Considering a trek 7300 for my daughter

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The biggest problem I've run into with the street bikes with weak front suspensions (RST falls into that group) is that they "mush" out on you and kill any ability to accellerate well on the bike.

Basically if you try to get agressive on the bike the front forks just dip down and prevent you from getting a good momentum built up. They'll also bottom out easy and are there more for marketing than anything.

But your daughter probably isn't pushing 200 pounds and really beating the crap out of the bike like I did. :p

I had a GT hybrid that was pretty much identical component wise to the Trek. It was comfy and worked for riding streets and paved trails, but the front RST suspension was more for marketing than any function. It just was too soft and didn't have enough travel.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
damn, I want a trek too.

Can I be your daughter as well? I can take the new ferry and come by to pick it up :)

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
when i bought my bike, trek 7200, iirc....

the salesman told me that the bike w/ the suspension was crap and not to waste my money on it...

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
They frequently put really cheap front forks on those hardtail mtbs. If she's not going to ride it off road or on trails at all then I'd probably get her the one without suspension.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Suspension makes the front of a road bike mushy without any real benefit. you get a bike that compresses in the front when you pedal hard instead of accelerating like you want it to. Meanwhile, you rarely hit a bump on the street that will really benefit from the suspension.

Even on mountain bikes, here suspension is actually beneficial. many of them come with a "lock-out" feature so that you can disable the suspension when you're climbing or otherwise require the most efficiency possible.

Suspension on a road bike isa gimmick that does more harm than good.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
vi_edit and notfred are right, take their advice

By the way, Treks rock :D

<---- trek owner!

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
vi_edit and notfred are right, take their advice

By the way, Treks rock :D

<---- trek owner!

I've got a Treky Fisher. Err...Gary Fisher.

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000
One is SRAM components and one is Shimano ... I prefer shimano, but that's just me.

Have her go for a test ride!!! :)

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Yeah, I'd go for the one without the shock. It has better components on it. I doubt she'll ever have any use for the shock anyway.

That said, I'll be Brutuskend and recommend a Haro V3.