Conservative SCOTUS will overturn “Obergefell” and undo gay marriage

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Okay. I'm just really surprised that any qualified jurist would be considered unacceptable on the basis of their religion. No justice is impartial, but I expect then to try to be so as is humanly possible.

I believe the issue is that people have serious doubts that some justices and/or nominees can separate their own personal religious views from matters of the State. We're in this weird political state where there usually isn't a middle-ground, so it's hard to consider someone actually being apolitical. It also doesn't help that the President and/or his party has routinely suggested using the court to remove established doctrine (e.g. Roe v. Wade), which makes any nomination a bit more suspicious.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I see that, with all the "Trump is the chosen one' garbage. There are those in the Evangelical on some unaffiliated churches that want to put Christian values above all other considerations. One just needs to read the constitution to realize that this is the wrong country for that kind of view.

I agree. Freedom from religion and freedom of religion can exist side by side

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Mar 11, 2004
Uhm, Citizens United?!

Um, did you notice I said the federal court system as a whole and not just the SCOTUS?

And yes the SCOTUS has been problematic in that regard (not just recently either, look at their mindbogglingly fucked up ruling on the Exxon Valdez that despite them trying to weasel out of repercussions for how stupid it was, did set precedent).

Reactions: DarthKyrie and Ajay

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
The way to do it would be for a state to pass a new law banning gay marriage and then have it struck down by the courts.

That being said, I doubt SCOTUS would try this - gay marriage is exceedingly popular now and they would just undermine their own legitimacy.

I'm sure someone will remind them that their only purpose is to strike down regulations and increase the power of corporations. Conservative elite don't actually want to win on these wedge social issues, because they're perfect tools to get people to vote against their interests.