CONSIRACY THEORY: SEGA IN CAHOOTS WITH MICROSOFT AND THE XBOX?!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sephiroth_IX

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 1999

<< Seph, you keep bringing this up - did you ever know that the PS (the 1st one) made it for 5 years on 2 megs of RAM? Do you ever notice a memory deficiency in the games? >>

I do not care what you say, having like 4x the video memory WILL make a difference. Just because developers have had to try and fight memory forever does not mean they will not make use of the increased amount.

<< That is making kick-ass game machines, not f*cking set-tops that are jacks of all trades, but masters of none. >>

First of all, Xbox is made to be a video game console FIRST, and then the rest of the features. Second, if you have the power to do innovation for not huge price hikes, why not? I realize the PS2 DVD problem in Japan, but i think Sony will do much better in America with it. And XBOX is America first, who will like the features, and Japan second. Not the way everyone else is.

Toxin

May 6, 2000
ignorance is bliss.. eh genocide..

4MB of video ram... could be lacking.. may not be..

i don't give a crap about the XBox until M$ shows something... i couldn't care less about paper releases.. ala Intel...

right now... the PS2 is the best system available.. and thats that.. until someone dethrones them.. and as long as Square is committed to the PS2... the PS2 will sell millions.

Soulflare

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
I would like to repeat this for a couple people in this thread:

&quot;There was also two seconds of footage from what looked
suspiciously like Sonic The Hedgehog...but it was, in fact,
Argonaut's new mascot platformer exclusive to the XBox!&quot;

Argonaut is not Sonic Team, is not owned by Sega, and
would not have received the license to use Sonic from Sega.

RagingBITCH
Sega not only owns all of Sonic's copyrights, trademarks, and
licenses, but also owns Sonic Team. What Sega has done as a
result of their major financial problems, and I assume your
confusion comes from this, is that they have provided some of
their internal design teams with the freedom to choose which
platform(s) they wish to develop for. However, Sega still
owns and has complete control over all of their major
franchises, and therefore ST couldn't make a Sonic X-Box game
without HQ's blessing.

Anyways, the MS-Sega rumors carry as much weight as the
Nintendo-Sega rumors at the moment. I'd bet money that Sega
will be developing for the GameBoy Advance following the
failure of the NGPC(NeoGeo Pocket Color) and that could help
sway their console efforts to the GameCube.

I find this funny (from IGN).

<< Operating Systems: Customized Sega OS. Dreamcast is also designed to run a custom flavor of Microsoft Windows CE, and will display the official WinCE logo at startup if the game that's running utilizes it. >>

I have never seen the WinCE logo on any game. Can anyone name a WinCE game for the DC?

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

<< I do not care what you say, having like 4x the video memory WILL make a difference. Just because developers have had to try and fight memory forever does not mean they will not make use of the increased amount. >>

Seph - you're not going to notice the difference if they pump the texture resolution up much - remember, we're working with 640x480 here. Test it out on your PC, see how much you notice the difference between the highest texture settings and the next setting down from that (at 6x4) - it just doesnt make the type of impact it does at say 1024x768 - so don't sweat the RAM so much - leave it up to the developers!

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000

<< I have never seen the WinCE logo on any game. Can anyone name a WinCE game for the DC? >>

Im pretty sure that Sega Rally 2 uses CE. I think Midway Classics does too.

But Sega Rally 2 doesn't show the screen - im not sure about Midway Classics.

Croton

Banned
Jan 18, 2000
bragging time:

i have to hookup to get anything from microsoft for 10% of it's retail price.

XBOX BABY!!!!!

ForeverSilky

Banned
Apr 6, 2000

<< Sega knows that Nintendo knows what it is doing >>

Nintendo sure had their head up their ass when they decided to use carts for the N64 instead of cd's.

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000

<< Nintendo sure had their head up their ass when they decided to use carts for the N64 instead of cd's. >>

Thats because they wanted complete control over the making and distributing of Nintendo 64 games. They were _real_ strict around that time with stuff like that. They have become much more lenient, but they still are strict, as shown by using another proprietary format (though a _MUCH_ better one :p ).