Connecting case fans to pwr_fan connector

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by StriperMike, Jan 20, 2011.

1. StriperMike

StriperMike Member

I am in the process of building my new PC and have a question regarding connecting my case fans to my motherboard. My case currently has 3 fans (HAF 922). My mobo (Asus P8P67 Pro) has only 2 cha_fan connections. I connected 2 of my case fans to the cha_fan connectors but now am left with one disconnected fan.

The mobo does have a pwr_fan connector that is not being used since my PSU does not provide a connector for that.

My question is can I connect my 3rd case fan to the pwr_fan connector? I'd like to be able to connect all three fans to the motherboard if possible without using a PSU molex. This way I can avoid additional cable clutter, having the fan speed constantly be at 100% and hopefully control fan speed thru the UEFI/Windows.

Thanks!
    Mike

#1 StriperMike, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Connecting case fans Forum Date
    case fan connection on motherboard Motherboards Dec 11, 2010
    connecting case power to motherboard Motherboards Jan 9, 2009
    Need help connecting case to mobo Motherboards Dec 29, 2008
    DS3 rev 3.3 question - Where to connect case fan Motherboards May 7, 2007
    HELP! How to connect case fan to Asus P4P800 Deluxe motherboard? Motherboards Jun 26, 2003

3. Rhonen

Rhonen Junior Member

There should be a 3rd fan connector on the P8P67 Pro labeled pwr_fan, top right corner of the board above the EPU switch. I used that one and it worked fine.

4. StriperMike

StriperMike Member

Do you know if you are able to control the fan speed when connected to the pwr_fan connector through UEFI or a Windows based solution? Does the pwr_fan operate the same way the cha_fan connectors?

5. Rhonen

Rhonen Junior Member

Oh, that, I don't know, I just put it together last night, so I haven't even taken a good look through the UEFI yet.

edit: I did took a quick look at the manual (dowloaded pdf from website), and it mentions the included asus utility software has a cpu and chassis fan controls, still don't know if that includes any fans connected to pwr_fan.

#4 Rhonen, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  6. Accord99

Accord99 Platinum Member

On my P8P67 Deluxe, the PWR fan connectors can't be controlled by Asus Q-Fan or the Fan XPert utility. Only the two CHA fan connectors work with 3-pin fans, while the CPU fan connector requires a PWM fan for control.