Connecticut State Trooper pleads guilty to stealing from dead crash victim!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
What is unbelievable about this, is the fact he was recorded on his own dashcam stealing from the deceased victim, which is what initially incriminated him for theft, when the family complained. Then when he was confronted and denied stealing, the money and chain was found in his car. Well DOH!

Some cops get so used to confiscating money they find when they pull over and search people who can't immediately prove how they got it and have to go to court to get it back later, that they end up thinking it's perfectly OK to steal found money and jewelery off a dead body at a crash scene.

And this guy was a trooper for 18 years. He was certainly no wet behind the ears flat foot who didn't know better. Which makes one wonder what else he probably stole in his career and got away with.

A Connecticut state trooper has pleaded guilty to stealing jewelery and $3,700 from the body of a motorcyclist who died at the scene of a crash after it was caught on his dashboard camera.

Aaron Huntsman, 45, entered an Alford plea for third-degree larceny and tampering with evidence - meaning he does not admit to the charges but accepts he would likely be found guilty at a trial.
The trooper, who had been with the department for 18 years at the time of the crime in 2012, will spend more than a year in prison, the Connecticut Post reported.

He allegedly stole a gold chain, valued at $5,500, and a roll of cash from 49-year-old John Scalesse's body when he was killed after he crashed into a truck on Route 15 in Fairfield on September 22, 2012.
Huntsman was the first trooper to the scene and his dashboard camera filmed him walking over to the body, picking up the chain from a pool of blood and taking out the cash from Scalesse's pocket.
He later told the victim's family that he had not seen any money on him.

An investigation was launched after the deceased man's relatives expressed concerns about missing items and the police log failed to show the jewelry.
When questioned about the items by his supervisor, Huntsman said he had left the chain in the cup holder in his police car inside a glove and had forgotten about it - but denied having the cash.
The money was later found under the seat in Huntsman's cruiser, police said. Despite the evidence and the footage, Huntsman maintained he was innocent.
He was arrested in November 2012 and left the state troopers in May 2013.
The victim's family said they were relieved that the case was over.

'John didn't deserve his memory to be tarnished like this and we are finally glad it’s almost over,' Scalesse’s mother, Marguerite, told the Post. 'After all we have gone through we are glad that he (Huntsman) at least didn’t make us go through a trial.'
Huntsman will be sentenced on October 3, where he is expected to get 16 months in prison followed by five years of probation.
He could have faced up to 10 years in prison but Superior Court Judge Robert Devlin said he would impose the shorter term but Huntsman's lawyer can still argue for a lesser term.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ts-body-crash-scene-dashcam-recorded-act.html

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Trooper-pleads-guilty-to-stealing-from-crash-5626425.php

Last edited:

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Sounds like a real dumbass.

If he wanted to rob the dead and get away with it, he should have become a politician, not a cop.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
isn`t there a single thread for Police misdeeds??
I know...I am joking.......just wowza.....
The $3,700 dollars was worth giving up his pension??

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
isn`t there a single thread for Police misdeeds??
I know...I am joking.......just wowza.....
The $3,700 dollars was worth giving up his pension??

Since he didn't think he would get caught, apparently so.

And if he was stealing money from a possible drug deal, which wasn't technically owned by the deceased, he might have also made himself a target from criminals. Because if large sums of money are involved in some illicit or even a legal activity, someone else is likely to be missing it. And they will certainly know if the money was properly turned in and documented or not.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
He didn't know he hated himself so badly his unconscious found a way to put him in prison by stealing as he filmed himself. We create what we fear.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
The entitlement attitude knows no bounds. I'm happy when scum like this get caught, prosecuted, and found guilty.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
This asshole better not become a cop again when he gets out. His ass better be sweeping hallways or flipping burgers somewhere.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
This asshole better not become a cop again when he gets out. His ass better be sweeping hallways or flipping burgers somewhere.

His ass probably wont be able to do much after hes done spending a year with the people he helped put in prison :D

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Sadly, I'm kind of surprised he got more than a mere slap on the wrist. I was half expecting to read that he was suspended without pay for a month or something, but good to see they took some stronger action. This was probably not an isolated incident, I'm sure he did a lot more stuff in his 18 year career as a trooper that he got away with.....

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
What is unbelievable about this, is the fact he was recorded on his own dashcam stealing from the deceased victim, which is what initially incriminated him for theft, when the family complained. Then when he was confronted and denied stealing, the money and chain was found in his car. Well DOH!

Some cops get so used to confiscating money they find when they pull over and search people who can't immediately prove how they got it and have to go to court to get it back later, that they end up thinking it's perfectly OK to steal found money and jewelery off a dead body at a crash scene.

And this guy was a trooper for 18 years. He was certainly no wet behind the ears flat foot who didn't know better. Which makes one wonder what else he probably stole in his career and got away with.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ts-body-crash-scene-dashcam-recorded-act.html

http://www.ctpost.com/local/article/Trooper-pleads-guilty-to-stealing-from-crash-5626425.php

My bet is on NO time in jail and sixteen months probation.

Status
Not open for further replies.