CONNECTIONS are the coolest

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hey all,

We have a bit of a family reunion (not the "get some t-shirts printed up, go to a park, eat watermelon" type, but rather the "Everyone fly in from all over the country and see each other for only the second time ever in your lives" kind, with all really cool, young family members. It's in St. Pete, FL, at my parents' place, and it's right at the time of the next shuttle launch. Well, you can see the shuttle launch from anywhere in FL, and youc an certainly see it really well from the highway in the Cape, but there is a special place where you have to have passes to go. They are expensive, and they have been sold out for months. Well, it just so happens that my uncle's father-in-law is a representative or senator or something from AZ, and my uncle told him about the reuinion, and how we all wanted to go watch the shuttle launch. So, he said "Give me some names and addresses, and I'll see what I can do." --And yesterday, each of the families got a shuttle launch pass in the mail from NASA! HOW COOL IS THAT? This will be my second shuttle launch in two years. I'm psyched. This one is gonna be CLOSE, too. :)
I've never had a congressman pull strings for me before. Good stuff.

Ricky
DesignDawg

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
We had a Congressman get us a flag that flew for a few seconds over the House side of the Capital once. Got tickets to the Holocaust Museum another time. Got a reccomendation for the Air Force Academy from a Senator.

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Matt's # of connections: 0
Closest "connection": Brother-in-law's brother-in-law works for Sony.

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I didn't have any idea I had this connection either. I figured we'd all be going to watch the shuttle from the highway like everyone else does (thousands of people park along the roadside down there. Pretty spectacular. Then, in a big group email, my grandmother mentioned my uncle working hard to get us all passes, and sure enough, 2 days later, they came. Awesome.

I had a personal connection with Mike Moore, Atty. General of MS, once. --But I didn't stay in touch.

Ricky
DesignDawg

snakesnfrogs

Banned
Mar 1, 2001
Damn, you're lucky. You gotta get some pictures and post 'em. We're going to Cape Canaveral around Labor Day, and I was hoping to get to see a launch of some kind, but unfortunately NASA has nothing planned.

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I can probably handle pictures. Maybe even video. Digital. Should have a pretty nice DV camera to take with me by that time.

Ricky
DesignDawg

snakesnfrogs

Banned
Mar 1, 2001
crab453----get one of those jets, stop off in Memphis and pick me up, and get me to Florida for the next shuttle launch;)

Vincent

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've always wanted to watch the space shuttle touch down at Edwards Air Force Base, but I've never gotten around to figuring out the schedule.