Connecting a 3rd Gen iPod Nano to a Win7/64bit machine - Issues...

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
In the past I had no problem with connection to the same setup computer wise, but now the computer will not identify the iPod as any type of external drive, etc. iTunes does not see it either. When I am in Device Manager all I see is an "unknown device".

Running up-to-date OS along with newest version of iTunes. I have followed numerous guides that have showed up on numerous google searches (for something that should be so simple) to no avail. Have the correct drivers in the correct Apple dirs. Have tried different "known to work" cables so that has been ruled out. Have verified the necessary services that the google searches suggested. Plugging into a "known to work" USB port which the same setup has no problem connecting/syncing with an iPad 2.

Anybody else having this issue? I have no reason to upgrade the iPod as it is large enough for enough musical diversity for a decent amount of time and still has good battery life for my needs.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Haven't had time to get to this lately, but tonight I just connected it up and it was recognized just like in the past :oops: :\

Weird.......

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
I wonder if a software update had introduced a problem and another more recent update fixed it? You might look at your updates and when they were applied to see if there was a correlation between when it started happening and when it worked again.

Of course, it could be that iTunes is just awful. :)

-KeithP

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
Updates were done in between it working and not working, but just me keeping my Win7 machine up-to-date, so maybe something in there. What was weird was when I connected it to the computer, the notification in the lower right corner, the Icon was the same as before, just this time it somehow mysteriously found the driver where before it couldn't find anything, and I let it look on the internet for drivers. Stranger things have happened and I expect this to happen again based on past experiences.