for this week so we probably won't see Tales of Monkey Island on the Wii until next week.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Queasy

The Nintendo Shop has already been updated for this week so we probably won't see Tales of Monkey Island on the Wii until next week.

Bummer, maybe it'll show on the PC then, if not I'll just have to wait :brokenheart:

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001

Bummer, maybe it'll show on the PC then, if not I'll just have to wait :brokenheart:

It'll be on the PC tomorrow (7/7).

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005

LMAO - You are eternally waiting for <insert rumored 360 here>.
He'll be waiting for Valhalla after that. You'll see!

That insane 2k games deal this weekend on Steam is currently taking all of my time... damn you, Civ 4.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: erwos
That insane 2k games deal this weekend on Steam is currently taking all of my time... damn you, Civ 4.

Yeah, I'm actually trying to stay away from that. Civ games are like crack for me. I can play Halo, Forza, Battlefield, etc and have fun and put them down when the time is right. Civ always ends up with me looking up and saying, "Oh crap! It's 4AM!"

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
As a huge fan of 1942 on the PC, I'm both excited about 1943 and put off by the slimming down of classes and some other changes they've made to the franchise in this release.

There's a good QuickLook on Giantbomb for it tho, it looks pretty good, graphics are obviously updated. I wish PC gamers weren't sitting on the bench for another 3-4 months waiting on it, luckily I always have 1942 installed when I'm feeling nostalgic :).

I want this on PC really bad, I will get it for the xbox to keep me busy until they finally release it. I dont understand why they did the PC last though.... :(

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: gorcorps
Hoping for a 1943 demo. Reviews are trickling in and are pretty good so far, but I'm a lot more stingy with buying downloadable games since I can't recoup any money by reselling it if I don't like it.

http://www.metacritic.com/game...3?q=battlefield%201943

Doesn't MS require demos for all XBLA games? The BF 1942 demo was the Wake Island map... that would be 1/3 of BF 1943. :Q I figure they'd probably do a time-limited demo for BF 1943 so you can't get too much enjoyment out of it. Maybe 5 minutes in a game at a time.

There will definitely be a demo. The BF1943 splash page appeared on the NXE last night with 4 'buttons'; watch the 43 million kills trailer, download demo, download gamerpic & register for $4k in prizes and one more item which I can't recall. I tried the 'download demo' button, but I received an error, of course.

Anyone know when the knew arcade releases are typically available? Is it 1200 AM Eastern time on release day?

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Anyone know when the knew arcade releases are typically available? Is it 1200 AM Eastern time on release day?

Usually around 12AM Pacific time / 3AM EST.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Porter21
Can't wait for 1943!! Brings back memories of the good 'ole BF 1942 days :/

:thumbsup:

It still baffles me that its not out on PC first, the PC is what made this game what it was.... :(

For now I will have to get my fix on the xbox...... One more day!

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: JDub02
there's been quite a drought for games lately .. i don't even remember the last one i bought. probably gears 2 last christmas.

There have been games, just not your style I guess. The few that come to mind since the holidays are Infamous, Prototype, Ghostbusters, and Street Fighter 4. They all have solid reviews so they're worth checking out.