Conservative Hypocracy about Entitlements

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
California drought or no drought, Steve Yuhas resents the idea that it is somehow shameful to be a water hog. If you can pay for it, he argues, you should get your water.

People “should not be forced to live on property with brown lawns, golf on brown courses or apologize for wanting their gardens to be beautiful,” Yuhas fumed recently on social media. “We pay significant property taxes based on where we live,” he added in an interview. “And, no, we’re not all equal when it comes to water.”

Yuhas lives in the ultra-wealthy enclave of Rancho Santa Fe, a bucolic Southern California hamlet of ranches, gated communities and country clubs that guzzles five times more water per capita than the statewide average.

Yuhas, who hosts a conservative talk-radio show, abhors the culture of “drought-shaming” that has developed here since the drought began four years ago, especially the aerial shots of lavish lawns targeted for derision on the local TV news.

“I’m a conservative, so this is strange, but I defend Barbra Streisand’s right to have a green lawn,”
said Yuhas, in April, after Gov. Jerry Brown (D) called for a 25 percent reduction in water use, consumption in Rancho Santa Fe went up by 9 percent.

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...hpModule_9d3add6c-8a79-11e2-98d9-3012c1cd8d1e

Oy vey! The rich sure feel entitled to more water for a green lawn over everyone else. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
comment deleted

Umm a Republicans job in Californistan is to basically lose over and over again. Thats bound to make someone crazy having to be the 1 in 50 Republicans out that way.

Liberals are the ones who built million dollar mansions with swimming pools in an area that has had historical droughts in the past so there is that for liberal logic.

That would be classic liberal short term thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Umm a Republicans job in Californistan is to basically lose over and over again. Thats bound to make someone crazy having to be the 1 in 50 Republicans out that way.

Liberals are the ones who built million dollar mansions with swimming pools in an area that has had historical droughts in the past so there is that for liberal logic.

That would be classic liberal short term thinking.

Ah, all rich people in california are now liberals? Still stuck on stupid I see.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
california has a water problem?

well in a couple years water is going to have a california problem.

:biggrin:

im referring to the oceans rising.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_California

Its overwhelmingly democrats.

Maybe you like the liberals because you can ride on their coattails and just chime in when it suits you so you can feel smart.

Guess further research is beyond you. Let me help.....

Rancho Santa Fe is a stronghold of the Republican Party in San Diego County.

In the California State Legislature, Rancho Santa Fe is in the 38th Senate District, represented by Republican Joel Anderson, and in the 77th Assembly District, represented by Republican Brian Maienschein.

In the United States House of Representatives, Rancho Santa Fe is located in California's 49th congressional district, which has a Cook PVI of R +4 and is represented by Republican Darrell Issa.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancho_Santa_Fe,_California

See, that wasn't so hard, was it? Or maybe it was.......... :rolleyes:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Every once in awhile, a rich person comes out clean and declares it is their god-given right to expect more and get more than a poor person could because they have more money, even if it's something that everyone has the right to expect an proportionally equitable share of, like water from a municipal tap and electricity from the grid.

With that in mind, I'd like to see these self-aggrandizing folks get shipwrecked and while floating around in their lifeboat with the other survivors, declare that he/she deserves to have more biscuits and water than everyone else because they are from a higher class of society than anyone else in the boat.

Yeh, that should go over pretty well.......

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
One moron thinks he has a right to a green lawn and that proves....

what exactly does it prove? Title says something about entitlements but I'm not finding any talk of those.

or is this yet another thread the OP isn't able to understand? Like the Asian women thread he started?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Every once in awhile, a rich person comes out clean and declares it is their god-given right to expect more and get more than a poor person could because they have more money, even if it's something that everyone has the right to expect an proportionally equitable share of, like water from a municipal tap and electricity from the grid.

Sounds like it's a problem with the pricing of water rather than a problem with the rich. Allow every customer to use/purchase a certain quantity of water at baseline prices and then have the price scale as you use more of it. At some quantity you could even have the costs for additional marginal quantities of water exceed the market clearing price and use the extra funds to buy water from other states or whatever.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
How is that hypocrisy?

OP has made something like 5 threads now where he totally didn't understand what he was linking to.

I guess the prospect of another Bush is bringing all the morons out of the woodwork.

Feb 4, 2009
I don't know if this would be successful in CA but how about digging your own well to water your golf course or yard? I know it can be done in the Northeast.

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
I've never understood the need to have a green watered lawn. Its brown and dead so what. If everyone's lawn is brown in the summer then nobody has an uglier lawn. Its simply consmetic. It doesn't make your life better. It doesn't do anything of importance.

First world entitlement problems.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
One moron thinks he has a right to a green lawn and that proves....

what exactly does it prove? Title says something about entitlements but I'm not finding any talk of those.

or is this yet another thread the OP isn't able to understand? Like the Asian women thread he started?

I'm going to take a shot in the dark on this one, but perhaps this whole "entitlement" thing has to do with the fact that these people think that money entitles them to a public resource regardless of the consequences to those around them. Just as might does not make right, wealth does not make right either. Clean water is the most basic necessity for life as we know it. Where is the civic solidarity?

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I don't know if this would be successful in CA but how about digging your own well to water your golf course or yard? I know it can be done in the Northeast.

They've been doing that for years, IIRC. Aquifer depletion and ground subsidence are beginning to rear their ugly heads as major related problems too. Once that water is pumped out of the ground, that does not mean that it will be replenished on a human timescale. I live in the southeast, where water is abundant. Well water is great for that purpose, but we tend to take for granted that it is much more readily replenished where we live than in CA. It is a temporary fix for them, not a permanent solution.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I'm going to take a shot in the dark on this one, but perhaps this whole "entitlement" thing has to do with the fact that these people think that money entitles them to a public resource regardless of the consequences to those around them. Just as might does not make right, wealth does not make right either. Clean water is the most basic necessity for life as we know it. Where is the civic solidarity?

that's what I thought but he specifically used "Entitlements" and not entitlements.

Water is a right not an Entitlement.

Either way, I don't have a dog in this fight. I live in the land where water flows free and plentiful. A lang where I can double flush without feeling shame. A wonderful land.

Feb 4, 2009
that's what I thought but he specifically used "Entitlements" and not entitlements.

Water is a right not an Entitlement.

Either way, I don't have a dog in this fight. I live in the land where water flows free and plentiful. A lang where I can double flush without feeling shame. A wonderful land.

Don't ever get a low flow crapper. You'll double and triple flush for everything.
Why don't water conserving toilet's use the old principle of a higher water tank?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Don't ever get a low flow crapper. You'll double and triple flush for everything.
Why don't water conserving toilet's use the old principle of a higher water tank?

true. low flow crappers are a waste. We have one and it sucks. 3 flush's? waste of water to get a little turd down.

When i shit i go to the other one. It's powerful enough it takes one flush. no matter the size of the turd!

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Where is the competence of public utilities? I suppose we were under the mistaken impression that we were buying something with our tax dollars.