connecting to tv

cheapgoose

Diamond Member
May 13, 2002
hey everyone, I'm thinking about building a htpc and had a few questions.

so how do you guys hook up your tvs to the computer? I've only used rca, and the picture quality kinda suck.

I've browsed some guides and tutrials and I learned that you can use dvi or vga for tv connection, but no one has explained exactly how that's done.

can someone here help? the htpc will be connect to my tv and a kvm. i have a video card with dvi, vga, and s-video out. I'm also buying a new mobo, so I can get one with dual vga output if needed.

thanks in advance.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
The key component is your TV, what modes it supports and what connectivety it supports. What kind of inputs does your TV have?

AVSforum has a good HTPC forum (and more).

cheapgoose

Diamond Member
May 13, 2002
thanks for the quick reply. as far as i know, my tv only takes rca and s-video.

and thanks for the link, I'm gonna check it out.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
If it supports s-video, that will be your best option, and its definately better than rca (composite) but don't expect miracles. VGA, DVI, RGB and other high bandwidth connections are only an option if your display has high bandwidth connections, so no go for you.

I used s-video in the past with my AIW card, and it was pretty good for video and even some gaming (if they don't require text) pretty poor for about everything else. Since you have your display and video card already, you need simply to get an s-video cable (don't have to spend a bunch of money here) and hook it up and see. What video card are you going to be using?

cheapgoose

Diamond Member
May 13, 2002
i'm currently using an ati 9000pro I just got a Gainward Ultra 650TV from the fs fourm, I think it's like a Ti4200 64mb. thanks for the help. I guess there's not much i can do considering the limitation is with the tv.

thanks again for the info.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
If you are going to use the Gainward card, maybe try TVTool to configure the output. There is a demo download available so you can try it out first.