Conservatives: Do you feel like you're losing the war?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 16, 1999
Amazingly enough conservatives say what we mean. Fiscally conservative means fiscally conservative. Unlike lefty Democrats that say "code words" when they mean they're going to lie about what someone else says. There's no such thing as a truly honest liberal Democrat.

516DRP0RVGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
What this country needs is fiscal conservative policies and socially liberal polices. If/when we ever get there it will be a good day.

Exactly, but neither party really stands for this. Both cater to the extremes of one side. Republicans to the fiscally conservative but also the extreme social conservatives. The Democrats are socially progressive but they will spend everything they can outside of the military.

A third party really needs to emerge that supports the need for fiscal conservatism and social progressiveness. But this country has become so polarly radicalized I don't think it's possible.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Exactly, but neither party really stands for this. Both cater to the extremes of one side. Republicans to the fiscally conservative but also the extreme social conservatives. The Democrats are socially progressive but they will spend everything they can outside of the military.

A third party really needs to emerge that supports the need for fiscal conservatism and social progressiveness. But this country has become so polarly radicalized I don't think it's possible.
Republicans aren't really fiscally conservative and your portrayal of Democrats is exaggerated.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Republicans aren't really fiscally conservative and your portrayal of Democrats is exaggerated.

Republicans are far more fiscally conservative then Democrats and most Democrats would spend taxpayers money like drunken sailors.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Republicans are far more fiscally conservative then Democrats and most Democrats would spend taxpayers money like drunken sailors.

Historically the deficit numbers don't look that way unless you guys don't consider Saint Ronnie as fiscally conservative any more.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
The word conservative means going against social change. So as long as there are any kind of social change there will be the conservatives going against the very same change. Of course as society grow, the old forces will eventually give out, most likely because as time pass what's novelty becomes common practice. It's inevitable.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
The word conservative means going against social change. So as long as there are any kind of social change there will be the conservatives going against the very same change. Of course as society grow, the old forces will eventually give out, most likely because as time pass what's novelty becomes common practice. It's inevitable.

Do you mean that this was actually just a trolling thread by an asshat? Not a serious discussion of conservatives and progressives?

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

Except that denies the last 30 years...

Fiscal conservative with 12 years in control of congress, 6 of which were with the president as well? Really? You are trying to make that claim? Starting trillion dollar occupations while cutting taxes..

Projection is the name of the game.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Except that denies the last 30 years...

Fiscal conservative with 12 years in control of congress, 6 of which were with the president as well? Really? You are trying to make that claim? Starting trillion dollar occupations while cutting taxes..

Projection is the name of the game.

You're avoiding my point.
Are Republicans more fiscally conservative then Democrats?
Do Democrats spend taxpayers money like drunken sailors?
(I apologize to drunken sailors that manage to keep their kennedys and their money in their pants.)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
How does a convservative win this so called war? Conservative thought by definition is a resistance to change.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
I think you mean, "like Republicans when they controlled both houses of Congress and the Presidency".

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
I think you mean, "like Republicans when they controlled both houses of Congress and the Presidency".

Amazingly enough I was pissed when they did it also. They also started a spending spree when they took the House in '94. They still weren't as bad as the Democrats though. I'd like to see them get even tougher next chance they get. I'm a Republican, (registered, usually vote that way) but it doesn't mean i'm in love with the jerks. It doesn't mean they don't screw the pooch on a regular basis and it doesn't mean I think they're always right. They suck, they just don't suck as bad as the Democrats.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Of course you would never say why I was wrong on my points. There's a reason. Try Craig 234. He echoed what I was saying.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=32995907&postcount=86

I have an ongoing thread with examples of Republicans pandering to the racists. I will continue to update as new material surfaces as I'm sure sadly it will.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2206513

? I wasn't saying you were wrong. I was referring to spidey who you had quoted.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Amazingly enough I was pissed when they did it also. They also started a spending spree when they took the House in '94. They still weren't as bad as the Democrats though. I'd like to see them get even tougher next chance they get. I'm a Republican, (registered, usually vote that way) but it doesn't mean i'm in love with the jerks. It doesn't mean they don't screw the pooch on a regular basis and it doesn't mean I think they're always right. They suck, they just don't suck as bad as the Democrats.
I actually thought the Pubbies did pretty good in '94. They cut the growth of government enough to balance the budget (at least if you count excess Social Security receipts), ignored Clinton's ever-expanding budgets, and generally exercised fiscal restraint. Unfortunately many of the same Pubbies were in power under Bush, when they went apeshit crazy. Just goes to show you that about six years in D.C. is enough to turn most conservatives into liberals - which is why we need term limits.

One quick two-step fix: First, EVERY member of Congress's liquid assets go into a blind trust like the President's upon taking office. No insider trading, no gaming the system by delisting EPA-protected property you forgot you owned. And no moonlighting with books or appearances; we own your asses, and if we can't moonlight, neither can you. Second, if there's nothing left over after your budget is passed, you don't get paid and you can't run for re-election. Sorry. Wanna spend a gazillion? You'll need to raise a gazillion plus Congress' collective salary.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
You're avoiding my point.
Are Republicans more fiscally conservative then Democrats?
Do Democrats spend taxpayers money like drunken sailors?
(I apologize to drunken sailors that manage to keep their kennedys and their money in their pants.)

The answer is:

1. No. See 2000-2006.

2. No more than republicans, except they don't mind actually paying for it, unlike republics..

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
The answer is:

1. No. See 2000-2006.

2. No more than republicans, except they don't mind actually paying for it, unlike republics..

In 2006 the deficit was about 250 billion, what does the Oblama budget say ? Is that over 900 Billion dollars? That damn Republican Oblama is spending money like he knows how to print it.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
In 2006 the deficit was about 250 billion, what does the Oblama budget say ? Is that over 900 Billion dollars? That damn Republican Oblama is spending money like he knows how to print it.

did you know that bush intentionally kept the wars out of the budget?

did you know that obama put them in the budget because he wanted the american people to see the cost of the wars?

did you know that the government needed to spend money via stimulus to get us out of that clusterfuck we were in?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
did you know that bush intentionally kept the wars out of the budget?

did you know that obama put them in the budget because he wanted the american people to see the cost of the wars?

did you know that the government needed to spend money via stimulus to get us out of that clusterfuck we were in?

I'd really have to see links about 1 and 2. I'll disagree about 3.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
I'd really have to see links about 1 and 2. I'll disagree about 3.

You seriously didn't know the wars were kept out of the budget? Seriously?

And are you seriously comparing the terrible republican destroyed via deregulation economy inherited by Obama?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You seriously didn't know the wars were kept out of the budget? Seriously?

And are you seriously comparing the terrible republican destroyed via deregulation economy inherited by Obama?
Yes, he seriously refuses to believe that the GOP is a joke. :(

Last edited: