Question connect laptop(vga) and pc(hdmi) to one monitor ,signal lost in vga.

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
hi my laptop has resolution 1280x720
my pc with gt730 nvidea has resolution 1728x 864 ( and i have shrinked screen size as its too big for me in this monitor)
when i connect both the plugs..it works good for the pc ,but when i go for laptop..it isnt showing anything,no signal and monitor goes standby,so i restarted by trying crt/lcd fn key while booting laptop..the boot screen came,windows logo came..then it went off and no signal .
i request here to anyone guide me what can be done to use both laptop and pc same time switching between hdmi /vga when needed.thanks

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
It may be some HDCP stuff kicking in on the monitor itself, or the screen resolution difference, meaning the resolution set may not be supported by monitor.
Does it have more than one HDMI input?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I guess I mis-read this thread OP at first. I thought that you were talking about a laptop, with both a VGA and HDMI output, but you are talking about a dual-input LCD monitor, that has VGA and HDMI inputs, and you want to use one each of those inputs, with both a laptop and a desktop, correct?

There's no reason that you shouldn't be able to do that.

It sounds to me, that you're having dual-monitor issues with your laptop configuration, having the laptop screen active, as well as plugged into the LCD monitor, running at (apparently?) a different resolution than the native laptop display. Or maybe the output connected from the laptop to the LCD monitor IS running at the same resolution as the laptop's native display, and that resolution is not supported by the LCD monitor, and it is going black.

You also may have to use Winkey+P (projector mode), and select one of the options, to duplicate your screen across both outputs, or extend, or whatever.

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
It may be some HDCP stuff kicking in on the monitor itself, or the screen resolution difference, meaning the resolution set may not be supported by monitor.
Does it have more than one HDMI input?
thank you for replying me, no just one hdmi port,one vga port in lcd monitor.

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
I guess I mis-read this thread OP at first. I thought that you were talking about a laptop, with both a VGA and HDMI output, but you are talking about a dual-input LCD monitor, that has VGA and HDMI inputs, and you want to use one each of those inputs, with both a laptop and a desktop, correct?

There's no reason that you shouldn't be able to do that.

It sounds to me, that you're having dual-monitor issues with your laptop configuration, having the laptop screen active, as well as plugged into the LCD monitor, running at (apparently?) a different resolution than the native laptop display. Or maybe the output connected from the laptop to the LCD monitor IS running at the same resolution as the laptop's native display, and that resolution is not supported by the LCD monitor, and it is going black.

You also may have to use Winkey+P (projector mode), and select one of the options, to duplicate your screen across both outputs, or extend, or whatever.
thanks for replying .yes you are correct ,my lcd monitor has one vga and one hdmi port. my laptops max resolution is 1280 x 800 and in lcd monitor i am using resolution 1728 x 864 with nvidea gt730 graphic card(no inbuilt video in mobo). yes i tried the projector mode from laptop,it dint work,it was still blank,then i restarted the laptop with projector mode,it went till windows logo then no signal message comes. oh i forgot to mention one thing,when i tried safe mode,i could enter into the laptop in lcd monitor. any settings i could tweak in laptop ? or anywhere else?

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
thank you for replying me, no just one hdmi port,one vga port in lcd monitor.
Possible to list the make and model of the LCD monitor?
That may help others to figure something out.

Other question is, are you trying to use both machines at same time like with a split screen configuration or would each machine have display on the monitor only during time when each machine is being used?

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
hi,sorry for late reply, also i dint try to keep same resolution..been busy. and the lcd is acer , no not trying to use in split screen configuration,i would like to change to laptop screen sometimes.. for example .. after going to monitor settings i would like to change the input from hdmi to vga and back again. this is how i want to use them both at same time with both computer and laptop running. thanks for replying me
21.5" Acer B227Qbmiprczx ,

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
Possible to list the make and model of the LCD monitor?
That may help others to figure something out.

Other question is, are you trying to use both machines at same time like with a split screen configuration or would each machine have display on the monitor only during time when each machine is being used?
hi, could my model mean anything here ?

Mantrid-Drone

Mar 15, 2014
You want the laptop and PC to display on the same monitor and not in a preview pane ie. PIP, which would likely need third party software anyway. The only simple way short of using some sort of input switcher hardware is to use the monitor's own menu options to switch the input source from the HDMI PC one to the laptop's VGA.

I mean how is this supposed to work otherwise? What key do you press to swap between laptop output display and PC output display when using one monitor?

Presumably the monitor prioritises the PC's HDMI source.

Only other solution I've heard of for this sort of purpose is using a remote desktop client. In simple terms you control you laptop via a network connection with your PC.

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
You want the laptop and PC to display on the same monitor and not in a preview pane ie. PIP, which would likely need third party software anyway. The only simple way short of using some sort of input switcher hardware is to use the monitor's own menu options to switch the input source from the HDMI PC one to the laptop's VGA.

I mean how is this supposed to work otherwise? What key do you press to swap between laptop output display and PC output display when using one monitor?

Presumably the monitor prioritises the PC's HDMI source.

Only other solution I've heard of for this sort of purpose is using a remote desktop client. In simple terms you control you laptop via a network connection with your PC.

i want my monitor to work like a tv ,where i could change the channel to see one at a time. there is a menu option in monitor where i can switch input between hdmi and vga. so my idea is to run both computer and laptop and switch the input to vga for laptop ( yes i press lcd function,it transfers the screen to vga input but not working in my monitor except safemode) .
so when i need to work on computer ,i would swtich to hdmi input and vga input for laptop one at a time.
yes i need the internet for it all the time if i want to use remote desktop,so looking for a easier way ,but it just doesnt work with laptop vga ,giving me no signal after the boot (but works good in safe mode).

Mantrid-Drone

Mar 15, 2014
With the laptop you will have to set that up to display both on its own screen and the external monitor. I forget the exact method but it is basically setting them to display the same thing. Both your external screen and laptop screen should be detected and shown as separate monitors ie. 1 and 2.

I was using a WinXP laptop with an external monitor + its own screen for years but the monitor only had one input (VGA) so I never tried or thought of trying what you want to do.

You may get some joy by going to: Control Panel > Appearance and Personlizaton > Display (or equivalent if using Win10) and alter some of the monitor settings there to get it to work as you want. But what settings? I can't advise.

meganin

Jan 19, 2017
With the laptop you will have to set that up to display both on its own screen and the external monitor. I forget the exact method but it is basically setting them to display the same thing. Both your external screen and laptop screen should be detected and shown as separate monitors ie. 1 and 2.

I was using a WinXP laptop with an external monitor + its own screen for years but the monitor only had one input (VGA) so I never tried or thought of trying what you want to do.

You may get some joy by going to: Control Panel > Appearance and Personlizaton > Display (or equivalent if using Win10) and alter some of the monitor settings there to get it to work as you want. But what settings? I can't advise.
mm thanks..will see if i get anything and be back...thanks for answering here.