Considering this new rig

imported_GenericUser

Jun 19, 2005
Yeah, I've finally gotten around to building myself a new computer for myself. My old computer, although stable, was very inadequate for many things I wanted to do. Gaming was one such reason for my decision to build a new computer. I've been researching my purchase for about 2 months now, and I have based my decisions on the reviews and recomendations I've found on anandtech, silentpcreview, tomshardware, and a few other places. I'm considering the following components for my new computer:

Antec Solution SLK3700-BQE Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 350W Power Supply - Retail
$79.99 + $10 s/h fee at chiefvalue

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model VS1GBKIT400 - Retail
$79 at chiefvalue (free shipping)

Leadtek PX6600GT TDH Geforce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI-Express x16 Video Card - Retail
$169 at chiefvalue (free shipping)

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3000BPBOX - Retail
$146 at chiefvalue (free shipping)

EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
$105 at chiefvalue (free shipping)

Total(after s/h and CA taxes): $630
after stupid CA computer recycling tax: probably ~$650

All the links lead to newegg, but I plan to purchase all the parts from chiefvalue. I do already know that chiefvalue and newegg are basically the same company, but the total price at chiefvalue is quite cheaper than the total price at newegg by about $30. My budget is about $750, but i really can't think of anything I need to upgrade. I really don't need a graphics card higher than a 6600gt, though a vanilla x800 could be a possibility. So, if possible, can you guys give me any comments on my new rig, and tell me what I could replace for minimal price. thanks and enjoy.

CheesePoofs

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2004
That looks great. Only thing I would be concerned about is that the PSU that comes with that case might not power your system. You might want to look at one of antec's new cases, they come with their new-gen PSU's.

imported_GenericUser

Jun 19, 2005
So what would be a good psu for my setup? Or better yet, what case w/psu would you recommend for this setup?

edit: would the 350w psu not be enough for my setup or do you mean that the one included with the bqe3700 has stability issues?

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
350 watts is enough for that rig, but i think he is talking about the 16/24 pin PSU. check to see what your motherboard is and make sure the power supply is the same. other than that, great rig

imported_GenericUser

Jun 19, 2005
But from what I'm hearing around the forums, if the power supply is 20pin and the mobo is 24pin, then it will still work without any problems.