Connect Xbox 360 to computer through HDMI

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by soybeast, Sep 6, 2008.

1. soybeast

soybeast Senior member

Hey everyone, I just bought a 360 after the price drop and want to hook it up to my computer/monitor. I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to plug a hdmi cable into the 360 then into my radeon 4850 via the DVI->HDMI converter? Or would I have to plug it directly into my monitor, forgoing the audio through hdmi?

Thanks!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Connect Xbox computer Forum Date
    How to connect Intellivision Flashback to TV that only has HDMI available? Console Gaming Dec 29, 2016
    Could i connect two ps4 controllers on 1 pc? Console Gaming Jun 24, 2015
    If I have a modded / banned Xbox 360 could I connect the Kinect to it? Console Gaming Dec 19, 2013
    Xbox internet connection trouble Console Gaming Oct 23, 2012
    Xbox Live connection problems, December 2011 Update Console Gaming Dec 25, 2011

3. soybeast

soybeast Senior member

I also tried using the component HD cable that came w/ the 360 and plugging it into the component HD-> s-video converter that came with my video card but that didn't work either.......

4. Queasy

Queasy Moderator<br>Console Gaming

You're better off hooking it straight into your monitor. There will be a slight video delay when running it through your computer which will cause problems.

Best bet is to hook it directly to your monitor and find an alternate way to hook it up to your speakers.

5. DaveSimmons

DaveSimmons Elite Member

Most video cards can't do video capture, just output.

If you bought a high-def capture card it might have HDMI or DVI passthrough but it might have lag, and like Queasy said, many standard-def capture cards do have lag (and they are low-resolution too, only 480p).

6. Ruptga

Ruptga Lifer

audio is easy, any Radioshack should have what you need to convert to a standard 1/8in audio jack

7. soybeast

soybeast Senior member

awesome, thanks for the quick replies.......

Just curious, would the audio plugs still work while the hdmi is plugged in?

8. Queasy

Queasy Moderator<br>Console Gaming

Ehhh.....the problem is that MS put the HDMI port too close the A/V port. The connector box on the A/V cable with the optical out is too big to have it and the HDMI hooked up at the same time.

Your options are to either buy the over-priced HDMI AV cable kit or simply take the existing A/V cable housing apart

9. soybeast

soybeast Senior member

wow that's pretty stupid. ah well, I'll just do the 'hack' and I'll be good to go. thanks for the answers!