considering Ellen is a female homosexual, she behaves a lot like a straight man.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
It's all about power, it seems to me.

And filling available ecological niches.

If there are no straight-white-men around to abuse power, someone else will step up to the plate. If you got rid of all the males, before long a new social division would appear among women.

Differences of power are always abused. Surely the ideal should be to remove those power differences? The impossible dilemma is that to remove power differences requires....power.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Amazing the sheer amount of brain-cells you have to lack to know all the information about the multiple incidents and just come out with... It was the evil white men doing it all. White LGBTQQQQQ waman is totally innocent.

As-if the head-fucking host that commands literally everything has zero burden or expectations lol.

Just wow - the amount of stupidity and mental gymnastics you have to have to jump 50 miles to that random conclusion.

We really do need to invest more in mental institutions.
If you think that is something, then here, let me show you the marvel that is the mind of a Trumpanian. Turtles all the way down man.

Nov 8, 2012

If there are no straight-white-men around to abuse power, someone else will step up to the plate. If you got rid of all the males, before long a new social division would appear among women.

Differences of power are always abused. Surely the ideal should be to remove those power differences? The impossible dilemma is that to remove power differences requires....power.

Probably one of the first sensible posts I've read here in a long time.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Like if the resident village idiot leaves said village, another idiot will seek to fill the void? Interesting.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I've known of lesbian couples where there was a serious level of domestic violence, for example. Including one where one threw the other out of a 2nd floor window. That was unusual though as usually there isn't the same difference in physical strength between partners as in a heterosexual couple (or in economic power either). It's not about intrinsic wickedness of groups, I think, it's just about power. Hence in general the aim should be to alleviate imbalances of power between people. I don't quite know how you achieve that, though, as so many attempt to do so have foundered on the abuse of power by those with the power to, er, challenge power.

I feel the same way about cycling on roads among motor-traffic - even decent people become bullys when they are safe in a large high-momentum metal box.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Yeeeea .. I think there is a certain mass of assholes, once you get rid of that pool things will get infinity better from there on. (and no, I dont think anyone on here qualifies as an actual asshole).
You know the saying, power is something you take?
Remember the movie Gladiator?

Government of the people, by the people, for the people .

How can you have that when those in power is in power for themselves?
Get the assholes out.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Yeeeea .. I think there is a certain mass of assholes, once you get rid of that pool things will get infinity better from there on. (and no, I dont think anyone on here qualifies as an actual asshole).
You know the saying, power is something you take?
Remember the movie Gladiator?

Government of the people, by the people, for the people .

How can you have that when those in power is in power for themselves?
Get the assholes out.

I think I disagree on that. Seems to me (almost?) everyone is a potential asshole, if they are put in a position of having power over others. You see it all the time (I certainly have - both with idealistic political types and with so-called 'caring professions'). You can even be one without consciously being aware of it. Furthermore, circumstances conspire to constantly put people into conflict with each other, because the world is complex and everyone has different experiences and circumstances, with different needs and positive and negative incentives. That, plus an uneven-distribution of power is the source of assholery. The really difficult (impossible?) problem is how to change things to alleviate the power differences between people without getting mired in the very problem you are trying to fix. History is full of attempts to remodel things to reduce those power differences that ended up as just another example of the problem.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Behaving a lot like a straight man pretty much sums up Ellen's comedy. The few times of seen snippets of her show, I kept waiting for the funny that never came.

Side note: Coors ceramics has an outlet store in my fair city where they offload their overstocks and discontinued items. When we moved our office, one of my coworkers went to to the outlet store to procure coffee mugs for the new break room. She returned with several dozen "Ellen" mugs because they were only 25¢ each.
Some of her games have a little bit of cruelty and humilation involved. Although, Frank Zappa said, you can get just about anybody to do anything for $50.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I think I disagree on that. Seems to me (almost?) everyone is a potential asshole, if they are put in a position of having power over others. You see it all the time (I certainly have - both with idealistic political types and with so-called 'caring professions'). You can even be one without consciously being aware of it. Furthermore, circumstances conspire to constantly put people into conflict with each other, because the world is complex and everyone has different experiences and circumstances, with different needs and positive and negative incentives. That, plus an uneven-distribution of power is the source of assholery. The really difficult (impossible?) problem is how to change things to alleviate the power differences between people without getting mired in the very problem you are trying to fix. History is full of attempts to remodel things to reduce those power differences that ended up as just another example of the problem.
Mmmm oki I can see that. I can also see people who is gonna be assholes no matter what. Shrugs.