Conroes degrading on higher vcores

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: nealh
how are you able to check load vcores in the bios?

i am not....I am setting in bios....recording vcore using asus probe and gigabyte's easy tune....anytime I keep the vcore set below 1.4v on those boards cpu_Z does work and matches the motherboard monitored voltages....

Gary Key

Sep 23, 2005
I have been using a fairly crappy week 27 E6600 since mid-July in our test beds, probably on a 6x24 basis at 1.475V to 1.525V on air during our stress tests on the boards, this is what it is still capable of doing as of this week - E6600 - on 1.5V.

I do not believe there is an (widespread or potential) issue but like all electrical/mechanical devices, at times you will end up with one that breaks for no apparent reason. We had a 3800+ X2 that failed within five minutes of using it at completely stock settings, sometimes you end up a lemon. That said, I would not run the C2D higher than 1.5V (or load temps above 60C) on a 24/7 schedule after listening to a couple of Intel engineers speak about overclocking a few weeks ago. Just my opinion.... :)

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Gary Key
I have been using a fairly crappy week 27 E6600 since mid-July in our test beds, probably on a 6x24 basis at 1.475V to 1.525V on air during our stress tests on the boards, this is what it is still capable of doing as of this week - E6600 - on 1.5V.

Ooohh..a 680 SLI DQ6 board? Are those out in retail yet??

nealh

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 1999
Originally posted by: Gary Key

I do not believe there is an (widespread or potential) issue but like all electrical/mechanical devices, at times you will end up with one that breaks for no apparent reason. We had a 3800+ X2 that failed within five minutes of using it at completely stock settings, sometimes you end up a lemon. That said, I would not run the C2D higher than 1.5V (or load temps above 60C) on a 24/7 schedule after listening to a couple of Intel engineers speak about overclocking a few weeks ago. Just my opinion.... :)

How could Intel engineers even suggest this(60C load or higher)...I would bet many stock retail HSF easily hit this with gaming systems....from what I see people hitting with there cpus under for 100% is 70-80s plus in many cases

At stock vcore on my crappy e6600 and stock speeds...it would hit 50s underwater

@1.4625 bios set on RD600 my max load temp (which oddly to me is with small fft) is 60-61

I agree reading the intel papers it looks like 1.55v is not acceptable for any term use and I am guessing 1.5v+ is a no-no

BTW Gary can you let us know what they said about overclocking..any specs on what they felt was a reasonable safe vcore for moderate longterm use(again I do not care so much about killing the cpu but rather want to know what they think will keep the cpu within their defined "functional operational limits"..see below

http://developer.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/313278.htm

2.6.1 Absolute Maximum and Minimum Ratings

Table 4 specifies absolute maximum and minimum ratings only and lie outside the functional limits of the processor. Within functional operation limits, functionality and long-term reliability can be expected.
At conditions outside functional operation condition limits, but within absolute maximum and minimum ratings, neither functionality nor long-term reliability can be expected. If a device is returned to conditions within functional operation limits after having been subjected to conditions outside these limits, but within the absolute maximum and minimum ratings, the device may be functional, but with its lifetime degraded depending on exposure to conditions exceeding the functional operation condition limits.
At conditions exceeding absolute maximum and minimum ratings, neither functionality nor long-term reliability can be expected. Moreover, if a device is subjected to these conditions for any length of time then, when returned to conditions within the functional operating condition limits, it will either not function, or its reliability will be severely degraded.
Although the processor contains protective circuitry to resist damage from static electric discharge, precautions should always be taken to avoid high static voltages or electric fields.

Table 4. Absolute Maximum and Minimum Ratings
VCC (Core voltage with respect to VSS) ?0.3V / 1.55V (Min/Max)
VTT (FSB termination voltage with respect to VSS) ?0.3V / 1.55V (Min/Max)

Notes:
For functional operation, all processor electrical, signal quality, mechanical and thermal specifications must be satisfied.
Excessive overshoot or undershoot on any signal will likely result in permanent damage to the processor.