Connected to the access point but cannot find the Internet

imported_Sasha

Aug 29, 2004
Linksys WRT54G (v.2) Wireless-G router w/192.168.1.1 LAN-IP (gateway)
Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter in PC#2 w/192.168.1.10 static IP.
MAC filtering for the Wireless-G PCI adapter & WEP shared key

Wired PC#1 w/192.168.1.5 and PC#3 w/192.168.1.15 static IPs.
All PCs have 255.255.255.0 subnet mask & hard DNS set. All PCs on same 'workgroup'.

I unchecked a box in Network Connections on PC#2 that otherwise would have had XP use WirelessZero controlling the connection. I installed the Linksys connection utility. After wrestling with PC#2 on Saturday for several hours I got not only connected to the access point (Wireless-G PCI adapter refers to the WRT54G as a wireless access point) but I also got onto the Internet and downloaded some critical updates for PC#2.

Sunday it all worked. This morning the Wireless-G PCI adapter being controlled by the Linksys connection utility is reporting that its connected to the access point, but cannot find the Internet. This is what I ran into for several hours on Saturday.

Now, I presumed that in order to connect to the access point it had to be able to reach the 192.168.1.1 address of the router. So, if it is connected to the router why should it not be able to route to the Internet? All wired PCs can reach the Internet. PC#2 (wireless) cannot ping 192.168.1.1, nor can the router itself ping the 192.168.1.10 address of PC#2.

I double-checked to make sure the WirelessZero feature is still unchecked in Network Connections, which was a previous reason why I had this problem. Still, I am lost here. Its not a WEP issue nor a MAC filtering issue--both would otherwise prohibit connection to the access point.

Anyone got any ideas?

Creedyou

Dec 28, 2001
1) make sure the WEP key and other settings are correct in Linksys utility
2) check firewall settings...including XP firewall.

imported_Sasha

Aug 29, 2004
Unless something went horribly wrong (and on its own), I have not changed anything in the router or PC#2. The only firwall setting I do have on the router is Block Anonymous Internet Requests, which is WAN-side. The XP Firewall is turned off on all PCs.

Hmm, now the Wireless-G PCI adapter is reporting an inability to see/connect to the access point. Strange. I even C&P to a CD-R the WEP keys just to make sure no typing errors were at hand.