Conservatives suddendly decide carrying guns is extreme when black people start carrying?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
This thread is about all you 2 faced righties, all for your 2A rights until black people start exercising them. If you did a little reading, there is historical context from you people. That's why blacks are in greater danger when they open carry. That's how John Crawford was killed. That's how Tamir Rice was killed.

It's a huge risk when you carry a weapon, especially if you open carry and make it obvious to the world you have a gun. Doing so while black will heighten the risk, as will doing so with a rifle strapped to your back vs a revolver on a belt holster, as will doing so in a high crime area vs in a small rural town like where I live. Right or wrong, that's the current reality.

But neither Tamir Rice nor John Crawford were legally open carrying. Crawford was holding an unpackaged BB gun in a Walmart while Tamir Rice was playing with a realistic looking airsoft gun that was lacking the orange tip. What happened to both of them was an example of cops shooting first and asking questions later. I've only read a bit about those cases, but I'm somewhat surprised no charges were filed so the legality of those shootings could at least be decided in court. I'd like to say I trust the investigations and/or grand juries who decided not to file charges, but who knows how trustworthy they really were.

But I agree with you on the extreme hypocrisy of any so-called 2A supporter who are scared by armed minorities. The right is guaranteed to ALL citizens. But I will not be told it's wrong to condemn openly branding weapons in public like in the photo you posted. Race isn't an issue when I call out idiots who believe that kind of behavior is legal open carry.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Hmmm. Wasn't this the premise for Republicans enacting gun control in the 60s? Not surprised

Black-Panthers-GA.jpg

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/conservatives-suddenly-decide-guns-bad-165938363.html

Hi! I'm shoe! Who are you?

Hiya! I'm Other Foot! Glad to meet cha!

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Condemning what?

You mean like this:

05Sumners.jpg

Liam-Payne-Main.jpg

1519269331983.jpg

_101617489_bennett2_976getty.jpg
Posing for a photo at home or in a place it's legal to shoot isn't even close to what's going on in the photo in the OP. And that idiot chick who did the stunt of taking a gun to college in your last photo is actually legally open carrying. I don't agree with what she did, but slung on your back and keeping your hands off of it is exactly how you legally open carry a long gun in a public place.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Open and concealed carry WITHOUT EVEN A LICENCE are both legal here in Idaho. But that's not legal open carry going on in that photo, which was my only point. Legal open carry requires your weapon stay in your holster or your long gun stays slung on your back. Carrying a gun in your hands is brandishing and a crime unless you have a legal reason to be doing so.

So what's going on in that photo is not legal open carry. Not to mention one of those weapons in the photo appears to have an under-barrel grenade launcher on it. Not exactly legal without the correct permits and background checks, and even then I don't think it's legal for concealed or open carry.

Can you open carry a weapon in front of the polls? If otherwise legally carrying, in most places you can carry *IN* a polling place just like any other public place. So I'm sure you could walk home past a polling place while legally open carrying without a problem, but if you decide to hang out on the street in front of the polling place while open carrying you are going to be asked by the cops to leave unless you have legit business being there.

When I went to vote yesterday I *CHOSE* to leave my pistol at home, even though I wear it well concealed so it's damn hard to spot. I couldn't imagine open carrying into a polling place (or open carry in general) unless I was a grandstanding idiot trying to make a political statement. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I believe the law in my state is to open carry your must perform at least two actions to fire the gun. Something like that (I have a CCW, don't know or care too much about open carry law), have to chamber the round then pull the trigger. These guys aren't likely following the law in how they are carrying their weapons in public.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Does the New Black Panther party qualify as a well-regulated militia?

Discuss.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
I believe the law in my state is to open carry your must perform at least two actions to fire the gun. Something like that (I have a CCW, don't know or care too much about open carry law), have to chamber the round then pull the trigger. These guys aren't likely following the law in how they are carrying their weapons in public.
As soon as the gun goes from slung or holstered to in your hands you are committing a crime unless you have a legal reason to be doing so.

The two action clause is usually for guns not on your direct person, like stored in your vehicle. I can carry my gun on me loaded with a round in the chamber, but if I store it in my car I have to unload it and store it separate and away from the loaded magazine. Otherwise, it would be illegal to carry a loaded and holstered revolver, since they only require you to pull the trigger.

The laws vary, and local law enforcement may not interpret the law exactly the way you see it, so it's best to err on the side of caution. I just hate the way the opposition misrepresent guns laws to make disingenuous statements equating open carry or stand your ground to be a licence to kill. I read some story today stating that because of gun show "loopholes" in some states it would be legal for an 8-year-old to buy a shotgun. If we can't at least be honest when debating this shit then why even debate?

Reactions: SlowSpyder

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
As soon as the gun goes from slung or holstered to in your hands you are committing a crime unless you have a legal reason to be doing so.

The two action clause is usually for guns not on your direct person, like stored in your vehicle. I can carry my gun on me loaded with a round in the chamber, but if I store it in my car I have to unload it and store it separate and away from the loaded magazine. Otherwise, it would be illegal to carry a loaded and holstered revolver, since they only require you to pull the trigger.

The laws vary, and local law enforcement may not interpret the law exactly the way you see it, so it's best to err on the side of caution. I just hate the way the opposition misrepresent guns laws to make disingenuous statements equating open carry or stand your ground to be a licence to kill. I read some story today stating that because of gun show "loopholes" in some states it would be legal for an 8-year-old to buy a shotgun. If we can't at least be honest when debating this shit then why even debate?

I'm wide open to reasonable discussion about the subject, what can be done to lower the number of firearms crimes committed in this country. And we have room for improvement, certainly. But the discussion cannot be had when we cannot even speak in the realm of factual information, as you point out.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Posing for a photo at home or in a place it's legal to shoot isn't even close to what's going on in the photo in the OP. And that idiot chick who did the stunt of taking a gun to college in your last photo is actually legally open carrying. I don't agree with what she did, but slung on your back and keeping your hands off of it is exactly how you legally open carry a long gun in a public place.
What about the photo of the family posing in the driveway in their neighborhood?

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
If we could all just learn to be more civil towards one another this and many other conversations wouldn't even be necessary. But Man is a very flawed beast.

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
Not relevant to this picture, legal now yet the right is "concerned" because black people are carrying them.

it kinda is relevent.
why support someone who obviously has diff views than you.

as for the weapons, meh. not practical to carry. but if it floats thier boat

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
What about the photo of the family posing in the driveway in their neighborhood?
That appears to be a fairly rural area, so I'd be they aren't breaking any laws. At my mother's 13-acre home in rural Missouri we used to step out the back door and shoot into a backstop. We had cows on three sides of us, so she said if a round left the property and hit a cow, be ready to write a check for it and hope you have room in the freezer.

Anyway, now you're just trying to find a technicality to make me wrong and ignoring the overall point I'm trying to make. What's going on in the OPs first photo is not legal open carry. What's going on in the second group of photos posted of white people is. And I'd call them out regardless of race if they were not. As I state I didn't agree with what the woman in the last photo was doing, even if it was legal.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
So any future AR discussions here do not include these rifles...got it...

I pointed out facts regarding her position on gun control and what is physically present in the picture provided, both in reply to statements that were demonstrably false.

This isn't complicated.

If you want to play word games and take up the "assault rifle semantics" challenge, have at it.

Reactions: nickqt

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
It is hilarious that kage wants to get all technical now when most liberals can't probably can't tell the difference between a shotgun and an assault rifle, much less semi-automatic firing versus full auto..

Yes, it's probably unreasonable for me to expect people to know wtf they're talking about when they get indignant about something. Those are basic generic names devoid of technical details entirely, hardly impressive. What's hilarious is I had to point this out to a pro-gun right wing blow hard.

Last edited:

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
that shotgun has a pistol grip, and if im not mistaken, would have been banned under the AWB. FYI.

Nope, perfectly true, just not a big deal as the AWB would still allow him a shotgun of the exact same caliber and shell capacity. The distinction of a grip there is obviously not one I agree with.

Not sure I ever heard her say she wanted to reinstate the AWB, but then that's something a Governor probably wouldn't have much say in. A state version would never happen.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
It's a huge risk when you carry a weapon, especially if you open carry and make it obvious to the world you have a gun.

I don't think I'll ever understand open carry in a non-hunting setting.

The desire to be feared/respected must be great if you're willing to draw a huge target on yourself like that. There is a natural worry of people looking for trouble with concealed carry, that woman in North Carolina harassing Latinas for instance. With open carry you get to add in 'trouble looking for you' to the list of things to worry about. Criminals don't usually advertise their intentions or capabilities, and by definition usually have the initiative in the crime. Open carry can let them know who to go after first.