Connecting a new MSI 7970 to Eyefinity?

bamaaviator

Apr 14, 2008
I have a 5870 that I currently use Eyefinity with. All 3 monitors plug into the back of the video card and there is no issue.

I just recieved the new MSI 7970 card, but the connections in the back are different. There is one place to run the active display port, and then 2 tiny outlets on the back of the card. What adaptor do I need to buy to be able to plug in my monitors to this card.

Really wish they included all connections in the box. I would expect nothing less for $600 cards.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
I'm going to guess your 5870 used: DVI, DVI, displayport

There is not a displayport on the 7970 because it has 2 mini displayports, but yours should have come with an adapter to convert one of the mini dp to a regular dp. That takes care of one connection.

For the next connection, you should be able to use the one DVI port on the 7970.

Now for the 3rd - I'd suggest using the HDMI port. Do you have an HDMI cable to go directly between your monitor and the 7970? If not, you can get a cheap HDMI-DVI converter if your monitor doesn't have DVI input.

But do your monitors have any options for different input types/cables?

bamaaviator

Apr 14, 2008
My monitors can connect via HDMI and DVI.

I can get 2 monitors to work, but not the 3rd.

One monitor connects just straight DVI to DVI , I have 2 adaptors that basically allow me to go DVI > display port > mini port and that works.

I connected the 3rd monitor via HDMI to HDMI, but that doesnt work. It will show up under CCC, but I cant get the monitor to be recognized.

Thanks for any assistance.

Edit...

I have this working on the middle monitor. When I try to plug in the one on the right side via HDMI / HDMI, it actually shuts off this display and doesnt show a display on its screen either. When I unplug the HDMI cable, then I can see this screen Im working on again.

I found a DVI to HDMI cable and tried that with the monitor and that works....with the exception that that monitor now has a 1inch black border surrounding everything. Ive got all 3 monitors on now, but the DVI to HDMI one for some reason has borders around it. Anyone know how to get rid of that? Thanks once again

Last edited:

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
One troubleshooting tip: unplug all monitors from the video card, except the one you are trying to get to work. Reboot the computer. Then, see if it works correctly all by itself.

In this case, unplug all monitors except the HDMI monitor. Then reboot and go into settings and get it to work correctly all by itself. Then, plug in the other two monitors to the video card, one monitor at a time. Should work that way.