Conroe-L Single Core Cpu's starting at $40 (OEM) + s&h

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
I just saw this at Newegg.com and thought some may be considering a P4 Celeron for a build and thought this would be a better alternative for some. They are single core but they are at least based on the conroe core. They could very well be a good ocer too. Unfortunately Newegg is charging a $5 shipping charge. eWiz has a OEM version of the lowest grade.

These are 512KB L2 Cache cpu's just like the newer 65nm P4 Celerons, except its based on the Core arch.

If you can't deal with single-core, then these cpu's are not for you. :)

eWiz.com: Intel Celeron 420 Conroe-L 1.6GHz (OEM) - $40 + shipping

Newegg.com: Intel Celeron 420 Conroe-L 1.6GHz - $49 + shipping

Newegg.com: Intel Celeron 430 Conroe-L 1.8GHz - $56 + shipping

Newegg.com: Intel Celeron 440 Conroe-L 2.0GHz - $65 + shipping

Hopefully this is considered a decent deal :)

Jason

QuixoticOne

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
Nice to know; good deal for a single core.

I'm tempted just to have something to burn in test my new MB & RAM with
until I can get the multi-core CPU I want for it long term in August.

Wonder what an "almost new slightly used" OEM CPU would sell for. haha.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: formulav8
If you can't deal with single-core, then these cpu's are not for you. :)

[grabs a drink, kicks back to wait for the "OMG single core is SOOOOO dead" replies]

This would be tempting to get one to play with, just for some crazy overclocking suicide runs. Hmmm, maybe I should visit XtremeSystems to see what they're getting on these...

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
for most games they seem to be pretty fast still since most games are not too multithreaded except a few (i.e. supreme commander). there was a benchmark of this on xbitlabs.

deeznuts

Sep 19, 2001
For budget machines this would be great. And for most games yes they are still single threaded. But I believe multi-threaded games are on the very near horizon.

corkypa

Oct 26, 2004
It appears that this is fairly low power, with all of them having a thermal design power of 35W (Page with the processors). Good for your HTPC or other quiet machine. In contrast, a Core 2 Duo has a thermal design power of 65W. Almost makes me wish I hadn't paid 50% more for some Turions a while ago, but those are only 25W.

asuka10456

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I would say these are good for a budget pc but i think these only preform better than single core a64 cpu's when they are overclocked. The cheapest oc board is at least $100...... anybody got a link to some benchmarks for these cpu's?

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: asuka10456
I would say these are good for a budget pc but i think these only preform better than single core a64 cpu's when they are overclocked. The cheapest oc board is at least $100...... anybody got a link to some benchmarks for these cpu's?

That's the problem right there for decent budget builds by Intel: you have to settle for non-Nvidia or non-Intel chipsets to get something under 90 dollars. I just thought I was going to finally get my hands on a Core 2 Duo (for a relative's build, not mine :p ) but the cost of the mobos were prohibitive.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: spittledip
Originally posted by: asuka10456

That's the problem right there for decent budget builds by Intel: you have to settle for non-Nvidia or non-Intel chipsets to get something under 90 dollars. I just thought I was going to finally get my hands on a Core 2 Duo (for a relative's build, not mine :p ) but the cost of the mobos were prohibitive.

not necessarily.

945g or 946gz based boards are in the $60 or less range very often. 945gz boarsds can be found for $45.

the 945g and 946gz are just as fast as the g965 and they even use less power.