Connecting EXP GDC adapter to a desktop computer

Kayote

Dec 4, 2004
I have a HP 8200 PC, to which I want to connect the GDC adapter & run a few games every now and then.

The GDC I have has a PCI-E connector.

And here is the screenshot of the motherboard of the HP 8200 mini PC. I cannot locate any PCI-E slots, however, I have the big PCI-16x slot empty, can I use that for connecting the PCI-E connector. How can I connect the PCI-E connector to this motherboard?

To clarify, the reason I was to use the GDC EXP adapter to connect the graphic card to the motherboard is because this mini pc doesn't have the space to hold the graphic card. Rather than get a new pc, I want to use GDC EXP for connecting the graphic card to this motherboard.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I'm not sure I understand. The picture you show has I believe a mini pci-e or m.2 connector, but you say you've purchased the one with a regular pci-e connector. You then say you cannot locate any pci-e slots and show a picture of a motherboard with 3 including a 1x slot.

If you indeed have the pci-e end connection type then yes, you can install that in a 16x slot even though it won't populate the entire length.

Its hard to tell from the picture but I assume you can't install a video card because the case is low profile? If so, I'd suggest finding a low profile card rather than doing the external GPU thing. The 1x pci-e connection will pretty significantly limit the performance of any card installed in the external adapter.

Kayote

Dec 4, 2004
I'm not sure I understand. The picture you show has I believe a mini pci-e or m.2 connector, but you say you've purchased the one with a regular pci-e connector. You then say you cannot locate any pci-e slots and show a picture of a motherboard with 3 including a 1x slot.

If you indeed have the pci-e end connection type then yes, you can install that in a 16x slot even though it won't populate the entire length.

Its hard to tell from the picture but I assume you can't install a video card because the case is low profile? If so, I'd suggest finding a low profile card rather than doing the external GPU thing. The 1x pci-e connection will pretty significantly limit the performance of any card installed in the external adapter.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question. I am aware that the performance will take a hit however, its the best alternative I could think of. I will try the connection with the pcie16. Best,