Connecticut School shooting!

Page 47 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
If somebody wants to do a mass shooting they are going to prepare and plan to do it.

And what's the safest place to do so? Gun free zone.

We must end defenseless victim zones now. No delay.

Notice the mall shooting a week ago that was ended by somebody carrying a weapon has disappeared from any news coverage. Not a peep.

Apr 27, 2012
If somebody wants to do a mass shooting they are going to prepare and plan to do it.

Notice the mall shooting a week ago that was ended by somebody carrying a weapon has disappeared from any news coverage. Not a peep.

Most people have no idea about this because of the liberal bias and propaganda from the media.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005

No you don't hear anything about the Nick Meli because his account is debatable at best complete rubbish most likely.

What Nick Meli states is contradictory to the evidence at the mall.
It is possible that the mere presence of him caused the shooter to run down the stairs another couple of hundred feet and then shoot himself.

More likley it was the 1 minute response time from law enforcement.

Police already stated he did fire again after the gun Jam, contradictory to Nick Meli's account.

Don't let the facts get into the way of your circle jerk though.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Meh. Nick Meli might or might not be full of shit. The local news in Portland is useless. A coworker knew one of the victims and he said almost all the info on him is wrong. No doubt the same can be said for the CT coverage.

But the news media will never cover a defense use of a CCW. I remember when this happened: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_School_of_Law_shooting

Not a word.

Well its not if he is full of shit or not, its whether his actions caused the shooter to kill himself earlier. That I think is bullshit, Nick was on the upper level, I think if the shooter seeing him is what led to him shooting himself, he wouldn't have run downstairs and a couple hundred feet them popped himself. Especially since the Gun jam was on the upper level and Police report indicates he fired more shots after unjamming. Contradictory to Nicks account that he didn't hear him shoot after the gun Jam, we know via police he did shoot more after. I dont blame Nick, as he was running for cover in a store.

What most certainly did not happen though is Nick Meli did not stop the shooter in any way shape or form.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Well my ffl class 1 dealer is. coming though.

10 lowers and two ak47s will soon be mine when I pick them up.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
And this is relevant because . . . ?

I don't think you quite understand what is going on right now regarding weapon, magazine and ammo purchases right now. Everything is cleared out. Think grocery store before big snow storm, bare shelves.

The greatest firearm salesman ever known is Obama. Records have been broken every single month since he was elected, now it's WAY worse than 2008.

So much so that NICS was shut down today. Thankfully, I don't have to go through a NICS background check when I purchase.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2012
I don't think you quite understand what is going on right now regarding weapon, magazine and ammo purchases right now. Everything is cleared out. Think grocery store before big snow storm, bare shelves.

The greatest firearm salesman ever known is Obama. Records have been broken every single month since he was elected, now it's WAY worse than 2008.

So much so that NICS was shut down today. Thankfully, I don't have to go through a NICS background check when I purchase.

That pos obama doesn't even believe in freedom so it makes a lot of sense how people are buying up more guns.

Feb 10, 2000

All that tells me is that the American public is incredibly gullible and prepared to spend its money irrationally. If I were you I'd probably rather have a car with fewer than 300K miles than many copies of the same guns and magazines, but then again I am a car guy much more than a gun guy (and I do like both).

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
All that tells me is that the American public is incredibly gullible and prepared to spend its money irrationally. If I were you I'd probably rather have a car with fewer than 300K miles than many copies of the same guns and magazines, but then again I am a car guy much more than a gun guy (and I do like both).

A car is an expense, not an asset (except in the most rare circumstances).

Weapons are a capital asset, not an expense, with extremely long depreciation schedule. Given pending political climate those capital assets could appreciate by many, many, many orders of magnitude.

Feb 10, 2000
A car is an expense, not an asset (except in the most rare circumstances).

Weapons are a capital asset, not an expense, with extremely long depreciation schedule. Given pending political climate those capital assets could appreciate by many, many, many orders of magnitude.

In some cases, yes, though I very much enjoy cars and can easily afford to have some I find interesting. Regardless I don't see what any of this has to do with the CT shooting itself, which is the topic of this thread.

For what it's worth I doubt very much that President Obama will handle this situation any different legislatively than Romney had, had he won. Certainly if your prediction of a President Perry had occurred it might be handled differently, but he never had any serious chance of being elected.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
You have got to be fucking kidding me. This president is calling for an awb and using tradgedy for political purposes.

You're obviously not paying attention to him or what's going on right now.

If he was calling for a v6 and v8 ban maybe you would. It's equivalent. I mean nobody needs that kind of power.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
No you don't hear anything about the Nick Meli because his account is debatable at best complete rubbish most likely.

What Nick Meli states is contradictory to the evidence at the mall.
It is possible that the mere presence of him caused the shooter to run down the stairs another couple of hundred feet and then shoot himself.

More likley it was the 1 minute response time from law enforcement.

Police already stated he did fire again after the gun Jam, contradictory to Nick Meli's account.

Don't let the facts get into the way of your circle jerk though.

Oh, you mean facts like "most likely", "it is possible", and "more likely?" Yeah, you'd definitely qualify for a mainstream media reporter with those kinds of facts.

And way to ignore and divert the underlying issue, like a real pro.... If you knew anything at all about violent crime, then you'd know that the criminals prefer to attack a target where they have the advantage, as opposed to a hard target that will cost them their lives. They will use planning and observation before carrying out the actual attack, and they will not go on a shooting spree at a gun range that will render them dead before the cops even show up.

Secondly, the cops are always the second responders to a crime. The first responders are the actual people involved in the initial confrontation. Even if the cops get there in 1 minute, it's not gonna do you any good when you have seconds to act that will determine whether you live or die.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
In some cases, yes, though I very much enjoy cars and can easily afford to have some I find interesting. Regardless I don't see what any of this has to do with the CT shooting itself, which is the topic of this thread.

For what it's worth I doubt very much that President Obama will handle this situation any different legislatively than Romney had, had he won. Certainly if your prediction of a President Perry had occurred it might be handled differently, but he never had any serious chance of being elected.

He might also be able to afford a better car were he to refrain from betting thousands of dollars on politics.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
It's going to be an interesting month of January, that's for sure. In terms of the media, it seems everyone and their mother is going after assault weapons, demonizing the NRA, with mental health and all the actual underlying issues completely marginalized.

Nevermind that there are many levels of regulation between what we have now and a ban, that might stop such tragedies just as effectively; care to explore any of those? Nope, straight to a complete, blanket ban. Because the vast majority doesn't own assault weapons, so they're an easy target for pathetic legislation, and politicians can pat themselves on the back until the next shooting.

And people wonder why approval ratings of the legislative branch are sub 20%. Stupid knee jerk reaction after stupid knee jerk reaction.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2000
He might also be able to afford a better car were he to refrain from betting thousands of dollars on politics.

Indeed.

I find it more troubling that such an angry, emotionally unstable person is hoarding so many guns and anxiously awaiting the start of the "race war." Fortunately he is in the sticks of Kentucky or Tennessee if memory serves.

Feb 10, 2000
You have got to be fucking kidding me. This president is calling for an awb and using tradgedy for political purposes.

You're obviously not paying attention to him or what's going on right now.

If he was calling for a v6 and v8 ban maybe you would. It's equivalent. I mean nobody needs that kind of power.

I absolutely am paying attention to what is going on, including the fact that many legislators on both sides of the aisle with A ratings from the NRA are at least paying lip service to changing gun laws. Really, though, who cares? I very much doubt the house will go for it, but even if they do, there are millions and millions of ARs and AKs on the used market. Similarly, while I prefer inline sixes, there will never be a shortage of performance cars (which are not in danger of being legislated out of production anyway). You act as though the world would come to an end if a new AWB were passed - that didn't happen last time, did it?

You and many others are also using this tragedy for political purposes, by calling for the removal of gun free zones. Like most people, you are being myopic and hypocritical about this incident.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I absolutely am paying attention to what is going on, including the fact that many legislators on both sides of the aisle with A ratings from the NRA are at least paying lip service to changing gun laws. Really, though, who cares? I very much doubt the house will go for it, but even if they do, there are millions and millions of ARs and AKs on the used market. Similarly, while I prefer inline sixes, there will never be a shortage of performance cars (which are not in danger of being legislated out of production anyway). You act as though the world would come to an end if a new AWB were passed - that didn't happen last time, did it?

You and many others are also using this tragedy for political purposes, by calling for the removal of gun free zones. Like most people, you are being myopic and hypocritical about this incident.

Not defending Spidey or saying an AWB would be the end of the world, but assault weapons are a much needed buffer zone for gun rights IMO.

Say we go into fantasy land, the ban on everything from hi-cap mags to assault weapons is perfect. What happens when the next shooting happens with 10 round mags?

If the Clinton AWB were still in place today, the only difference is we'd be debating banning guns with detachable magazines, although that would admittedly be a much harder fight than assault weapons.

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
It should be noted once more that CT has a Clinton-like AWB in place. I don't see how it follows that nationwide reinstatement of similar legislation would help prevent something like this from happening.

Moreover, in the recent news, the rhetoric from a handful of lawmakers is "we must do something about this, therefore I support the AWB," which, based on my previous paragraph and a great deal of historical evidence presented even in ATOT threads, is a non sequitur.