Question Considering switching from a B550 to an X570S motherboard

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I right now have an Asus B550-F ROG (Wi-Fi) motherboard with a Ryzen 5800x. I'm considering switching to an X570S motherboard and the MC about an hour's drive away from me carries the MSI Tomahawk X570S motherboard. Only reason I'm considering replacing my motherboard is because on most of it's USB ports, it has issues detecting my iPhone 12, Samsung Secure Erase program does not detect my USB keyboard or my Samsung SSDs, and lately my XBox One USB controller has been dropping out, requiring to to physically disconnect it and reconnect it again to get it to detect it again. Now this evening I went to the Device Manager and unchecked "allow computer to turn off device to save power" under the XBox One controller Power Management section in the Properties and also did the same for the USB Root Hub devices to see if that will be a workaround to the issue or not. I also installed the Xbox accessories app and made sure my controller's firmware was up to date and it was. Also yesterday I was playing Doom Eternal in Windows 11, and my XBox One controller stopped responding in the game and I ended up getting killed in the game and the controller was rumbling non-stop in the game until I disconnected the controller from my PC. I went back to Windows 10 and that did incident did not happen again but I still get the random disconnection issues with my controller and both times it happened I was starting up Doom Eternal where it did not see my XBox One controller and showed keyboard prompts instead of Xbox One controller prompts. I'm thinking about switching to the MSI Tomahawk X570S motherboard and then arranging an RMA of my Asus B550-F ROG with the manufacturer in case I might have a defective motherboard. I'm not sure if replacing the motherboard with a different one, especially one with a higher end chipset will solve these issues I'm getting if on the chance that it's not a defective motherboard. I have BIOS version 2423 installed on my motherboard and the latest chipset drivers installed that were downloaded directly from AMD's website. These issues I mentioned never happened in my i7-4930k / Asus P9X79 Pro system, however I never played Doom Eternal on that system, so I wonder if that game is triggering something in the OS to drop out my Xbox One Controller from my system randomly because when I go to the controller's Advanced Settings in the Control Panel it does not see the controller either when this happens.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I also sometimes feel like going back to my i7-4930k system because I think it was more reliable than my Ryzen 5800x system despite the single threaded performance being nearly twice as fast and multithreaded performance being almost 3 times as fast as my i7-4930k system. However, if I do that then my 32GB DDR4-3200 memory and my two 2TB Samsung NVMe SSDs would go to waste laying around unused that I specifically purchased to use in my Ryzen 5800x system, not to mention the case, CPU cooler, and power supply that I specifically purchased to use with this Ryzen 5800x system. However, if these issues can be resolved by replacing the motherboard with a different one or if it's just a defective motherboard that's causing the issue with my iPhone 12 and XBox One controller then my opinion about going back to my i7-4930k will change.

Last edited:

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I also tried a 3rd party cable that I use in my vehicle for charging my iPhone and it too is having this issue although it does seem to detect my iPhone 12 more often than with the other cable but still eventually after disconnecting and reconnecting the cable a bunch of times to test out if it really fixed the issue, the issue cropped back up again.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I'm considering switching to an X570S motherboard and the MC about an hour's drive away from me carries the MSI Tomahawk X570S motherboard.
Good plan. I had the USB dropout issues on an X370 board, until I pulled it from service last month. Nothing completely resolved it. All my B450 and X570 boards are solid though. I use a Xbox bluetooth controller, 360 wired controller, wireless headset, wireless m&kb, ext. SSD and HDD, drive cradle, flash drives, and zero issues. Makes me lean towards agreeing that your board is flaky.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Good plan. I had the USB dropout issues on an X370 board, until I pulled it from service last month. Nothing completely resolved it. All my B450 and X570 boards are solid though. I use a Xbox bluetooth controller, 360 wired controller, wireless headset, wireless m&kb, ext. SSD and HDD, drive cradle, flash drives, and zero issues. Makes me lean towards agreeing that your board is flaky.

It's too bad that I'm way past the return period for the motherboard, as the USB Xbox One controller random disconnection issue started happening about 2 weeks ago and I bought the motherboard in Dec 2020 and I really didn't discover the iPhone 12 USB detection issue until 3 months ago when I was setting up my ad in Craigslist for an old computer I was trying to sell.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Ok, I have a powered USB 2.0 hub lying around in my storage chest and tested it on one of the problem ports of my PC, specifically one of the front ones, and my iPhone 12 is getting detected without any issues with all folders with their files showing up. I disconnecting/reconnecting the USB cable from the hub several times to try to recreate the issue and the issue has not showed up so far when using the powered USB hub. It seems to me that the USB ports of my motherboard/case are not supplying enough power to my iPhone 12 except the 2 bottom rear USB ports of my motherboard. My iPhone 5s had no detection issues being directly connected to this PC on the front USB port (only tested the front USB port with my iPhone 5s). I have no issues charging my iPhone through those USB ports though. My mom's iPad has no detection issue with my PC either. Is the iPhone 12 really that demanding for USB power or are the front USB ports of my case and most of the USB ports directly from my motherboard underspec for power delivery, or does it sound like a defective motherboard and possibly a defective case as well?

Reactions: killster1

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
My B450-F ROG STRIX ATX mobo, has a BIOS option, something about allowing charging with the PC off. I always Disable that, as it would seem to use the +5VSB line for USB power if that were enabled, and that has limited current capacity.

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net
I also tried a 3rd party cable that I use in my vehicle for charging my iPhone and it too is having this issue although it does seem to detect my iPhone 12 more often than with the other cable but still eventually after disconnecting and reconnecting the cable a bunch of times to test out if it really fixed the issue, the issue cropped back up again.
Might try disabling XHCI handoff in the BIOS. I have an Asus B550 motherboard (the TUF Gaming) that Windows doesn't really like my Iogear KVM switch much when it's enabled. Disabled and everything works, more or less, the way it should.

Hideously bad web page, doesn't even render right in Firefox.

But that is the newest BIOS ver.
Renders correctly in Firefox here.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
My B450-F ROG STRIX ATX mobo, has a BIOS option, something about allowing charging with the PC off. I always Disable that, as it would seem to use the +5VSB line for USB power if that were enabled, and that has limited current capacity.

I tried that a few hours ago. It did a better detection of my iPhone 12 this time, but didn't resolve the issue totally as after physically disconnecting/reconnecting the USB cable, on the 3rd reconnection of the USB cable, the detection of my iPhone 12 started slacking off, while showing the loading spinning circle and on only loading some of the folders and was in a non-stop loading state then so I disconnecting/reconnected the USB cable and my PC didn't detect my iPhone 12 at all and was in a constant loading state and not showing anything including my drives under the My PC window in the desktop until I disconnected the USB cable from my PC to get it out of it's non-stop loading state.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Getting an X570S board and possibly RMAing the current board sounds reasonable. I will say I have been quite happy with my current MSI X570 board. Hopefully this will fix the USB issues you were having, though as others mentioned before in other threads, Samsung Magician can just be buggy and is not worth worrying about too much.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Getting an X570S board and possibly RMAing the current board sounds reasonable. I will say I have been quite happy with my current MSI X570 board. Hopefully this will fix the USB issues you were having, though as others mentioned before in other threads, Samsung Magician can just be buggy and is not worth worrying about too much.

Yeah, but you have a high-end motherboard. I'm not sure if a motherboard's chipset has anything to do with supplying power to USB ports and more to do with motherboard build quality/power delivery. The MSI X570S Tomahawk I was considering is not a high-end board, but more of a upper mid-range board.

Last edited:

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Might try disabling XHCI handoff in the BIOS. I have an Asus B550 motherboard (the TUF Gaming) that Windows doesn't really like my Iogear KVM switch much when it's enabled. Disabled and everything works, more or less, the way it should.

Renders correctly in Firefox here.

I think this workaround you mentioned here worked as it now does not have any issues detecting my iPhone 12 as of yet since disabling XHCI handoff in the BIOS. I then tried disconnecting/reconnecting the USB cable several times from the PC to try to recreate this issue and couldn't get this issue to show up again. XHCI handoff was enabled by default in the BIOS. Strange how when I had my iPhone 12 connected to my powered USB hub, I had no issues with my iPhone 12 getting detected by my PC with this XHCI handoff enabled. I'm not sure if this is just a bandaid to the root cause of this issue and if I shouldn't have to do this workaround to resolve this issue and it's pointing to very likely a defective motherboard.

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net
Whether you "should" have to do it or not is unknown to me. The ability to enable or disable it is there for a (some) reason. If that's the only issue I have, I'll just disable after every BIOS update. If I was purchasing a new board today, for personal use, I'd go with the x570 chipset.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I'm still having the random disconnection issue with my Xbox One controller even after turning off the power saving features for the Xbox One controller and USB root hub devices and USB input devices, and turning off USB Selected Suspend in the Power Plan settings in Windows. One thing in common is that all those times it happened, I was starting up Doom Eternal after leaving my PC on idling for at least 7 hours without touching my Xbox One controller. After I exit Doom Eternal, the Xbox One controller is not detected under Controller in the Advanced , under Devices and Printers in the Control Panel so I doubt this has anything to do with Doom Eternal. However, the controller is still shown in the Device Manager and the Guide button of the controller is still lighten up but it shows one USB input device less under the HID section. I have the Xbox One controller connected to one of the front USB ports of my PC.

Last edited:

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I now have the Xbox One controller connected to a rear USB port. If the disconnection issue happens again I'm going to try to get an RMA arranged with the manufacturer of the motherboard since that's a direct connection to the motherboard. If it's just happens on the front USB ports, it could be the case or the motherboard (front USB 3.0 header on the motherboard).

Last edited:
Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I feel like you build enough PCs, you get something like this. It's frustrating when I build many PCs a year and get a bum one every other year or so, and it sounds like you go many years between PCs. That's just straight up bad luck.

I've found cursed motherboards are cursed. I have had it from basically all manufacturers and any chipset really.

Good luck, I'm also commenting so I get updates as you move forward :)

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I feel like you build enough PCs, you get something like this. It's frustrating when I build many PCs a year and get a bum one every other year or so, and it sounds like you go many years between PCs. That's just straight up bad luck.

I've found cursed motherboards are cursed. I have had it from basically all manufacturers and any chipset really.

Good luck, I'm also commenting so I get updates as you move forward :)
exactly super frustrating and has def happened to me.

im all for a second pci upgraded usb3.3 card to test / avoid a big hassle of the upgrade whole motherboard.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
A few minutes ago my Xbox One controller disconnected even when connected to one of the motherboard's rear USB ports. The last thing I did just before it happened was I moved my Logitech unifying receiver to one of the front USB ports and in the process I disconnected my USB keyboard to make it easier to disconnect the Unifying receiver then I reconnected my USB keyboard and then inserted the Logitech unifying receiver to one of the front USB ports. So this is basically a random thing that happens and nothing to do after a certain amount of time of inactivity of the Xbox One controller as I was playing Doom Eternal about 30 minutes with my Xbox One controller without issues before this happened, or at least I noticed it happened. The thing is that the light is still on on my Xbox One controller even though communication between my PC and the controller is lost. Also there is no disconnection beep when the controller lose it's USB connection signal with the PC.