Connect SATA drive to HTPC

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
Hey guys,

I currently have an NAS enclosure which has a 3TB SATA drive in it. I also have an HTPC - a revo RL70.

I'm trying to get rid of the NAS and connect the drive directly to the HTPC. some considerations:

1) Don't want to use USB, as the htpc only has USB2.0 and I'm trying to up the speed (only get 20mb/s from NAS to even a hard wired PC, even though both are gigabit).
2) I cracked open the HTPC - it has a spare SATA data port and a cpu fan connector.

Problem is that while I can get the data cable connected, I don't have anything to power the drive.

Any suggestions? I've looked for USB power setups but all of those actually use usb to transfer data. I literally just want to power the drive!

Hellhammer

AnandTech Emeritus
Apr 25, 2011
Since it's a 3.5" drive, it can't be powered through USB anyway. What you could do is get an enclosure with its own power supply (i.e. power from a socket) and then simply use it to supply power for the drive while the SATA connection comes directly from the HTPC. You will likely need something like this and you also may have to take the enclosure apart but it should work.