Conservatives Are Trying To Claim Pete Buttigieg Isn't Actually A Christian

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Trump is the golden calf in this parable of a Presidency. I predict conservatives will suffer for their idol worship of Trump.

Reactions: tweaker2

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Mixing politics and religion is like mixing up a batch of nitroglycerine while speeding down a stony riverbed on a toboggan.

Some shit's bound to happen. And if not then, well there's a thousand foot drop waterfall around the bend.

Seems like the Constitution wasn't explicit enough in its wording and intent.

Reactions: Mean MrMustard
Feb 4, 2009
Mixing politics and religion is like mixing up a batch of nitroglycerine while speeding down a stony riverbed on a toboggan.

Some shit's bound to happen. And if not then, well there's a thousand foot drop waterfall around the bend.

sort of like the right to bear arms?

b62e1bc332bbdca914edb958d9bf5528.jpg

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

I heard an account of the war of 1812 recently. One side-point that made me laugh was when they mentioned the disagreements that broke out over whether the militia could be used to invade Canada.

Apparently the constitution said they couldn't be sent 'overseas'. Cue heated debate as to whether Canada counted as 'overseas'.

Honestly, they really ought to have been more careful with their prose style when they wrote that thing.

Nov 29, 2006
Most Christian conservatives have no idea what it means to be a real Christian. They are so out of touch with what Jesus preached. I bet Pete is more Jesus like that any republican conservative.

Hell, me as an atheist is more Jesus like than most Christians i know.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Evangelicals weren't going to vote Democrat anyway. The political questions are how Pete and their exchanges will mobilize turnout at the polls, not who anyone is inclined to vote for.

Mar 11, 2004
Most Christian conservatives have no idea what it means to be a real Christian. They are so out of touch with what Jesus preached. I bet Pete is more Jesus like that any republican conservative.

Hell, me as an atheist is more Jesus like than most Christians i know.

Why do you think so many of them are desperate for some new age bullshit version of Christianity (like Mormonism) where Jesus was actually an American or something, and like he's super cool with whatever crazy nonsense they want. And Turmp is pretty much the spitting image of Jesus, only Turmp might be more persecuted!

Nov 8, 2012
To be honest his claim to Christianity isn't something I care about. If anything I lose some of my respect for him over that, I simply don't give two shits of which flying spaghetti monster you believe in. What I care moreso about - is that you shut the fuck up and don't make it a determining factor in your politics.

Stryke1983

Jan 1, 2016
To be honest his claim to Christianity isn't something I care about. If anything I lose some of my respect for him over that, I simply don't give two shits of which flying spaghetti monster you believe in. What I care moreso about - is that you shut the fuck up and don't make it a determining factor in your politics.
Unfortunately, there is a big chunk of the electorate where that nonsense determines who they vote for, even though you'd struggle to find a senator or congressman that actually lives their life according to what their stated religion actually dictates. You start adding the metaphorical weight of a god behind your actions and you are going to get support from one of the most dependable voting groups.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Nov 8, 2012
Unfortunately, there is a big chunk of the electorate where that nonsense determines who they vote for, even though you'd struggle to find a senator or congressman that actually lives their life according to what their stated religion actually dictates. You start adding the metaphorical weight of a god behind your actions and you are going to get support from one of the most dependable voting groups.

I guess... I mean, maybe he is just playing strategy: I'm still a christian, I'm just a constant sinner because I'm gay narrative.

Honestly I just have a hard time thinking his strategy will get the "christian" folks to vote for him... you know... even though they are supposed to forgive him for his "sins".

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I wonder about that sometimes. I mean evangelicals voted overwhelmingly for Trump despite him being the most obviously immoral/non-Christian candidate... ever? It seems they threw that requirement right out the window as soon as it conflicted with them voting for Republicans.

Feb 4, 2009
I guess... I mean, maybe he is just playing strategy: I'm still a christian, I'm just a constant sinner because I'm gay narrative.

Honestly I just have a hard time thinking his strategy will get the "christian" folks to vote for him... you know... even though they are supposed to forgive him for his "sins".

I think that depends on the person. The Church I found about 7 years ago has a gay pastor, no question about him being gay either.
He fits the congregation well, Prodestant Congragational Church so

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
I wonder about that sometimes. I mean evangelicals voted overwhelmingly for Trump despite him being the most obviously immoral/non-Christian candidate... ever? It seems they threw that requirement right out the window as soon as it conflicted with them voting for Republicans.
But Trump said the right words. Republicans certainly don't care about a persons actions, but the individual must at least pay lip service to hard right Christians, which Trump has been more than willing to do.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

The "christian" folks didn't seem to have a hard time voting for Trump despite his constant sins of adultery.
But I suspect that forgiveness was politically, rather than religiously, motivated.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The "christian" folks didn't seem to have a hard time voting for Trump despite his constant sins of adultery.
But I suspect that forgiveness was politically, rather than religiously, motivated.

Reversing Roe has been the great Evangelical crusade for 40 years. It blinds them to all other considerations. With Trump, they made a deal with the Devil to have it. With the appointments of Gorsuch & Kavanaugh their loyalty is unquestionable. They sold out to corruption & greed.

Reactions: Majes

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
You know, I really like Buttigieg and what he stands for, but I think it was stupid to go after Pence for his faith. Everyone knows Pence is a hypocrite. That attack was pointless. Pete almost invited the counterpunch...

I think the point was to both get a conversation going about how devout Pete is, while bringing contrast to the moral rot pence and the xian right covers for on a daily basis.

Pretty smart wedge issue IMO. He doesn't need to win them all, just peel a few a way, perhaps sow doubt and cast shame for some others.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008

A lot of the electorate can only understand or concern themselves with a few issues at a time. For the Evangelicals and a lot of other Christians the issues were...
1. The economy
2. Immigration/border control
3. Guns
4. Abortion

Convinced that both candidates were criminal scum the electorate merely went down their checklist. Trump lined up nicely with their priorities.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
A lot of the electorate can only understand or concern themselves with a few issues at a time. For the Evangelicals and a lot of other Christians the issues were...
1. The economy
2. Immigration/border control
3. Guns
4. Abortion

Convinced that both candidates were criminal scum the electorate merely went down their checklist. Trump lined up nicely with their priorities.

Oh, please. Evangelical leaders sold Trump to their flocks on the basis that he'd appoint pro-life judges. Never mind that they'd be tossing aside their so-called values in doing so. Trump is easily the most immoral person to be President in the modern age but they don't care.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

I believe you just admitted those "christian folk" are anything but

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Buttigieg? He's gay. Republican Jesus says to stone him, because it's in the bible. The ancient Israelites knew how to deal with perverts & degenerates.

Besides that, he's a Democrat, the worst kind of degenerate.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Buttigieg? He's gay. Republican Jesus says to stone him, because it's in the bible. The ancient Israelites knew how to deal with perverts & degenerates.

Besides that, he's a Democrat, the worst kind of degenerate.
We all know Republicans like their sins child molester like. At least they do in Alabama

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Oh, please. Evangelical leaders sold Trump to their flocks on the basis that he'd appoint pro-life judges. Never mind that they'd be tossing aside their so-called values in doing so. Trump is easily the most immoral person to be President in the modern age but they don't care.

Sorry I didn't elaborate, but I meant for this to be included with #4.