Considering building a game server

Nov 26, 2005
I am considering building an online game server for UT3. How strong of a machine would I need in order to run it for either a 12 player DM server, or a 20 player Greed server?

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
Not very strong... If I remember right it's all CPU and connection speed, with a little RAM thrown in. Only need enough video to do work on the machine itself, not for game play. A 2-3GHz CPU should be plenty, might have to research and see if dual core will even use the 2nd core. Couple Gig's of RAM just because. This is a game from what 2007, 2008? 12 people shouldn't be much of an issue for that or even less I wouldn't think.

Are you thinking of buying parts for this, piecing one together from spares, or trying something on a virtual machine inside your main rig?

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
It doesn't have to be very strong for that many players and game type. A basic 2-4 core machine should do it but more importantly is whether your network is robust enough to handle. I wouldn't mind slow loading but high network latency for a FPS game is unacceptable.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
It's been a while since I've fired up UT3 but last time I did it was quite the ghost town with plenty of empty servers and most of the populated ones had mostly or all bots. If you're wanting a server for the general public, you'll likely be disappointed with the number of connections. If you want one for just you and your buds to play on, it would seem like you can simply pick one of then many empty ones without investing your own $$$