Question Considering upgrading my 3700x build.

Willhub

Aug 30, 2008
Hi,

I've currently got this system spec:

AMD Ryzen 3700X
Asus ROG Strix B350F Motherboard
4*8GB DDR4 3200
Zotac Amp Holo 3080Ti.

I'm wondering if I'd benefit from either a slow incremental upgrade in regards to AMD (motherboard now and CPU after Christmas) possibly a 5600x or 5800x.

However it also seems like an upgrade to Intel would cost around the same, as I'd only need motherboard and CPU everything else works with it.

The i5 12600k seems like a good performer.

I mainly game at 4k and sometimes at 1440p on my 165Hz Dell monitor. I don't have RBAR due to my motherboard but that doesn't seem to get any extra performance out of a 3080 Ti.

I just feel with my 3700x that performance for the 3080 Ti is just not where it should be, even overclocked it doesn't seem to hit numbers on review sites.

Playing FS2020 at ultra is a struggle with frames easilly going to the mid to low 20s at points, this is with Windows 10, 11, 3080 FE and 3080 Ti. So can't be the GPU must be the system config possibly the CPU not up to it?

I notice the odd stuttering in games as well, and I've got the games installed on an Intel 660P Nvme drive.

Any ideas what I should do? Is there any point upgrading would it be big performance or negligible?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The 5000 series aren't supported on B350 motherboards, so you'd have to replace your motherboard was well.
https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b350-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_cpu

If you're going to upgrade, and not have to do it again for a while, either go with Ryzen 5800X or 5900X, or with an Intel 12700k or 12900k.

Both the 5900X and 12900K are overkill for gaming compared to the the better value 5800X or 12700K though. Even though 6 core CPUs like the 5600X or the 12600K are fine for now, you might regret giving up the extra cores in a few years since you are a high-resolution gamer with a beefy GPU.

If I were building a new gaming PC right now, I'd personally go with a 12700K and a DDR4 motherboard (because you're not finding DDR5 right now or in the foreseeable future). However, Intel's 12th gen CPUs perform better with Windows 11 due to it bein optimized for Intel's scheduler, so if you want to stay on Windows 10 until Microsoft's new OS gets the kinks worked out, then you might want to go with a Ryzen 5800X build instead.

Willhub

Aug 30, 2008
I'm worried about running into hurdles in the future such as socket change or new feature,.like with my current system it would be really handicapped with direct storage should that become available.

Should I see a good uplift in performance even at 4k?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'm worried about running into hurdles in the future such as socket change or new feature,.like with my current system it would be really handicapped with direct storage should that become available.
You build a PC because your current PC can't meet the performance requirements needed by the user. Of course with Intel users usually get two generations of CPUs before Intel changes the socket. AMD usually supports their sockets longer, but like you just found out, you are limited to the first three generations of their CPUs for your motherboard.

Should I see a good uplift in performance even at 4k?
You might not notice higher FPS at 4k gaming, but your lows should be a lot better (since you say it dips down to the 20s in your OP).

Most of the hardware review sites (and tons of YouTube channels) have plenty of benchmarks you can read / watch, so you would be able to see what performance gains you would get with a new CPU compared to your Ryzen 3700X in 4k gaming.