considering a toyota matrix? read this!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Rallispec
Originally posted by: aphexII
Originally posted by: aphexII
** aphexII spits out his drink....

Did ralli just reccomend a VW? I think ive died and gone to heaven :)

savor the moment.. this will be the last time. :)

No, i think deep down inside you secretly crave to drive a passat....

you keep telling yourself that. (although, im pretty sure i referred to the Golf in my first post, not the passat)

:)

as long as you dont like the new beetle though, its okay.

I dont have a vagina, therefore i do not like the beetle :D

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
ahh..handles like a corolla... nothing at all like the ferrari-like sharp reflexes of a sentra.. thanks for the info.. i won't buy a matrix

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: d33pt
ahh..handles like a corolla... nothing at all like the ferrari-like sharp reflexes of a sentra.. thanks for the info.. i won't buy a matrix

actually, in my experiences-- the sentra handles more like mclaren f1 than a ferrari.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: andylawcc
i believe the term "fast" highly depends on the driver, sitting in my car as a passenger it always seems I am going just tooo fast...

wouldn't you agree Outersquare :p

hahaha, yeah on the way to the meet, I'm like, 'dude, slow down' :Q

Nutbucket rode in my car recently and later he's like, 'you run the freaking piss out of your prizm. I swear your gas pedal is always 3/4 of the ways down.' :Q Not that he's any better. :p

Though that's nothing compared to when I had my accord, one time I was driving with a friend who was riding passenger side and towards the end of the trip, her face was ghost white. :Q I kind of felt bad when I noticed that and so I pulled over to the slow lane and putzed along at 60.

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000

actually, in my experiences-- the sentra handles more like mclaren f1 than a ferrari.
The Sentra and the McLaren are identical except for the sheet metal, right?

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

Part of the reason the corolla has crappy stock handling is because they come from the factory with sh*tty firestone tires, or atleast mine did. Swap them with some Michelins and you'll notice a difference.

Thankfully, I burned up the original tires on my car in 19K miles and got new ones. :Q :D

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Cyberian

hahahaha

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001

For the most part, the sentra is just a rebadged Mclaren with a few extra bells and whistles.

Turkey

Jan 10, 2000

Yep. Exactly the same except the engine, electricals, transmission, seats, doors, floorboard, unibody, windows & windsheild, wheels, tires, brakes & lines, steering wheel, pedals, stereo, amp, speakers, door handles, interior upholstery, spare tire, dashboard, and airbags. It's just personal preference... do you want to drive a Nissan or a McLaren. I think the masses have spoken ;).

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Turkey

Yep. Exactly the same except the engine, electricals, transmission, seats, doors, floorboard, unibody, windows & windsheild, wheels, tires, brakes & lines, steering wheel, pedals, stereo, amp, speakers, door handles, interior upholstery, spare tire, dashboard, and airbags. It's just personal preference... do you want to drive a Nissan or a McLaren. I think the masses have spoken ;).

hehe, I believe Rallispec is just kidding...

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: OuterSquare
Originally posted by: kenleung
corolla sucks compared to my sentra :D
how many hp does corolla have? 125hp? it's nothing compared to a 115hp civic LX

nissan ~ driven

130 standard now. Don't rip on my ride, a lot of hot girls drive corollas. :p

That argument only hold water if you, yourself, are a hot girl.
Otherwise it can be quite the detraction.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Balthazar

That argument only hold water if you, yourself, are a hot girl.
Otherwise it can be quite the detraction.

Actually not really. Join a corolla car club and see for yourself. :p

woodly6

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
I do agree with some of your review, the bad line of sight, the gauges and poor lighting, I have had my Matrix XRS for almost 5 months now, and I didnt have a problem with the shifting or learning the gearbox. I like the general styling of the car, but that what opinions are for, if everyone like the way ONE certin car looked, we would all be driving that car. I personally cant stand Corvettes but that doesnt stop other people from buying them. I dont take my car out and race it, there is the general driving fast down the freeway, passing accelleration, stuff like that. I am not too interested in it, its fun and all just too money and time consuming to get into it again. So I wanted a car that suited me, looked good IMO, and has usefull features, mainly space for someone who is 6'2" 250lbs and his friends or family.

I looked at the Mazda P5, I didnt fit all to great in it, kinda uncomfortable. The PT Crusier, I didnt like the style too much but other wise a pretty good car. I would of loved to get a VW Golf or Subaru WRX, just didnt have the money for the options I wanted on those cars. So I went for the Matrix. I am not claiming this car to be perfect, it has flaws, IMO the stero system sucks royal ass and is getting replaced soon, the blind spot issue, it sits a bit high but the springs I ordered for it should help out in that department.

I found your review to be good and very subjective, keep it up, this was a good read.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
Originally posted by: woodly6
I do agree with some of your review, the bad line of sight, the gauges and poor lighting, I have had my Matrix XRS for almost 5 months now, and I didnt have a problem with the shifting or learning the gearbox. I like the general styling of the car, but that what opinions are for, if everyone like the way ONE certin car looked, we would all be driving that car. I personally cant stand Corvettes but that doesnt stop other people from buying them. I dont take my car out and race it, there is the general driving fast down the freeway, passing accelleration, stuff like that. I am not too interested in it, its fun and all just too money and time consuming to get into it again. So I wanted a car that suited me, looked good IMO, and has usefull features, mainly space for someone who is 6'2" 250lbs and his friends or family.

I looked at the Mazda P5, I didnt fit all to great in it, kinda uncomfortable. The PT Crusier, I didnt like the style too much but other wise a pretty good car. I would of loved to get a VW Golf or Subaru WRX, just didnt have the money for the options I wanted on those cars. So I went for the Matrix. I am not claiming this car to be perfect, it has flaws, IMO the stero system sucks royal ass and is getting replaced soon, the blind spot issue, it sits a bit high but the springs I ordered for it should help out in that department.

I found your review to be good and very subjective, keep it up, this was a good read.

cool. thanks :)

And you've got a good point. If differnet people didnt like different cars, the world would be a sucky place. I couldnt imagine how boring it would be if everyone drove sentras.

out of curiousity, did you test drive the matrix XR before getting the XRS?

anyways, i think you've got a great a little car and i'm glad you like it. Get some pics of it once you put the springs on and lower it some. :)

-danny

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
I have had my XR-4WD MATRIX for 5 months now.. lets see if i can counter some of your points

I was also let down by the interior of the car. While it is roomy and spacious, and even with my seat all the way back there is enough leg room for an adult in the rear seat- their is still not as much room as i would have expected. The trunk is much smaller than i would have expected.

The interior legroom is awesome... i come from a big family... and when i got the car... i had 5 full size adults in it with no comfort problems.. the headroom is a much welcome surprise! I haven't had any problems with the trunkspace... i've been able to carry about 15 grocery bags, or 1 21" TV in box at one time.... and if you fold down the rear seats, I was able to get a bookcase in..

The visibility from the car is terrible as well. The back window is small and blocked by the headrests in the rear seats. The blind spots are huge to the side of the car and front the left pillar blocks a good portion of your sight as well, something that could get annoying when doing tight manuvering. Backing up in the Matrix is difficult, to say the least.

You might not have had the the mirrors adjusted correctly... i've never had problems with rear view sights.... or blind spots.

Okay, so how is the performance.... Something that i dont think most people realize is that the Matrix is just a hatchback corolla. The are both based on the same platform, and the Matrix owners guide lists it as a corolla. With that said- this car performs like a corolla. Pick up and acceleration is decent. However the gear ratios are spread to wide apart and make quick cat like acceleration difficult. The clutch is akward and very loose, while shifting gears is actually very rough and difficult to do. I found myself grinding gears once or twice because of the difficulty finding and putting the car into varoius gears. The 6 speed transmission is nothing like what i'm used on the SE-R. The shifter is also located very far forward, meaning you have to keep your arm stretched out to shift gears. Placement for it doesnt not seem very well thought out.

Handling was decent.. It hugged corners pretty well, however due to the increased hieght of the Matrix, I experienced much more body roll than I am used to.

Mebbe the XR performs differently than the XRS (which it should... the XRS 6spd engine is the 2ZZGE engine used in the Celica GT-S, while the XR is the 1ZZFE engine design... which means the XRS should have BETTER performance. The XR isn't designed to be a racecar... but i've never had problems with jackrabbit starts.. and here in NY... i routinely do 90+ on the northern state coming home from work at 1am... and that has some nice curves. I've never experienced any body roll like you describe.... but then again.. the XR 4WD might have a tighter sway bar because of the 4WD.

The gauges were small and the red lettering was too small and not bright enough, making it difficult to read when the sunlight was shinging on them through the window.

To the left of the steering wheel column is the instrument guage lighting control... turn it on... makes a world of difference. NEVER had problems.

The controls for the Cruise Control were hidden behind the stearing wheel, i didnt even realize they were there until after i got out of the car. The seats were okay, I felt like i was sitting up very high, same type of feeling you get in a minivan.

eh... i never have problems finding the cruise control... but then again... i've driven an Avalon and Corolla and the cruise control is always in the same place.. mebbe i'm used to it?

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
wow.. i didnt even realize they made a 4wd model.

Mebbe the XR performs differently than the XRS (which it should... the XRS 6spd engine is the 2ZZGE engine used in the Celica GT-S, while the XR is the 1ZZFE engine design... which means the XRS should have BETTER performance. The XR isn't designed to be a racecar... but i've never had problems with jackrabbit starts.. and here in NY... i routinely do 90+ on the northern state coming home from work at 1am... and that has some nice curves. I've never experienced any body roll like you describe.... but then again.. the XR 4WD might have a tighter sway bar because of the 4WD.

yeah, i'm sure their is a huge difference between them.. but either way, the gear ratios, at least in my opinion, have been spread out too wide to maximize effeciency. I was going about 10-15mph in second gear and the car was struggling, nearly stalling out until i downshifted into first. In my car, i can still peel out from a dead stop barely touching the gas from second gear. And shifting in the matrix was just very rough. I felt like i was going to break something just putting the car into gear.

in the end though, i think its all just a matter of personal preference and what you're used too. I've driven nissan's for the past 3 years now and have become very accustomed to how they perform and how they handle. The matrix is definetly not a nissan.

I like your car though, like the color a lot, and i'm glad you like it (thats all that matters anyways, right?)

-danny

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: hoihtah
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: Beau6183
Originally posted by: ElFenix
i think vibe looks better. i wonder if it has stupid shifter placement too?

I drove a Vibe a few weeks ago. It's a fun car to drive, red lines at around 9000 rpm, with it's sweet spot at 5-7000, makes for fun hi-speed shifting. 6-speed manual as well, placed very similarly to a mid-90's geo tracker. Sound system sucks.

so what you're saying is that its buzzy and to get performance out of it you have to through your ride quality out the window?

wow... i didn't know this was a high revving engine.

what's the official red line on this car?

IIRC, it was ~11,000

woodly6

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001

cool. thanks :)

And you've got a good point. If differnet people didnt like different cars, the world would be a sucky place. I couldnt imagine how boring it would be if everyone drove sentras.

out of curiousity, did you test drive the matrix XR before getting the XRS?

anyways, i think you've got a great a little car and i'm glad you like it. Get some pics of it once you put the springs on and lower it some. :)

-danny

No I did not test drive an XR but I did test a Base model, and it was very clunky feeling, the low power couldnt push the car along the road very well.